Polythemus' "Victor-101" Mk VI Build WIP - PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow Polythemus, in the time it took me to pep one part you've gone thru several High Def. parts all pep'd in high quality. This is going to be one of those builds to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. As for adding any comment on the scaling you already have LongShot-X's advise on so it doesn't really get any better than that. So keeps us posted.

wow poly, great work :) imo, the handplate may need to be scaled up just a bit, but the pep work looks great!

Thank you! Good, so it's not just me that thinks that haha.

The torso looks like a perfect fit but thats just my opinion. Heck, the one I made is to wide but I'm still gonna use it lol.
As far as the shoulder goes I'd say it looks like a perfect fit, plus if you think its a little bit big you still have to factor in padding or a pressure suit/motocross suit for underneath the shoulder. (All of the under suits I've seen have padding right near the shoulder) Also I have to ask where did you get your boots? They look exactly like the ones I've envisioned for my build!

PS hand plate looks like a good scale too.

Yea the torso fits me almost perfectly! I'll explain how I know in my next progress update ;) Ha well I really hope that one works out for you! Yea that is true about the padding but what I'm worried about isn't how it'll fit around my arm but how long/high it is. With it the size is it now it seems it'll get in the way :/ Thanks for the input though. Haha wow, I'm glad I posted a picture of them then. Well, actually, I bought them off of a friend about a year-and-a-half ago for 40 bucks ha. I'm not sure where he got them but I went ahead and did some searching for you and here's what I came up with. Looks like the exact boot to me! And perhaps you could go to a local sporting goods or military surplus store and find something similar if not the same. Good luck!

Wow, good work. If you didn't throw out that chin you pepped then you should resin it like that for a Sub-Zero/Master Chief ninja mask.

Thanks! AHHH You're too late! Ha I just tossed it right before I read this :( That would be so cool though, maybe I'll make another one....

Polythemus (AKA: Ben), "Welcome to the 405th"

I like how the helmet turned out. Crisp lines, Excellent attention to the details. Defininly not rushed. Glad that your willing to re-scale and re-pep. That shows excellent dedication to not give up. Super job on the fan, padding and LED install. I am curious as to the noise level given off by the fans near the ears. My fans are closer to the front and take air in through the cheek tubing (cut vents into the tubing with the dremel) so the noise level is very low. My fav are the LED's on the INSIDE of the helm. That's a task I still have on my to do list for my helm.
+1 to epicness.

The undersuit: What can I say... I use them. They add to the "Look" extremly well. Comfortable to wear and are easy to strap. An excellent choice!

The Torso: From the way that your holding it I can see that the bottom opening should fit you snugly. Based on that, I'd say that your scaling is spot on. Your pepping skills do appear to be sharp, crisp and no warping. Excellent pepping skills.

For the boots: There are some boots in Heavygunners AIO Pep pack thread. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26285-All-in-One-Halo-Pepakura-Pack
The HD 2 piece boots appear to be the same ones that I used from the wiki.

The shoulder: I agree with you on the size... IMHO A bit big. I can see that the bicep is resting on your forearm... restricting your freedom of motion just a bit. I would suggest a rescale of -10% possibly -20% Re-pep and then see how it fits and looks. At least the shoulder piece is easier to pep than the helm or torso. That's 2 huge hurdles behind you.

Hand plate: I agree with odst.fng. It does need to be scaled up just a bit. I would try up by 10%. Re pep one and see how its size looks on your hand. Hand plates are quick and easy.

Excellent progress so far. Keep this up and your on your way to an excellent MK VI

Cheers!

