Pepakura Unfolding Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic2005

Hi,

i have a little problem with pepakura. I have converted a 3d-model of a sniper rifle into an *.obj-file. Pepakura opens it without problems but when i click to unfold it, i get the following result:

Is this normal ? The files i opened before in pepakura where files from the pepakura database on this site where the parts are already in the right shape and size. I tried to edit the parts with the divide/connect-function but there are so many and tiny parts that i gave it up. Is there no other possibility of editing the unfolded parts or solving this problem ?

Perhaps i have to edit the 3d-model a little bit more but i am not sure about it. Because when i unfold it, the programm unfolds 10.074 "parts". Too many ? ^^

This is the 3d-scene and the pepakura-model of the sniper rifle.

This is not a weapon from halo. It's a "norinco park52 sniper rifle" from Battlefiled 2142. I think this one looks a little bit more stylish ^^

Is there no way to get bigger parts ? There are so many little parts which are hard to edit and many parts are overlapping with others.

This is the first time i'm using pepakura with an untouched model. Are there some preparations i have to do before unfolding it ?

A while ago, I came across this and this. This two-part youtube video quickly goes through what you need to do in order to unfold a file. It was posted by MrOreo123, here on the 405th. Anyway, these two videos helped me out a lot, I hope they help you too. Looks like you've got a very complicated piece to work with, so, since you've not worked with pep designer in this aspect, you may want to practice on something a little simpler first. Once you get the concept down, you should be able to visualize an approach for your file. Good luck.

Sonic said:
Is there no way to get bigger parts ? There are so many little parts which are hard to edit and many parts are overlapping with others.

This is the first time i'm using pepakura with an untouched model. Are there some preparations i have to do before unfolding it ?

have you re sized it?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you click the auto unfold function it will always give you crap like this. What you need to do is use the box cutter button to start piecing things together in a way that make sense. Like the inside of the scope, try to connect all of the little pieces and then separate it as a whole piece by itself.

:D I solved my little problem. I tried again to connect/divide to the parts, but is was still a total mess. I watched some tutorials, tried to resize the 3d-model and the pepakura-model but without success.

Then i unchecked the option "show flaps" and the parts didn't look like a hedgehog anymore. After some searching i found the menu for the flap-size. 5mm was the actual size allthough they were shown much longer in the 2d-window. I changed it to 3mm and back to 5mm. Now i have clear seperated parts with normal flaps i can work with. Editing the parts should be a lot easier now ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back