Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Wombat]
i forgot to mention this part...ive split the chest armor into two sections, front and back, and permanently glued a section of elastic on the bottom corners and the top sections (one under and over each arm, in other words). This makes the section easier to put on, and it stays perfectly in place as long as the length of the elastic is spot on, and you reinfore the paper where the "joints" are. So rather than struggling into my chest armor, i just pull the two sides apart, position them, and voila! ive got it.

I also use the above technique on the waist piece, except this one is buckled. I hide the buckle behind the "belt boxes" though, so theyre not really visible.

I also like your idea for the shoes; im glad i havent glued the paper soles on yet, i want to do some fiddling now. the only issue with your idea is that if you use the expanding foam, youll have to find a way of sealing it across the bottom, because foam can be kinda weak when exposed to a lot of pressure. Also, insulation rubber can be used on the paper soles to great effect. it usually comes in cuttable sheets with its own adhesive, just print out a sole template and cut away.
[End Wombat]

personally though im getting tired of all this gorram paper cutting/gluing and all the crap that is to come. im getting too stressed out trying to have it done before the 29th (im conducting a halloween pops concert version of the Halo theme played by my alma mater...really big deal for me, those 4yrs in band were some of the best in my life). This is why im leaving the vast majority of my padding and electronics until after; i can easily finish those parts in two days, but i still have a new helmet section to makeand all my pieces to resin and paint, so...ugh...

[EDIT] Blast, i forgot about my assault rifle...thats another piece i have to finish before i can allow myself to sleep tonight... *audible sigh* that also means i need to get more foam, as the boots took up almost all that i had...

i need a vacation lol

[PS] as soon as i finish my helmet and waist, ill post my body measurements and the scales i used, to help give some real-world data to the community.

Hey, this is my first pep armor, and I'm just wondering if the scaling will work for my size head. I'm 6', athletic build, but I got a kinda big dome. I wear a 7 3/8 size hat, so if anyone wears that size or somewhere around there, could you tell me which scaling factor you used, and how it worked out?

[murray]
use dwoo's table for helmet size, it works quite well.
dwoo said:
-------HELMET(Measure around the largest part of the head, with tape above brow)
SCALE---------HEAD MEASUREMENT (inches)
23----------------19.5
22------------20
22.55---------20.5
23.1----------21
23.65---------21.5
24.2----------22
24.75---------22.5
25.3--------------23
25.85--------23.5
26.4---------24
26.95--------24.5
27.5---------25
28.05--------25.5
28.6---------26
29.15--------26.5
29.7---------27
[END Murray]

[arkanor]
in pepakura, open up a foot piece, and look at the dimensions (youll need to convert them from cm to in, but thats easy)
[END Arkanor]

Last edited by a moderator:
CaelenVasius said:
[EDIT] Blast, i forgot about my assault rifle...thats another piece i have to finish before i can allow myself to sleep tonight... *audible sigh* that also means i need to get more foam, as the boots took up almost all that i had...

i need a vacation lol

[PS] as soon as i finish my helmet and waist, ill post my body measurements and the scales i used, to help give some real-world data to the community.

I just finished the PEP MA5C AR... BOY was that a lot of work!!!! It is about 4 times more complicated than the helmet ... Way Too many small folds! I have been working on it for over 2 weeks. I finaly gave up on all the small parts and just taped over some areas (tiny ridges etc.) I will resin it tonight, fill it with foam tomorrow. and add details later.

I Have also just finished a Energy sword out of plexiglass. Check out the wepons thread. I will post pics of both in a day or two.

Wombat

[wombat]
Im simplifying my AR, so none of the obsenly hard pieces for me (i only have the wekend left pretty much, so i have an excuse).
[END wombat]

Ok everyone, i said id post my measurements/scale, and now that im done, i will.

MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT = 71"
WEIGHT = approx 210 lbs.
FOREHEAD = 24"
WAIST = 40"
BICEP = 14"
THIGH = 20.5"
FOOT = US Men's Size 14 (approx 11" heel to toe)

SCALING (with modifications made)
HELMET = 27 [With the necessary neck trimming, otherwise worked fine]
CHEST = 25.05 [With buckles/straps, fine]
WAIST = 30 [With buckles/straps, fine]
SHOULDER = 25.05
FOREARM = 25.05 [Trimmed a bit off the wrist]
THIGH = 26.25 [Trimmed a bit off the inside]
SHIN = 25.75
FOOT = 25.05

(And for an added bonus, i scaled the AR model to 1856, which is scale to me as it is scale to MC in the game.)

OK I just finished most of my parts. I used very different scales and made many adjustments along the way (i'm short and have a strange shaped body lol (little chubby as well).

The problem I've run into is this. Most of my items were scaled between 25-27 (the chest was at 27 which worked great for me!)

My only concern is it SEEMS the helmet is a bit big.I've seen some guys scale their helmets to 27...which seems HUGE. Mine is a 25.3 and just feel/looks BIG.

Please take a look at my photos and tell me if you think I should drop the helmet down to 24 maybe...

Thanks fellas!!! PM me w/ your comments. Thanks for all your help Dwoo, Wombat, Adam, and Mac.

yeah you're helmet does look quite large. I scaled my helmet to 24.6 because that was my "scale" from the formula and its actually quite small, i had to cut alot away to fit my head in.

thefreeman said:
yeah you're helmet does look quite large. I scaled my helmet to 24.6 because that was my "scale" from the formula and its actually quite small, i had to cut alot away to fit my head in.

Wow - thats 24.6? Well in that case I may just leave mine where it is. Maybe once I get it to sit on my head right it will look OK. I think it would look worse if it were too small.

Okay, so in making this helmet, when I size it to me, is there a lot of room for padding on the inside? Or is "perfect" fitting mean there's no room for padding? I want to make this as perfect (the works) as possible (I have until Christmas). Pretty much, do I have to scale up more if I want there to be padding? The padding I would use would probably maximum be about 1/3" thick

I just wanted to post a thanks to dwoo and others who've done scaling calculations. Their scaling tables worked perfectly for the applicable parts while the ones I tried to eyeball and scale myself need to be rebuilt. I'll definitely post my scales and measurements when I get everything done to try and help out.

I admit, though, I shed some elegant, dignified tears over the incorrectly built parts.

I'm confused, what's the difference between the mark v and vi armor? Is the armor we download always mark six? Which looks cooler?

And why don't I have permission to post new topics yet? Post count limit?

willpower102 said:
I'm confused, what's the difference between the mark v and vi armor? Is the armor we download always mark six? Which looks cooler?

MkIV is going to be featured in Halo Wars, and was the first generation of functional MJOLNIR armor. It did not have energy shields and was very bulky, although it did have a high amount of armor. Pep files do not exist for this armor generation, although one could conceivably scatchbuild it from concept art.

MkV is the armor from Halo 1, and it was the first to have energy shielding. It was slimmer than the MkIV, but offered more protection armor-wise. Pep files exist for this generation, though they are rare; only a few people here even have them, much less have a suit.

MkVI is that from Halo 2 & 3. Bungie has stated that there is no difference between the two versions of the MkVI save for asthetic (visual) differences. The armor overall was much improved over the MkV, having stronger and faster recharging shields, more armor and first aid capabilities, and augmenting the user's strength, endurance, and speed about 3x more than the MkV. The armor included a new generation of hydrostatic gel layers, much improved over the older versions, allowing a SPARTAN to survive a fall from approximately 3km with little to no permanent damage. The armor included a more robust COM system, an integrated viewfinder, and an upgraded navigation system. Its cybernetics were also vastly improved, allowing an onboard AI unit more freedom. The Halo 2 version is the default pep suit, though files for certain peices of the Halo 3 armor are sure to exist somewhere.

