Plywood Energy Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but I am a total Halo fanatic. I am very into the Martial Arts, as well as airsoft currently. I started an airsoft team here in Santa Fe. Our theme is the ODST's, official name being (and sorry, it's very long-winded) 105th Expeditionary Division, 7th Shock Trooper Battalion, Zulu Company.

When it comes to the Martial Arts, I particularly specialize in fighting with the Japanese Sword (I've been doing it for about 4 years now, fyi). Anyways, I've been looking at how the Sangheili fight with their energy swords, and decided to see how it could be turned into a real sword-fighting style. Low and behold, it is actually extremely effective.

So, I decided to start making some easy-to-produce "energy" swords for the team, upon request of course, and plan on teaching the guys how to use them. Tonight I've been working on the template for these things, and have decided to make them out of plywood with rounded edges for the sake of convenience.

I'll post pics later if anyone's interested.

Disclaimer!!!!!!

Do NOT try using wooden swords of any kind for airsoft. Not only could you get shot at close range (which is dangerous FYI), you could seriously injure the other person. In other words: DONT DO THIS AT HOME!!!!

Wait... Are you building these swords to use during your airsoft games or do use with your friends? Either way it sounds cool.

Hey, thanks guys. Yeah, to use with friends and in airsoft. Let's see if I can sneak up on the other team. Our first game against them is going to have a ten-foot deep trench, so I thought "hey, I should make some of these for trench raiding!

neat idea. have you thought of using the eva foam and layering it with some type of support inside the layers. would be lighter, rigid and if you did hit Someone with it (on purpose or accident) they would not be injured or end up with splinters. would probably be cheaper too.

I'm more interested in your technique you came up with. Please post a vid when you can.

I enjoy the showy spin moves you can do with a lightsaber, but those moves don't work well with a twin blade energy sword.

I'm not too familiar with EVA foam, but it sounds cool!

Also, as far as technique goes, I'm still experimenting. Once I've got another one of the guys on my team trained, I'll film some stuff for you guys.

Okay, I saw what EVA foam is like, and I think "Hell Yeah"! Thanks again for the idea, this will be awesome. I'll just get some sheets and cut them into the correct shapes.

there are several places to get it. lowes, walmart in the sports section.. i order mine from amazon.

Well, it will be a while before I can get any materials (due to a complete lack of funds), but I feel I owe everyone something, so I figured I would post some basics of my energy sword fighting style. Much of it is derived from Japanese style sword-fighting, so pardon the un-originality.

First off, the main difference (and the reason I think the energy sword, whether metal or plasma would be superior) is that rather than being an object held at an angle in your hands, the energy sword works as an extension of your arm in every since of the phrase.

Basic Form

1. Don't be too tight with your grip. Keep a light grip throughout until you are actually hitting your target, and then grip tightly with your thumb, index, and pinky. The two fingers in the middle are more for guiding the blade.

2. Lower your stance-this is not some kind of fencing type weapon. It's more of a dirty scrapper weapon made for getting close and laying waste to your opponent.

3. Make sure you are always pointing either your forward foot or your centre of gravity towards wherever you are going to attack. Helps you keep your balance.

4. Maintain eye contact with your opponent!!! Don't look where you are trying to hit them, or they will know.

5. When slashing, don't "whack" your target, but rather pull the blade as it makes contact with your target. That way, if you have some kind of replica thing you won't break it.

6. This is a very aggressive weapon, so your weight should be mostly forward to spring at your opponent. Bungie sure got it right when they have the characters almost slouching forward with the sword.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back