Pepakura, Teaching Others, Offering to Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashed_Dreams said:
A black and white simplified version to save both ink and size. Hope u guys like it.
logotempcq2.jpg

.ai version here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K6ID03KW

I like this- nice and simple!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the word on this? Staff/ gen pop here want it done; if yes, which design/ what information/ any specifics?

As I'm getting more involved around here I'm realizing just how ridiculously much time is spent making files available to people... regardless of their source, whether it is ripped from the game or scratchbuilt, it all still takes a sizable chunk of time to split up a model, optimize for pep (if this step is even done...), unfold and lay out. And then there is the work vrogy does with the wiki index, which takes more time on top of that.

Credits to individual people could get tricky though, almost to the point it would be unneccessary. Would we credit the model-maker and the unfolder? Or just one or the other? I chopped and unfolded the entire Halo 2 ODST for pep, but I used a model I downloaded forever ago and forgot where it even came from. I'm fairly certain it's a ripped in-game model, and I may know the original person who ripped it... would we credit the ripper, assuming the files we have floating around here could even be tracked back to an individual?

My point being, the pep work may be done by individual people, but we all have the 405th community in mind. The work we put into it is (or should be) less for our own personal interests and more for the gain of the group.
Tracking down and verifying every potentially unknown modelmaker/ ripper would be a whole lot of work, I propose that a simple 405th logo and 405th.com graphic would suffice. Ensuring that people find their way back to this site, to help us expand, should be credit enough to the pep files' creators. If people were further curious about the file they used, it would be simple enough for them to find once here.

If I could get these questions answered by staff or knowledgable individuals I'll gladly contact vrogy about getting all the files and put the time - as I get it - into updating the pep index with the 405th's information.

--Ruze

Adam said:
make sure you use our official logo when you can:

Is this available as a lineart or vectored image? If not, would it be acceptable to alter this one to be a purely b&w lineart? The chances of it staying on a printed sheet would be much higher if it were more printer friendly, no solids etc.

Yeah I agree with Ruze. We can brand this, we just need either a clean line art version that's 72dpi with a very light grey fill.

Actually, wouldn't a simplified version like ashed posted be a good idea for, well, small things?
For example, the website icon, or nametags, or maker's marks, etc.

Here's what I came up with, probably need to do some pixel/shape adjustment or remove the text for .icos-
405zomg_bw_sm.png

Then 405th.com under it in whatever text looks best- don't have access to all my fonts right now.

Ruze789 said:

You do realize that taking a game and ripping 3d models out of it is basically illegal...especially modifying them for distribution to the public. I wouldn't exactly want to be known for that...

4ng31 said:
You do realize that taking a game and ripping 3d models out of it is basically illegal...especially modifying them for distribution to the public. I wouldn't exactly want to be known for that...

You might want to wait to accuse people of illegal things until you have proof- otherwise you'll just get flamed to death.
Good luck finding it, too- most of the pep models out there actually are custom, legal models.

Vrogy said:
You might want to wait to accuse people of illegal things until you have proof- otherwise you'll just get flamed to death.
Good luck finding it, too- most of the pep models out there actually are custom, legal models.

So, you're trying to tell me that JediFraz's files weren't pulled from Halo 2?

And you're also going to tell me that Slyflo's weren't pulled from the Halo 3 beta?

Please, tell me that I'm wrong here...I need a good laugh.

And do you honestly think I care if people want to flame? Lol...good one.

4ng31 said:
So, you're trying to tell me that JediFraz's files weren't pulled from Halo 2?
And you're also going to tell me that Slyflo's weren't pulled from the Halo 3 beta?
Please, tell me that I'm wrong here...I need a good laugh.
And do you honestly think I care if people want to flame? Lol...good one.

What exactly is your purpose in bringing an argument to this thread?
The Site Owner - founder of the 405th group - and the group's moderating staff are asking for this.
I'm sure they are completely aware of whatever ramifications a group logo on pep files would have.

All they seem to be asking for is that people check out this site when they come across Halo Pep files. Since the files they would use to put together their Halo gear are in fact originating here from this website, is that really such a difficult or ridiculous request?

Regardless of their source, people put work into releasing things that other people make. If we learn how to do that from this site, isn't that where we want other people to learn it from too?

We're talking about the custom made ones... you know what we mean.

4ng31, if you are worried about the legality of some of the items on this forum, what are you doing here in the first place? o_O

uh oh.....i gotta tread lightly now.....my weapons are the game models unfolded....

no flaming for me, a'ight?

Well, I think Vrogy was leaning towards what FS and NZ-TK have done. Those actually are from scratch models. As are the Halo 3/WETA version ODST files I've been working on.

I also can't hate on any of the old skool people and their innovation who opened this up to all of us. I don't have the skill like Sean, Spartan II, BR or CPU64 to make my stuff from physical scratch material. And since we are growing, a lot of people on the board are contributing their own drafted Orthographic schematics of weapons and armor. While it's "Fan made" it's beginning to get away from "game ripped models".

*edit* oops hahahah fast posters!

FS's models aren't from scratch. The Mk VI helmet is from the Halo 3 models, as is the chest. His Mk V helmet is from the Halo 1 models. His old Halo 2 HD helmet is from Halo 2. His arbiter files are extracted from Halo 2. His assault rifle is edited from the halo 1 model.

My models are all from extracted files, whether from Halo 1, 2, or 3, as are most of the files here. NZ-TK's and Skullcandy's however, are from scratch.

Now, should those who edit extracted models do this, or should only scratch made ones have the logos and what not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back