Longshot! So glad to hear from you :) Well thank you, I definitely didn't rush the detailing on it. It took 3 times as long but in the end I guess it was worth it! Yea, pepping is still kind of a pain but I'd rather put the extra work, time, and effort in now to make it as PERFECT as possible, then I don't have to deal with or fix it later when I'm bondoing it or something. It takes a lot of time now but I'm in no hurry so its OK ha. I'm planning to have this thing done by the release of Halo 4... so I have plenty of time! As for the fans, I have 4 fans in the helmet, 3 in front, one in the rear, and if I sit there in a quiet room and sit very still I can hear them ha. But they're actually very quiet, it's easy to forget they're on, trust me I know. I left them on for like 3 hours once... Yea I was actually going to try that idea but for some reason I decided against it, probably because I wanted more fans ha. But I suppose that method would work a little better than mine. I'll have to draw up a diagram or something explaining what I did but the way it's set up there isn't much air intake so they're kinda weak :/ As for the LED's on the inside, that's my favorite too haha. All I used was a blue LED strip from harbor freight, it was pretty cheap too. There's only one problem: since the LED's are putting light BEHIND the visor, it does obstruct my vision a little bit due to glare. I've been trying to figure out what I can do to eliminate that but, no luck as of yet. Sweet! Now I have a total EPIC score of one! :D

Well now I have to use them if they're that good! The only problem is that they're so expensive...

You were tight in saying that it fits me snugly, only problem is its a little bit TOO snugly. When I post my next progress update, which, by the way, is gonna be a lot, I'll explain more about the torso. But It's nice to hear that I'm good at scaling and pepping, thanks!

Perfect! I've been looking for one of those Pep packs for a while, glad to have it now. Unfortunately I had already started the 3 piece boot and gotten pretty far but my plan was to "convert" it to a 2 piece. But having an ACTUAL 2 piece will help! I'll go more into detail about that in my PU.

Yea I'm not a fan of the shoulder size either, I suppose I'll just try for 10%. If I scale it by 10 percent, is that just adding 10 percent of the current scale TO the current scale? perhaps I could do a few calculations and manually scale it up by 15%. I would feel much better doing that.

10 percent sounds perfect! I'll get that done sometime soon and post it :)

Thanks again Longshot, it means a lot to hear that from you!

P.S. I've been pepping with "no edge ID's" and I have to say, it actually seems EASIER than with them! It's a lot more fun too, and it looks better.
P.S.S. Most of my ideas and methods come from you so you definitely deserve some credit. I marathon-ed through your thread the other day and learned so many things I wish I would have done the FIRST time around with the helmet haha. But now I know I can do much better, thanks.

wow Polythemus, in the time it took me to pep one part you've gone thru several High Def. parts all pep'd in high quality. This is going to be one of those builds to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. As for adding any comment on the scaling you already have LongShot-X's advise on so it doesn't really get any better than that. So keeps us posted.

Ha well it's been about two weeks and all I've done is the right boot (which I'll talk about later), the right shoulder, the right hand plate, and I started some of the helmet. The only thing out of those that is actually "done" is the boot so I've still got more to do. I'd like to go a little faster but thank you! It's good to hear I've got some "followers" now :) Yea, I'm looking forward to that too... Haha no it doesn't! For sure, so long as I'm making progress you'll see a progress update.
Thanks!

Alright, so now that I'm done replying to all of you, I can get started on my Progress Update and then get to work!
WARNING: I've got a lot to report...

Progress Update

Ugh, so much typing! OK, here we go...

So, yesterday I worked on a few things: The right boot, the torso, and a better/easier way to measure myself.

I'll start off with the right boot. I started/finished it yesterday :) I have to say, that thing was a real pain in the a$$ to crease, cut, and fold with all of those little circles! I'm really happy with the way it turned out though, it seems to fit my boot perfectly. I didn't take any pictures of the pepping process but I took a few of my progress and the final result. Here they are!

photo25.jpg

photo26.jpg

photo36.jpg

photo46.jpg

So I'm not really wanting to go through that again soon so I'm thinking I'm going to pep the right shin next, then thigh, THEN I'll go to the left leg.

Oh yea, keep in mind this is technically the 3 piece boot, I just made some slight modifications to allow myself to attach the two pieces together to make it a 2 piece. But now, thanks to Longshot-X, I have the ACTUAL 2 piece boot so I don't have to do that again. Thanks Longshot!

