Papercraft and armour making

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's really no method to the madness once you print it out. Rather than cut every single piece before putting any of it together, I found a piece that connected to what I was already working on and cut that piece out, taped it on, and continued.

the hard thing for me is you dont know wich way to fole them so, i'll glue them together then find annother peice thats supposed to attatch then i have to tear the glue and fold it te other way

lol, guys it's really not that hard.

One type of dotted line is a mountain, that means you fold it with the line on the outside of the fold. The other type is a valley, which means it's on the inside so to speak (crevice is probably a better word).

The tabs always go on the inside of the 3d object.

Just completely fold each line the way it is supposed to go before you attach that piece to anything else. Then, as you are putting the pieces together, you will find that it really can't go any other way. The pieces you fit it against more or less make it bend to the exact amount that it needs to. And if you already have it bent, it just folds right up or pushes right out to where it's supposed to be.

This is a very cool idea... I think i'm going to make this thing out of card and fill it with great stuff and cardboard, then plaster or spackle the outside to make the curved parts...
I hear it's not that strong structurally. Has anyone though of just reinforcing the inside with some cardboard braces? You could use newspaper board too. It's really strong stuff. I made some armour from cardboard once that was strong enough to take a bullet (from a BB gun :) ). I mean, you can't make a house out of just walls and roofing... you need rafters, structure.
Just a thought.

Once I can get to my home comp, Ill try to compile everything into a single PDF file for easy download. I only have image shack though Im not sure if image shack will take a pdf file.
Does this site have a place to host the file?

Vista comes with a program called "my PDF" which if I right click on any file text or picture I can convert it to a PDF format. So Ill keep you all posted on that.

Great work fraz! I know everybody here appreciates all your work!

I have to also do this for 3 other costumes too! the 1978 cylon centurion, and an episode 2 and 3 clone trooper. So lots of work ahead.

skyguy said:
This is a very cool idea... I think i'm going to make this thing out of card and fill it with great stuff and cardboard, then plaster or spackle the outside to make the curved parts...
I hear it's not that strong structurally. Has anyone though of just reinforcing the inside with some cardboard braces? You could use newspaper board too. It's really strong stuff. I made some armour from cardboard once that was strong enough to take a bullet (from a BB gun :) ). I mean, you can't make a house out of just walls and roofing... you need rafters, structure.
Just a thought.

I'm actually thinking abut disassembling my helmet into 3 different pieces and putting in cardstock structure frames like you are suggesting. It would definately give it more stability. But with cardstock it is really a fairly stiff structure. Filling it with Great Stuff would be plenty to keep it in place to put on the fiberglass / spackle / whatever.

JediFraz said:
Hey Guys just back from a Con down in England. So I didn't get too much done last weekend. Still it's pretty quiet here at work so here's the next two parts.

http://www.JediFraz.com/Hosting/Misc/Left-Forearm.pdo
http://www.JediFraz.com/Hosting/Misc/Right-Forearm.pdo

Jedi, I really can't thank you enough for continuing the work on this. Thank you thank you thank you. :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
im going to try to use extensive cardboard bracing like criss cross rungs and use fibre glass strips on the inside and just fg resin on the outside.
then ill start cuting bits away like nextto/under/around the visor and add detaild cardboard bits. then finish the details with bondo

props to jedifraz too.
i tried to disasemble the mastercheif in 3dsmax but i havnt playd with 3d programs for almost 7 years hence i failed miserbly. lol

Does anyone know where MonsterMaker13 is? I haven't any posts by him on this and I think being a cardboard wizz already this would be awesome for him. I'm going to PM him.

Ah, and I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those pesky permissions..:)

Not at my desk, give me a moment to remote onto it.

-=Edit=-

Right. That should be it now.

Anyone think that this should be stickied, or a shorter general papercraft tutorial made?

Very useful. :mrgreen:

It's just so different from the old freeform scratbuilt method.

Je ne comprends pas comment qu'il travaille D: .

The good old days of pepakura, I remember having like, version 1.0 a long ways back. I downloaded a few of jeds files. I looked at them and noticed they must be scaled about right which is convient. However the fragmentation is horible but thats pepakura and bungie's fault. I was curious as to how these would actually be, err, stable. Personally, I wouldent want to be running around in a paper helmet =p.

The concept of using pepakura as a guide is good, but now you need to finnish this off by finding a way to keep it realitvly sturdy.

Good Luck ;-) .

-Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back