Police Report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 days ago I was in a car accident.It was minor, just a few scrapes of paint, and some dents.
But it hit on my side of the car.
It was infront of school and it was this guys fault ( My mom was driving ).
As soon as he hit us, he wasn't even watching what was happening.
He pulled his car out of the way, and then he kept saying " Oh my gosh, Im so sorry ".
Well, I still had to go to school, so I did.
Today the police released a police report.
It was a public release ( Of course )
Nothing too strange..
Until my Mom got calls at work, from Georgia ( I live in Ohio ) , about a Cyropractor.
And then this lawyer called ( I suppose he was a lawyer ) He said his name, and then he said that he wants to discuss the accident, then he said he was coming to my house ( I know right, WTF )

Also they put my birthdate ( I am a minor, can they do this?? ) in the police report.
And the police officer put down the guy that hit us( His phone number ) , as my phone number.

Can I sue?
I don't want people to know where I live, and my birthdate.And I know that if Cyropractors from GEORGIA call my house asking how we were, then I know Alot of people in my town would know where I live, and my birthdate. ( Their are about 70 pedifiles in my area )

Its too late to blank out my birthdate, what can I do?!?

I'm not a legal professional or anything, but yes, I agree, that's a little extreme. I'm pretty sure they have to get permission from your guardians to post stuff if you are a minor, at least here it is.

I'd let your mom handle it, though. The people calling are just looking to turn your misfortune into a fortune for them. Crazy, right?

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
I'm not a legal professional or anything, but yes, I agree, that's a little extreme. I'm pretty sure they have to get permission from your guardians to post stuff if you are a minor, at least here it is.

I'd let your mom handle it, though. The people calling are just looking to turn your misfortune into a fortune for them. Crazy, right?
I know what lawyers do, and how they make a living.
But the police officer asked my Mom who else was in the car.
My mom told him I was , and that I was in the school.
He asked for my name and birth date.
He never asked for permission to put my Birth date in the report.
Im not sure if it is legal to give out information of a minor, especially if the report is PUBLIC.
Its probably online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure that birth records are public information as well...so anyone who was interested in your birth date already knew...

The police report could conatin basic information like 12 year old boy in vehical. that goes public and it may also give the specific date. If it had your full legal name and birth date, address then no it should not be made public since you were a minor. If your mom agrees to the release then ok.
Now it sounds like your mom filed a police report which is good.
DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!!
Got it
Let me say this again:
DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!!

Sounds like the sleazbag lawyer wante to call your house and record a statment from you. You are under age. Say talk with my mom.

Your mom should:
DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!! DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!!
She needs to refer them to her insurence agent then hang up the phone period. If she makes a recorded statement then it is admisable as evidence.
Simply put talk to no one and if the lawyer / Dr what ever contacts you get their contact info then call your moms insurence agent. Let them know you are underage and being harased by these people. Have your mom present when you call.
Your insurence agaent if reputable will file a cease and assist all contact to you or your mom from these people. It won't ever go anywhere but it makes it so that if the lawfirm calls back you can sue them.

roguewarrior2001 said:
The police report could conatin basic information like 12 year old boy in vehical. that goes public and it may also give the specific date. If it had your full legal name and birth date, address then no it should not be made public since you were a minor. If your mom agrees to the release then ok.
Now it sounds like your mom filed a police report which is good.
DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE!!!!!
Got it
Let me say this again:

Sounds like the sleazbag lawyer wante to call your house and record a statment from you. You are under age. Say talk with my mom.

Your mom should:
She needs to refer them to her insurence agent then hang up the phone period. If she makes a recorded statement then it is admisable as evidence.
Simply put talk to no one and if the lawyer / Dr what ever contacts you get their contact info then call your moms insurence agent. Let them know you are underage and being harased by these people. Have your mom present when you call.
Your insurence agaent if reputable will file a cease and assist all contact to you or your mom from these people. It won't ever go anywhere but it makes it so that if the lawfirm calls back you can sue them.
My mom is going to go to the police station and going to call Nation Wide tomarrow.
These people aren't harassing , their just trying to get some business.

roguewarrior2001 said:

Unless the lawyers were from the driver's insurance company, I highly doubt the lawyers were interested in getting a statement from your mother. In fact, they probably don't want you to say anything to your insurance company (like "I'm feeling great and have no pain at all") that could hurt a case against the other driver's insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back