Now for the torso! So I know some of you think that my torso is perfectly fine as it is but I respectfully disagree. There were too many imperfections and faults in it for me to be satisfied with the result so I decided to do something useful with it other than toss it. I tore it apart Now before you think I mindlessly destroyed it, I didn't. I put it to good use and got a lot of good information from it.
Here's what I did:
In a nutshell, I cut the breast plate off and removed the support struts to allow me to put the thing on.

photo23.jpg

Here I drew lines where I wanted to cut it. I wanted to cut as close to the breast plate as possible to allow for the back to just sit on my shoulders.

photo43.jpg

After removing the support struts, I cut in the 4 spots that I had marked.

photo47.jpg

Now I FINALLY got to try this thing on! It fits almost perfectly but not quite. the bottom side pieces are touching my skin when I put it on. That's not good.

photo5.jpg

I really do like the way it looks though. It looks like it fits perfectly!

So right now I have the thing scaled to a height of 437mm. It seems to have an inner width of 290 mm which is approximately the width of my rib cage. It slightly touches me on the sides. I'm not sure how much I'll have to scale it up yet because I don't have my pressure suit :/ BUT once I get it I'll get on that! My guess is probably around 20 or 30 mm total added to the inner width should do the trick. Once I get my desired inner width, I'll just make a ratio of the original height/width and set it equal to the ratio of the new unknown height/new known inner width. Simple as that. When I find out more I'll update!

Alrighty then, now for my measuring method. So what I did here is something I've wanted to do but never had the chance to do it. All I did was I "traced" my entire body onto a huge piece of paper. First I had to construct the huge piece of paper since I don't have any massive pieces of paper just lying around my dorm.

photo52.jpg

So, you're just going to start off with computer paper and tape.

photo44.jpg

What we're doing is just taping a bunch of pieces of computer paper together t make one big sheet, so do just that. I started with one row of 3 to fit my wall, then kept attaching more to the bottom until I got the desired length.

photo13.jpg

Using small pieces of tape works best to get it more precise. Be sure to only tape on one side.

photo53.jpg

Then, after I had made the piece fitted it to the wall and attached it. When you attach it to the wall, make sure you have the side with the tape facing the wall. I stood in front of it with my back against it, as flat as possible, and "traced" my entire body. Be sure to keep the pencil as perpendicular to the wall as possible. I had to do this many times, each time adjusting and erasing and I had to make sure that I was exactly where I was before I had moved. This was much easier for me to do because I had a mirror right in front of me and I could line myself up. Once I got what I felt was an accurate tracing of my body, I traced each hand separately next to the head because they couldn't fit.

photo16.jpg

After that, I went over it all with a sharpie and BAM! There I was, on paper :)

EDIT: I just realized that the piece on the floor with "L" and "R" on it is backwards. Disregard that. It's for the size of my boots. In the picture, the arm on YOUR left is MY right arm.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much this will help me because it's not 100% accurate but it will at least help me to get an idea of my dimensions.

Ok, that's it for now! I've been typing for almost two hours so now I need to take a break. I'll post any progress I make later tonight maybe. If not tonight then tomorrow.

Have a great Sunday night!

-Poly

Hey guys, I just finished pepping the right shin! But now it's almost 3 in the morning so I'll post pics and a PU tomorrow.
Good night!

-Poly

Progress Update

Alright guys, here's my new HD Right Shin as I had promised!

photo38.jpg

It's built to a height of 365mm

photo56.jpg

photo48.jpg

Well here's the calf of it. I'm no too happy about it but for some reason I just couldn't get it right :( Anyway, it's nothing a little Bondo and elbow grease can't fix!

sdfsdf.jpg

I tried it on with my HD Boot and the actual boot I'm going to be wearing.

photo28.jpg

So, what do you guys think of its size? Personally, I think it may be slightly small but I'm not sure. I'd rather not redo it haha but if i have to I will!
Lesson learned: Make a low detail one first! Don't know why I didn't this time...

