Plan for an ambitious project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well If Im right, the thing runs on android, and if your good with technology, youd be able to write some apps for it to display your stuff, you wouldnt have to "hack" it. Then again, im not too up to date on cell phone operating systems, so im not sure if thats entirely true. And as for the nobody will see it thing, I dont think BurntBiscuits would really care! If I understand his ideology on this build correctly, he wants the thing to be as close to actual MJOLNIR as possible. Thats why he wanted the PC intergrated into the suit. So since this is essentially a HUD and he has enough money to blow on this, I think he should do it! If he did it right it would be awesome!

Well the source you linked only states that "Recon Instruments has even hinted at an open API app development and download community". That doesn't sound very definitive. But I'd be happy to see it all in action, too, of course :)

Wow! Next thing we know... people are creating REAL Spartans :D
We're getting closer and closer. Except I don't think that's the goal people are trying to achieve. If so, I don't understand... I prefer Sangheili's anyways

Well the source you linked only states that "Recon Instruments has even hinted at an open API app development and download community". That doesn't sound very definitive. But I'd be happy to see it all in action, too, of course :)
Yeah, hopefully youll eventually be able to do something with the apps on this. But honestly, the HUD is the LEAST of this guys worries so far. He should probably just start the armor itself, then try to add on the stuff thats not really neccesary to the suit.

I've used the recon goggles, and while they do what they are meant to, its not worth getting the first generation of these to hack. I say we see where they go and then bite.

HUD's are actually really easy to make yourself, you just need a LED, a LCD display with the variables you want to display, and a lens, the visor will act as the reflective surface. If you have a good understanding of optics, you could make one for about $20.

What kind of programming do you do? Where abouts are you located?

I'm putting together a team to build a real suit, not a costume. We could use an experienced programmer.

have you considered making the suit from pep and then molding each part? that way you can make it as thick or thin as you want. cut out what you need and then install what you need?

Wow, this thread has been busy while I was asleep :)

CoolC, I think I should probably explain why I want functionality. It isn't so I can actually use the suit for anything (Although it might have some use in airsofting, I wouldn't risk my suit :p), I want to add functionality so I can show it off and make the suit some what 'authentic'.
I might scrap the HUD because it can't be shown off as easily and it seems a tad bit too expensive and difficult. However, if what btac says is correct, I might have a go at it. After all, while the average convention goer might not be interested in these subtle features, a lot of Halo nerds will probably love them :p As for the goggles, I've decided not to use them, they don't appear to be what I need.

The tac pad idea is probably the best, as we can show it off and use it to control various features of the suit.

And btac, I'm afraid I'm not an experienced programmer. I have some basic understanding of VB6, Java and C++, which I've been working on, but it certainly isn't what you're after. Sorry, I'd have loved to help out.

runcornstuntman, that's a good idea, although I want to keep moulding to minimum. However, I'll keep it in mind, some parts may need to be moulded.

For the record, I just want to say that I hope you don't get discouraged or offended by any negativity or skepticism you encounter regarding this project. The truth is, I know that I (and I'm sure many other people) opened up this thread, read it, and thought "Oh, another one of these". While I haven't been a member of this site for that long, I've already seen several threads with very similar intentions, and they never go anywhere. The closest I've personally seen to computers in a suit are iPhones and iPods, etc integrated into the forearm tac-pad, which is in itself pretty cool.

So please forgive us if we are skeptical. However, please remember that, at least for me, this skepticism doesn't stem from wanting to see you fail. Quite the contrary actually. I would love to see something like this actually completed, with a large work-in-progress thread detailing the steps and process. It's just that the track record for people claiming they are going to do this and actually doing it is very poor. Best of luck!

Well stated Spitfire22V.

Chase after your fortune and glory BurntBiscuits! Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Haha, I guessed that might have been where the criticism stemmed from and it's understandable to be skeptical. Hell, so would I, if I where in your position. I'm not gonna pretend this is gonna be easy, and chances are, it's gonna take longer than most builds.

I think our real strength is that it's not just one person. I have four friends, we're all doing this together and we all want to achieve. If one of us gets disheartened, the others will help them up and I think that's a real strength. I know for a fact neither of us will let the other let go of this project, so it will happen, I promise you :)

In fact, we should be having a go at pepping soon. Real progress will probably start when exams are over though, which is in a couple of months I think.