I based the scale of the diaper piece off of Caelen Vasius' post (thanks!) and it ended up fitting me perfectly once it's in place although I can't slide it on without breaking a seam; I'll just use elastic and/or buckles later. Anyways, the scale seems to be 75% of your waist circumference in inches. You take your waist measurement by wrapping measuring tape around yourself just under the belly button- read the tape after breathing out slowly. Take this number and multiply it by 0.75, if you're using a metric measuring tape convert to inches by multiplying the measurement in centimetres by 0.3937.

spartancaboose said:
would your weight matter?

just a Q i thought when i was reading this

It depends if it affects your build. For example, two people could be 160 pounds while one is pretty chubby and the others' weight is mostly muscle.

SH_Jack said:
I based the scale of the diaper piece off of Caelen Vasius' post (thanks!) and it ended up fitting me perfectly once it's in place although I can't slide it on without breaking a seam; I'll just use elastic and/or buckles later. Anyways, the scale seems to be 75% of your waist circumference in inches. You take your waist measurement by wrapping measuring tape around yourself just under the belly button- read the tape after breathing out slowly. Take this number and multiply it by 0.75, if you're using a metric measuring tape convert to inches by multiplying the measurement in centimetres by 0.3937.
It depends if it affects your build. For example, two people could be 160 pounds while one is pretty chubby and the others' weight is mostly muscle.

I printed mine tonight based on a 26.10809 scale as per the scaling formula.
I didn't even bother finishing it. Half way through, I realized it was really about HALF the size I needed for my head.

Are these things in Pepa at a good scale to begin with?
I'm a big dude. 6'3 225 lbs.

Any thoughts?

For the helmet try my posted helmet scale table (#98) on this same thread. It is based on your head measurement not a formula based on your height. There are also tables for the upper arm and thigh.

Although the 26.10809 scale is in the average sized head range. Maybe check your print settings. My first printed helmet would have fit a grapefruit, then I reread the pepakura tut on the print settings and paper size.

If more people contribute, we can one day compile tables for all the armor pieces.

-dwoo

[TO willpower102]
Thanks, I strive to be the biggest Halo nerd I can be. I own all 4 fiction novels (great books, by the way), and visit HaloPedia almost every day. As a longtime tabletop RPG player, I've gotten used to absorbing every small detail and committing it to memory. ("Hey Caelen, what was that barkeep's name again?")
[END willpower102]

[TO SH_Jack]
I'm glad I could help. If everybody can post their body measurements and the scaling they used and the results, we could make this scaling thread almost perfect.
[END SH_Jack]

OK, I'm going crazy here. I finished building my first helmet last night and found that it was a bit too small to fit on based upon the scaling methods outlined in this thread. I couldn't hardly get my head through the hole in the bottom without eliminating some of the pieces around the bottom. This was on the file entitled "MC Helmet" that Master Dave had made into a PDF (didn't use his PDF, though).

Now, I want to use Flying Squirl's detailed H3 helmet as my next build and want to be sure that it fits me. Here's the issue. FQ's scaling is a bit different than the other PDOs that have been discussed here before. His native scale is 0.255917 (using the "unwraped final h3 helm" file). I figured that I could base my needed head hole dimensions off of his supports. Using the support piece that goes from side to side along the head hole (see pic), the printed off piece (native scaling) gives me a head hole widest width of 5.5"! I measured my head and I get 23" circumference. Dwoo's chart shows that the scale should be 25.3 for a 23" head, which obviously won't work for this PDO. Rough measurements of my head from ear to ear (straightline distance) show that I would need 8" to comfortably fit my head into the hole. That's a scale factor of 1.4545 from what the helmet is currently scaled to, or .3722429. With that scale, the overall size of the helmet would be 39.3cm H x 34.4cm W x 49.4cm D. That's 15.5" high!! Something's not right here.

Can anyone give me an idea on where my math went awry? I do scaling work for a living (CAD designer) but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the proper dims.

[attachment=1152:Helmet_S...ng_Issue.JPG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back