Also, I've found that it is extremely difficult to get my feet through these (the shin and boot heel) and it's even more difficult to get the actual boot on afterward. Whit I have to do to put these on is slip the shin on first and maneuver my foot through it, then I put the heel of the boot on by slipping my foot carefully through it, then very carefully but the actual boot on. It seems to me that after I fiberglass it, I won't be able to do this anymore. I'm going to have to figure something out to fix that possibly before I fiberglass it. Does anybody have any ideas? Anything is appreciated!

Next step: Scale and pep the Right Thigh!

I'll keep you posted :)

-Poly

I think your shin looks a tad bit small, I would size it up some so it will look proportinal with your body and the rest of the armor, I had the same problem with my foot fitting thru and once its harden its almost impossible to fit your foot thru, I fixed this problem with my Busa build look in the thread I posted below, post #98 its just an idea that may help, there are other ways to do it, but this worked well for me without to much chopping up the shin

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31037-Hyper-s-Hayabusa-build/page10

Thanks for the link to those boots! It really helps with my boot search lol. I agree that the shin might look a little bit short at the bottom, but that is my personal opinion. (The shin I made is short as well and I'm goingto be rescaling it soon.) Also the boot pep looks really good, except that in the last pic showing the boots+the shin, it looks like there is a big gap between the boot piece and the actual toe of the boot? Now it could just be the way the pic turned out, but thats what i notice. I wonder if there is a way to bulk up the actual boots in order to make them fit under the pepped boot piece.?

I think your shin looks a tad bit small, I would size it up some so it will look proportinal with your body and the rest of the armor, I had the same problem with my foot fitting thru and once its harden its almost impossible to fit your foot thru, I fixed this problem with my Busa build look in the thread I posted below, post #98 its just an idea that may help, there are other ways to do it, but this worked well for me without to much chopping up the shin

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31037-Hyper-s-Hayabusa-build/page10

Ahh ok, that's kinda what I thought too :/ It also touches my calf when I pull it up to the height that I want it at. That's not something that I should ignore... I think I'm going to give myself a break on the shin and go ahead and pep the right thigh first, that way I can get a better idea of how much bigger it should be. Wow! I love the hinge idea, that's incredibly smart. Perhaps I missed it but how did you actually keep it closed? I read something about it but didn't quite understand it.

Have you tried putting the shin on backwards then turning it around? I have read that in more than one thread.

Yea, that's what I figured would work but even then it needs to be "stretched" to get my foot through it.

Thanks for the link to those boots! It really helps with my boot search lol. I agree that the shin might look a little bit short at the bottom, but that is my personal opinion. (The shin I made is short as well and I'm goingto be rescaling it soon.) Also the boot pep looks really good, except that in the last pic showing the boots+the shin, it looks like there is a big gap between the boot piece and the actual toe of the boot? Now it could just be the way the pic turned out, but thats what i notice. I wonder if there is a way to bulk up the actual boots in order to make them fit under the pepped boot piece.?

Yea no problem! Yea, I found myself having to "compromise" with the top looking shorter or the bottom looking shorter. Not a good sign... Well the boots are kind of long, I have big feet, but I scaled it to the exact length of the boot so it should be perfect. I agree that the gap did look a little big in that pic so I just looked at it again. I'm putting a pic up for you to get a better view...

Here it is:
photo1-1.jpg

I think with this view it looks perfect :) What do you think?

-Poly

I've also got a question for anybody that can answer it: Does the shin look like it is in the right place above the boot? As in, is there enough room between the top of the HD boot and the bottom of the shin (disregard the actual SIZE of the shin, just pay attention to its placement).

photo19.jpg

photo29.jpg

If I can find where it needs to be above the boot then I can easily get the correct scale. Thanks :)

Where you have the boot and shin in the last pic looks about where they should be while wearing them, also I used rare earth magnets epoxied in place to keep the hinged part shut and it works perfect, sorry I never posted pics of that part completed

Ahhh okay. I think it was just the pic that made the boot look small. In these pics it looks like a perfect, exact fit!! Good job! Yeah I think that the shin looks like it is in the right place, some people choose to have it lower and some have it higher, I think it just depends on preference and mobility.