HUD's are actually really easy to make yourself, you just need a LED, a LCD display with the variables you want to display, and a lens, the visor will act as the reflective surface. If you have a good understanding of optics, you could make one for about $20.

So how would you compensate for the visor's curvature and where would the LCD go?

Wow, this thread has been busy while I was asleep :)
[...]
runcornstuntman, that's a good idea, although I want to keep moulding to minimum. However, I'll keep it in mind, some parts may need to be moulded.

"Asleep"?! :)

Moulding in your case would be more of a trade: money for time. It would definitely cost more, but if you guys are all about the same size and build, pulling 5 shin casts from a mould would probably go a lot faster than building 6 of them by hand.

at least for me, this skepticism doesn't stem from wanting to see you fail. Quite the contrary actually.

Ditto.

Computers can get really tiny these days, it still amazes me. I'm sure someday we'll be seeing something that size playing a game like Crysis :p
Back to the present day however, that's exactly what I'm thinking about. I think the Arduino is a little larger, but is still pretty damn small.

Yeah, asleep. I'm based in the UK, the one place in the world where it is always bad weather. That fact is worrying me a little tho, as we're gonna have to do most of our work out in the garden (No garage). Probably gonna have to get a gazebo put up and some plywood on the lawn.

And sadly, I don't think we're the same build at all. DIZZY is much larger than any of us, B is a girl and has a very different body to structure to any of us, although NinjaBagel is about my build. But making a mould for two people isn't as worth while as making a mould for four, so I think we'll leave moulding to the few parts that we all need the same size for (Such as permutations perhaps).

Computers can get really tiny these days, it still amazes me. I'm sure someday we'll be seeing something that size playing a game like Crysis :p
Back to the present day however, that's exactly what I'm thinking about. I think the Arduino is a little larger, but is still pretty damn small.

Yeah, asleep. I'm based in the UK, the one place in the world where it is always bad weather. That fact is worrying me a little tho, as we're gonna have to do most of our work out in the garden (No garage). Probably gonna have to get a gazebo put up and some plywood on the lawn.

And sadly, I don't think we're the same build at all. DIZZY is much larger than any of us, B is a girl and has a very different body to structure to any of us, although NinjaBagel is about my build. But making a mould for two people isn't as worth while as making a mould for four, so I think we'll leave moulding to the few parts that we all need the same size for (Such as permutations perhaps).

Well, if you want to, you can get ATMegas in a smaller chip package and make a custom PCB for it that is smaller than the Raspberry Pi :)
There are also a few variants that are smaller than the Uno if you'd rather buy a finished product.

If you absolutely want to work inside, you can use a different resin. Would probably be more expensive though, and I still wouldn't use most of them in my living or bed room.

Wouldn't the permutations scale with the rest of the armour?

I would rather work outside, which is why I mentioned the gazebo. It's just a roof to keep the rain off and we can take it down on a sunny day for doing resin.

And most permutations would have to be scaled, I'm just thinking about the occasional part for moulding, such as the holder for the tac pad. In fact, that's pretty much all I can think of, so yeah, probably no moulding :p

Hi, If you have a debilitating birth defect that prevents you from reading usernames, I'm Dizzy. I'm in on the build - and the thing Biscuits said about the armour sizing is true. for him and HyperNinjaBagel it'll be fine, but I am of a much taller and generally upscaled build, to the point that the armour itself will have to be modified. B is built like whatever created us forgot about the existence of straight lines.

I was wondering if I could ask some questions of people who have already built and worn a finished suit. These questions assume it was a pep build.

How warm is the suit? Would it benefit from some sort of cooling system? If so which areas get the warmest?

Is the helmet easy to breath in? Is it worthwhile to cut breathing holes in the front?

Can people hear you when you're wearing the helmet? Is speech clear, or is it muffled? Also, can you hear other people while wearing the helmet?

If anyone could answer those questions that would be brilliant. I don't think it would matter what specific type of armour you'd be talking about. Hell, an Iron Man suit probably has many of the same attributes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back