Paper Mache..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

This seems nooby, but how do you make paper mache? I do know you use newspaper, flour, water, etc.

flour + water = glue. You add a lot of glue on the newspaper and you put the paper on the object. Then you add more glue on it. You may need to put maybe 5 coats if you want something strong.

(Not really strong, but it's better than nothing)

If you want something light and strong, use FiberGlass.

When I was in 6th grade, we had to put on a play for the school. To make some props, we used newspaper and tapioca (sp?) flour, boiled together to make a gooey sludge. The good thing about it is that it's easy to clean from you hands and it isn't extremely sticky, just slimy. It holds together pretty well. You just pour some of the mix into a tray (Pie tin works best), dip the newspaper in it, and then use two fingers to scrape off the excess sludge. Lay it onto your surface, smooth it out, and let it dry. It turns out pretty hard, but it's not the most sturdy thing you could use.

I just found out (stupid me) DO NOT USE PAPIER MACHE ON PEPAKURA STUFF! I just ruined one of my peps because it basically melted.

papamurf812 said:
I just found out (stupid me) DO NOT USE PAPIER MACHE ON PEPAKURA STUFF! I just ruined one of my peps because it basically melted.

what paper were you using card stock or printer? and did you tape it or hot glue it because tape will fall apart when you get it wet and printer paper will become very weak when it is wet

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my kids' armor with paper mache, see my gallery. Used wallpaper paste watered down just a little. Do be careful not to saturate any one area, mache a little then move to a different area. If you can control the saturation of the cardstock by the paste you can actually use it to your advantage to smooth out some of the boxy portions.

-dwoo

All I've done to starting my armor is downloaded the software and files. I plan to pep' my armor and resin or fibeerglass them to make them sturdy and then use this spray on metal coating to actually give it some strength and something better to paint on. I have used it before on other things and it actually works well. It saves time and money on buying metal and shaping it the right way.

Afterlife said:
All I've done to starting my armor is downloaded the software and files. I plan to pep' my armor and resin or fibeerglass them to make them sturdy and then use this spray on metal coating to actually give it some strength and something better to paint on. I have used it before on other things and it actually works well. It saves time and money on buying metal and shaping it the right way.

What spray on metal coating? can you give us a link to the product? I would like to see some pictures of some armor with this stuff on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back