The helmet looks awesome, I'm also new here so it's cool to see the process of armor creation and the context of this whole pepakura stuff is really helpful.

I'd like to offer more help/suggestions but for now I'll praise what you got going on.

Keep it up!

I've also got a question for anybody that can answer it: Does the shin look like it is in the right place above the boot? As in, is there enough room between the top of the HD boot and the bottom of the shin (disregard the actual SIZE of the shin, just pay attention to its placement).

photo19.jpg

photo29.jpg

If I can find where it needs to be above the boot then I can easily get the correct scale. Thanks :)

Personally I like it just the way you have it. The black parts of the boot seem to have the same "black space" with regards to each other. ie EVEN black spacing. This helps to keep the "Look" of your armor looking good. For mine I added black toilet plungers to the top of my boots. The bottom of the shins rest on the plungers.

So far I like everything that your doing and your doing it excellently.

Kudos on "NO EDGE ID's" +1 to Epicness.

Cheers

Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've had family visiting this weekend and I'm studying for midterms so I don't have much time :( I'll update and reply as soon as I can!

-Poly

Where you have the boot and shin in the last pic looks about where they should be while wearing them, also I used rare earth magnets epoxied in place to keep the hinged part shut and it works perfect, sorry I never posted pics of that part completed

Yea thats what I was thinking, its good that you think that too! That sounds like a really good idea, I'm sure it works great. Thanks.

Ahhh okay. I think it was just the pic that made the boot look small. In these pics it looks like a perfect, exact fit!! Good job! Yeah I think that the shin looks like it is in the right place, some people choose to have it lower and some have it higher, I think it just depends on preference and mobility.

Haha yea, pictures will do that sometimes. Good to hear! I really like where it is here.

Very nice work!! I hope Mine looks like this when I start!!

Thank you! I'm sure yours will look fantastic :)

The helmet looks awesome, I'm also new here so it's cool to see the process of armor creation and the context of this whole pepakura stuff is really helpful.

I'd like to offer more help/suggestions but for now I'll praise what you got going on.

Keep it up!

Well thanks for the praising! Ha yea, it definitely helps to understand the big picture. It gives a god understanding of what needs to happen and in what order. Oh, and if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask. I love helping people out :)

Personally I like it just the way you have it. The black parts of the boot seem to have the same "black space" with regards to each other. ie EVEN black spacing. This helps to keep the "Look" of your armor looking good. For mine I added black toilet plungers to the top of my boots. The bottom of the shins rest on the plungers.

So far I like everything that your doing and your doing it excellently.

Kudos on "NO EDGE ID's" +1 to Epicness.

Cheers

Yea, that's also what I was thinking. It helps to give a more symmetric look to the suit I think. I saw that, I thought that was a really good idea. It also helped with the whole symmetric look. I'm sure it also helped to keep the shins in place which is nice.
I'm glad to hear that, it sure means a lot coming from you Longshot!
Haha, yes! I now have an "Epic" score of 2!

-Poly

I'll have a progress update for you guys soon. Stay tuned!

Progress Update - PIC HEAVY

FINALLY! Here's my newest progress update fellas. Sorry it's taken so long.

Cod Piece
Well to start off, I think it would be best if I told you what kind of pepping I got done. Unfortunately, not much :( What I've done is I've been scaling the cod piece. I've made 3 size testers, one way too big, one kinda too big, and one that I kinda like the size of. Here are some pics of the one that I like. It's scaled to a width of 370 mm with an approximate inner width of 300 mm.
NOTE: I do still need to re-size the torso. It'll be slightly bigger than how it is now so please keep that in mind.

For some reason I feel like this one is slightly small...

11427520.jpg

I do like it better than the other ones I made though!

be3027a8.jpg

Here's to give you a little bit of an idea of what it will look like.

What do you guys think of its size? Like I said it seems a little bit small compared to the torso and I feel like the top of the side of the cod and the bottom of the side of the torso should be a little closer. I'm thinking if I were to make the cod bigger then it should only be by about 50 to 100 mm. Any bigger and it would be too big I think. Also, I have no problem making another tester, they only take about two hours max!

