Old/new Elite Sword "the Duel" Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdwombat

I was browsing through the weapons forum earlier and SPARTAN || had the same idea I did, except he took it one step further. He made a sketch which then Juliet 76 made into a Spec drawing with a few dimensions. The Forum was HERE. So I decided to build it. I made this template. So my next step is to trace it on to 1/4" or aluminum if that is too heavy, then cut it out with a Plasma cutter. I will of course add the black to make it look as close as possible. Any comments or suggestions as to improvements are always welcome! Hope you enjoy

Timothy Rodowicz said:
holy mabageebuz. that thing is huge, won't it be tiring if you have to carry it around for a while?

Not all props are made to be carried, some are just made to be awesome. I'm certainly going to watch this unfold.

But you have a good point Timothy. If it's going to be carried at conventions and the like, you'd wanna be able to fling it behind your back from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also in the middle of making MKVI armor. I have a plan to Glass in a small hook braced inside the armor sticking through just left and below of the right shoulder. It should have enough strength to hold it, as well as give me easy access. Assuming I can ever get the little details on the armor the way I like them. Just as Timothy said, I would hate to have to carry this thing around all day. :D

EDIT: I was hoping to get to the steel today, but it looks like I might not get to it till Monday.

Great lord in heaven! If that was steel I would buy one and make an awesome statue out of it... Like paint it black and stick it out of a rock after its backlit with blue LEDs, totally awesome either way. I seem to remember the Elite sword being 3 feet long, but it looks like you have created the one and only awsome master chief plasma LONGsword- for the ultimate ownage of covanantism! best of luck man, I think I need to go fix my jaw, it fell and broke...

that sword is sweet but im not sure if the hook would be able to hold it if it is made of metal, so i think that you should vacuum form a plastic one and then paint that, it would make it a lot esier to carry but it also may need some inner bracing to keep it from floping around, either way it looks great, best of luck

Spartan 129 said:
Great lord in heaven! If that was steel I would buy one and make an awesome statue out of it... Like paint it black and stick it out of a rock after its backlit with blue LEDs, totally awesome either way. I seem to remember the Elite sword being 3 feet long, but it looks like you have created the one and only awsome master chief plasma LONGsword- for the ultimate ownage of covanantism! best of luck man, I think I need to go fix my jaw, it fell and broke...

i believe it's from the 7 part movie that came out, Halo: Legends

UPDATE: Ok so after a little a little research I have changed tactics a little. I will be making 2 instead of 1. The first will still be the 1/4 inch steel replica for display and nothing more. Then I will make a "carry able" version from 18 gauge steel for the skeleton and plywood for the shape on the outside. And the display model should be done by middle of next week!

How are you planning to use that 5 thousandths of an inch steel to brace? Making a truss pattern or laying it flat?

Trigger said:
How are you planning to use that 5 thousandths of an inch steel to brace? Making a truss pattern or laying it flat?

I am just going to cut it out the same size as the template and plywood and sandwich it in the middle. If I recess the bolts inside the wood and through the steel, I should be able to hide them completely but still tighten them enough to use the steel as a semi flex brace. A friend of mine uses 18 gauge for alot of things and I did a little playing with it and it seems like it will work. if you don't think it will please tell me, I love advice. :D

I'm not that familiar with the strengths of sheet steel but you could recess the bolts in the plywood and then just cover it with some bondo :D It's a sound theory but you'll have to just do it and test it yourself cause I've never attempted something like that. If you bolt it all together you're adding a lot of rigidity to the steel I really don't know how much flex it will have I think that will depend on where you bolt it an how many bolts you put in it.

Wow... it's kewl to see someone actually working on a build-up of this piece from something that started out as a simple small-scale drawing. I feel honoured to know someone was inspired by something I drew up. Can't wait to see more progress on this, dude ;)

What material did you use for the template shown in the first post? :unsure

Spartan 129 said:

Timothy Rodowicz said:
i believe it's from the 7 part movie that came out, Halo: Legends

Timothy would be correct. As I'd explained in my own thread, this alternate design of the Covenant sword was seen in the short story "The Duel", one of seven seen on the HALO: Legends DVD.

Yes it is THAT big haha. I cut out the sword in 10 Gauge steel yesterday for the display model. I hand cut this first one with a plasma cutter for fun(I hadn't gotten to play with one before). It does not have very clean lines, but that was the way I wanted it. I wanted it to look rough. I started the first layer of Paint and today I should have it finished(fingers crossed). Look for the update later today.

SPARTAN II said:
Wow... it's kewl to see someone actually working on a build-up of this piece from something that started out as a simple small-scale drawing. I feel honoured to know someone was inspired by something I drew up. Can't wait to see more progress on this, dude ;)

What material did you use for the template shown in the first post? :unsure

I made the original template out of MDF with a Jigsaw and a lot of time drawing out the design on the MDF. I took the technical drawing and measured all the little teeth on paper. Then scaled it up the best I could, and I am very grateful to you for the original drawing. I hope I can live up to your expectations. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back