Pepakura FINISHED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, i would just like to congratulate you on this awesome piece of helmetage, Darthcalibar. I've just completed a pep of slyfo's H3 MK VI helmet, and was wondering how possible it would be to make one that looked molded. I have seen the light :)
Secondly, i dont quite understand how you did it. when you say its all only a single thickness, how did you get the relief, like under the brim? is it a single broken layer, ie the high bits are plastic and the lower bits are paper, or a double complete/broken layer, with low bits complete plastic and high bits bits of plastic?
thirdly, can anyone link me to some really comprehensive ref pics of the MK VI helmet? ive tried searching, but annoyingly enough the search wont allow anything with "MK VI" in it, because its too small, and the thread entitiled "Reference pics" only has one MK VI picture...

WookieLord said:
Firstly, i would just like to congratulate you on this awesome piece of helmetage, Darthcalibar. I've just completed a pep of slyfo's H3 MK VI helmet, and was wondering how possible it would be to make one that looked molded. I have seen the light :)
Secondly, i dont quite understand how you did it. when you say its all only a single thickness, how did you get the relief, like under the brim? is it a single broken layer, ie the high bits are plastic and the lower bits are paper, or a double complete/broken layer, with low bits complete plastic and high bits bits of plastic?
thirdly, can anyone link me to some really comprehensive ref pics of the MK VI helmet? ive tried searching, but annoyingly enough the search wont allow anything with "MK VI" in it, because its too small, and the thread entitiled "Reference pics" only has one MK VI picture...

"the high bits are plastic and the lower bits are paper" Yeah thats how i did the part under the brim, High parts plastic lower parts paper. As for reference pics i used some posted here a while ago. Just search for "reference" and look for a thread posted by Xavier

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. For those of you still wondering i just put together a "mini tutorial" if you wanna call it that.

First off to explain the pictures. The red outlines in the pictures is where there's a peice of plastic hot glued to that part of the helmet. As you can see there are couple parts on top of the helmet where ive scribbled a 2 in the outline. This simply means i used 2 pieces layerd on top of one another for that part. The pinkish purple color is where i only used bondo only. After i had all the pieces glued on i simply used glazing putty to fill in the seams between the pieces and then bondo for the bigger seams where need be. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or just PM me. (Sorry once agian for all the pictures being poor quality, my camera literally takes 3 seconds to take a picture and its near dang impossible to keep still enough to get a decent shot.)

(Also I used plastic from signs like this one)
for_sale_sign.jpg

Tutorial7.jpg
tutorial8.jpg
tutorial5.jpg
tutorial4.jpg
tutorial3.jpg
Tutorial2.jpg
Tutorial1.jpg
tutorial6.jpg

Sean told me his helmet is made a similar way, but his doesnt use the pepakura patterns, he made his own, but your helmet, for using pepakura and turning it into something like that, all I can say is this.

BEST PEP HELMET....EVER.

Darthcalibar said:
I forgot to add one small update. I installed the leds and the vents last night! Ill post a video as soon as it uploads to photobucket.

EDIT:
Video Added. (Once again crappy camera, crappy video)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v648/pkm...nt=MPG_0170.flv

(If anyone knows how to embed that please let me know)
well i know that to embed a video it need to be on youtube and then you just click the Insert: youtube button in the insert special item thing when you are posting something and then copy the random numbers and letters at the end of a link from youtube

whoaaa thats such a stellar job...

maybe this way i won't have to buy tons of bondo putty, but instead smoothe it with the plastic!

that was a killer idea, thanks man, saved me a lot of money.

Wow, honestly this is an inspiration for work on my pep helm.

this is amazingly done, i was starting to get discouraged because i hadn't seen anyone with a pep helmet that i would be happy with

but this looks incredible!

dooditsaustin said:
Wow, honestly this is an inspiration for work on my pep helm.

this is amazingly done, i was starting to get discouraged because i hadn't seen anyone with a pep helmet that i would be happy with

but this looks incredible!

Thats exactly what inspired me to make one this way. Id seen several pep helmets and i just knew there had to be a way to make them better. So with a little creative thinking and some experimenting i came up with this method. Not really any updates as far as progress. Still waiting on my visor to come in the mail. Speaking of which does anyone know how long it should take to get it from the UK? It was shipped last wednesday i think and i still havent gotten it.

Wow! Just wow! This looks like it would end up being alot easier than doing all of that with the glazing putty.

How did it look before you glazed it? Did it take alot of work to make it the way it is now? I think I might do this on my helmet, the results are astounding to say the least! :lol:

Darthcalibar, if your helm is made of paper or pekarura thing... I can't belive it!

IT'S LIKE BLUEREALM WORK!

Weeeelllll ... You need to say me how do you do that man! PM me

Beremus said:
Weeeelllll ... You need to say me how do you do that man! PM me
spartanmom said:
did you sand the outside after the resin to make it smooth or is it just the primer making it smooth?
:cautious:
Read a few posts above /\ I outlined all the steps i used to make it.

darkesword2020 said:
That's ANH, good job man!

Keep us posted!

Fitz
Sorry im not familiar with ANH.. (Unless you mean as in like A New Hope..)

As for updates... Its pretty much done. I need to put the foam inside to make it fit right and ill be finished. Keep your eyes peeled for the Ebay auction :cool:. Ill post pics as soon as I get em (My cam is too crappy and my friend let me use his, Im just waiting to reiceive pics in an email now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back