Paper Weights: Lb To Gsm Conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the weekend, I bought some 200 gsm cardstock and tried to build a simple grenade but found that the cardstock was simple too flimsy even for that. What happened?!

Foxhop said:
On the weekend, I bought some 200 gsm cardstock and tried to build a simple grenade but found that the cardstock was simple too flimsy even for that. What happened?!

Personally, I would have gone for about 300 gsm. My printer can handle that thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ral Partha said:
Personally, I would have gone for about 300 gsm. My printer can handle that thickness.

Yeah that's what I girlfriend advised as well. Finding 300gsm may prove difficult, though. Have any ideas where I can get some? Officeworks didn't seem to have any (I'm down in Aus). So far, I've been using medium thickness (gsm unknown) poster board from the local news agent and gluing the Pepakura print-outs onto it piece by piece and then reversing the folds to building models with the paper on the inside in order to avoid having the paper peel and tear off of the outside on the models. While effective, this method has been more work than I think should be necessary, and, at times, hinders the accuracy of complex folds.

Great info!

YOu scared me at first though; I just finished three days of cutting out the ODST helmet, then read the 175-200 gsm thing. I looked at my paper and saw the big 100 lb. OH NO. Turns out it is 199 gsm, just in smaller type. Now to fold and glue!

As you can see I'm still VERY, VERY new on the forums and even more so on pepping and the like(still haven't started- I like to get heaps of inf first before I start anything) But I was wondering what types of printers would be able to print 175-250gsm and I wasn't really sure where to ask. I have a hp laserjet p2015dn and I have been on google looking to see the specs for it about what it can handle on printing(haven't found much of anything just pricing and other specifications but no hard evidence that it can print out 175-250gsm. Was wondering if maybe someone here would know or have some insight on the subject.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

I'm from Argentina and I can't tell you how grateful I am, sob sob *starts crying like a kid* just kidding XD

Great, now I have an equivalent measurement system, now I only need to know what the hell BONDO is and all those weird materials everyone uses XD

Thank God fiber glass is also called fiber glass in spanish xD

Cya!

Got some 250 GSM from Officeworks last night, haven't tried to build anything with it yet did do a test print though to see if the printer liked it (also a new printer), experimentation with making models this weekend. Also got some 200GSM just in case that didn't work out.

The 250 goes nicely through the basic mono Samsung laser printer (ML-1640) currently on special at Harvey Norman, does come out slightly curled however.

If you are using a laser printer be sure not to get coated photographic inkjet paper (seems to be the only heavy stuff sold anywhere other than officeworks in a ream that I can find), that may do bad things to the printer when it heats up and void warranty, also it costs too much.

Thanks man, This helped me A lot!

Here in Brazil is everything in Centimeters and millimeters, so you helped me!

Cheers from Brazil!

This severly confuses me. I'm using 65lb Cover but it says that it has a 176gsm. So is this okay to use???

This severly confuses me. I'm using 65lb Cover but it says that it has a 176gsm. So is this okay to use???

Yeah, confusion is part of the definition of the US paper weight system :)

If the package says it has 176 g/m², then I'd just assume that's right. If you want to make sure, just take the whole pack, calculate its total surface area (area of one sheet multiplied by number of sheets), weigh it and then divide weight by area. Use metric units (metres for the paper edges, consequently m² for the area and g for the weight).

Hi, first post here!

You aren't kidding about how confusing the US system is. I've been building my tester with Cardstock I have around the house, and it felt like what I'd describe as 110lb from previous experience. Turns out it's this 65lb Cover as well, and is 176 g/m². After some research, the same brand makes 90lb paper that's 162 g/m² and 110lb that's 197 g/m² :confused:confused. I'll buy a pack of the 197 g/m² for my first real parts, but I'm ordering some 280 g/m² as well for some of the bigger parts if that's indeed the way to go.

This thread has been very helpful for figuring this out, thanks!

Hi all,
I have a question about the life size link papercraft that you can find here: http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/life-sized-link-images/
I was looking about what paper i could use.. then i found this video on youtube :
where at 5.55 sec the guys show the paper he used...
So can you please say me what the exact conversion of that paper in gsm?
Thanks to all and sorry for my bad english..

So can you please say me what the exact conversion of that paper in gsm?

Don't worry about what he uses, just go and buy something between 200 and 250 g/m².
If you have to know: You can read on the package in the video that it's 65 lb cover. There's a great conversion tool here, according to which that equals 175 g/m².

Make sure to read, read, read and if you have questions search, search, search. You can start reading here, that list covers everything you need to start.

Thank you so much for this thread. I was gonna just guess at what type of card i needed untill i found this. Aussies use metric so pounds was beyond me.

I hope I don't bother you all with this question but I have no experience with what I am to do or use, I have been advised to use Card stock, but I don't know what printer best suits this need.

http://compubizusa.com/hp-deskjet-d2660-printer.html

Would this printer be suitable for being able to print the card stock that I need to be able to print out my project? Everyone's answer is greatly appreciated.

I Am working on a form fillable pdf file that can be freely distributed that will allow you to input measurements in inch increments for specific body sections and will also add 1.5" for padding room and convert to mm for scaling in Pepakura.

I've tried a few. 120gsm worked ok, but it was flimsy and warped when I rondoed it. That said, I made a decent looking chest piece out of it though I did need to do quite a lot of bondo work after to fix the warps. It utterly failed for a helmet though and the final thing came out really twisted when I rondoed it. It's great for fiddly High def models though, you can really get accurate folds since the tabs don't have much thickness at all.

Tried 300gsm too. That stuff's really tough but you have trouble folding fiddly high def models with it, your fingers also hurt after cutting out 30 sheets worth of shapes. My helmet's made from it, so it's also workable.

I'm now going with 220gsm, right in the middle to see what all the fuss is about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back