Paper Mache + Fiberglass qiestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTzOminousTic

Jr Member
I wanna make another deadmau5 helmet, Yes it has NOTHING relating to Halo but w/e.
I'm gonna make it using a beachball.
Instead of spending like 2 days on paper mache'ing doing 10+ layers, Do you think it would be better to do about 5 layers of paper mache and then a layer of fiberglass? :$ That would probably take 1 day instead of 2.

or can I just straight up apply fiberglass to a beachball?

Edit: Just noticed I spelled question wrong in the title. Can a mod fix it?

I think it may be a bit to difficult and round about to try to make one using a beach ball and papermache/fiberglass. I've looked into making one before and a few guides I saw used one of those big hamster balls as a base and went from there. Although, thinking about, it would all really depend on which version of his helmet your doing.

No one eeeever believes me, but...plaster wrap! (or plaster gauze) *cough* It's more expensive than simply using paper mache, but you can get a decent sized roll for about $15. You use it the same way you use paper mache (but with plain old water) and it dries nice and hard. It's safe against any material, even beach ball plastic. AND you can use fewer layers to get a decent thickness.

'Course, like paper mache, it's only going to be semi-smooth when you're done, but you can smooth it out using other methods. Bondo, paperclay, gesso, even plain old white glue...anyway you can google it if you want; it's something to consider. :p

or can I just straight up apply fiberglass to a beachball?

Fibreglass certainly, but which resins you can use depends on the ball's material. Not sure what they're made from, it is possible that polyester resin will dissolve it. Maybe epoxy or polyurethane resin would work.

Edit: Just noticed I spelled question wrong in the title. Can a mod fix it?

Edit your first post, go advanced, do it yourself.

I think it may be a bit to difficult and round about to try to make one using a beach ball and papermache/fiberglass. I've looked into making one before and a few guides I saw used one of those big hamster balls as a base and went from there. Although, thinking about, it would all really depend on which version of his helmet your doing.

I already made my papermache deadmau5 helmet.
Check it out!
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34670-WIP-Deadmau5-Skrillex-Deadmau5-head.?highlight=Deadmau5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back