Moving on...

So the other thing that I did over the past few days is I got my Xbox up here in my dorm! This means that I was able to whip out good ole' Halo 3, go into theater, and get some FANTASTIC reference pictures.
Since I've had the chance to get a really detailed look at all of Master Chief I've switched my game plan a little bit. In other words, I have some different ideas for what I want to do with this suit. In a nutshell, I'm looking to make my suit as close to an EXACT replica of Master Chief in Halo 3 as possible. I'll explain more underneath all of the upcoming pictures :)

The Gloves
It seems that gloves are a very difficult thing to get "just right" for these suits. Fora while I've been looking for some good reference pictures of the gloves so I could try to replicate them but I haven't had any luck, until now.

768eb2bb.jpg

Here's what I would like to do with my gloves. I would definitely have to make them myself but I think it could work.

5958bb58.jpg

When I say "exact" I don't mean just the looks of the material. Ideally, I want to make the gloves out of durable yet flexible material and make them "feel" like the real thing not just look like it.

be4483e0.jpg

At the very least, I would like to make the gloves to look like in Halo 3. Perhaps after I've completed the armor I'll work on the under-suit. This is just an idea... for now.

The Boots
The boots, to me, are just as important as the torso. And I don't just mean the top of the boots that everybody sees, but the sole more particularly.

2a040346.jpg

If I had the tools and materials I would try to make the sole look exactly like these but I don't haha. So the next best thing I could come up with is buying a pair of large, old, boots, cutting off the soles, shaping them, then attaching them to the bottom of the boot.

c9f33760.jpg

The other thing I want to do to the boots is make them function as if I were Master Chief putting on my armor. In other words, do you see those black buckles? I want to attach buckles like those and make the two pieces of the rear part of the boot easily detachable but also easy to reattach. These buckles I think are called "Latch Buckles" and are very similar to those found on ski boots. If anyone knows the name of this type of buckle, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! They will define the rest of my suit... thanks :)

The Neck Seal

I've seen a lot of different suits and a lot of different types of neck seals. In order for me to make my suit as close to MC as possible, the neck seal is absolutely essential. I consider the neck seal to be as important as the armor so hopefully I can make one of those bad boys out of leather or something...

c12d9fef.jpg

This is what I would like it to look like. A while back I think I saw a template of this same kind of neck seal but I can't seem to find it anymore for the life of me. Has anyone seen this template? If so, please let me know, I would really appreciate it!

The Helmet
I am still planning on making another helmet and on this helmet I'm hoping to capture a few of the more overlooked details of MC's helmet. One tiny detail I saw was this...

d275c1f6.jpg

Do you see the small white lines running from the front to the back of the helmet? No? well how about in this picture?

48fe0b86.jpg

This blew me away. I have never seen a helmet with these lines on. I'm sure some exist but either way I am now planning to do this. I love the minor details on this suit, they're so great :)

The Emblem
I know this is a long way away but I'm set on designing some type of emblem and painting it on the right shoulder. Also, have you ever seen the detail stripes on MC? in the pic below it's the green stripe. I'm planning on painting these details on mine.

6e186dba.jpg

Well I've never realized it but that's not just a solid stripe. It has the letter "VI" printed in it.

The Rest
Please keep in mind that in the previous picture, I am not planning on using that color scheme. I'm planning to make it MC green with the detail being slightly brighter.

I mentioned those buckles in the "boots" section. I'm hoping to implement those throughout the suit. I want to be able to remove each piece without having to remove anything else, just as it would be for MC. I'm not sure exactly how each piece would work but I know it can be done.

If you look at my photobucket you'll see that I have some of the reference pictures put up on there. I'll post the rest of them so you can get a good look at what it is I'm going for.

I may end up pepping another tester for the cod piece depending on the feedback I get from you guys. I'll post again as soon as I have more to post about!

Thanks
-Poly

P.S. Sorry for the massive pics....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back