Pooper's High Detailed Mvi Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
pooper said:
Yeah, I can do that. I'll try to have it uploaded ASAP... in the mean time, you can see it in my new Avatar and in pics at the Dragon Con 2009 event in this thread

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20699&st=0

Can you guess which one is me? :pI'll try to post some...

Ooh, ooh, ooh! Let me guess! You're the one in the blue Mk VI armour, right? :) lol

Looking forward to those pics when you have 'em, buddy ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@SpartanII Blue armor? I thought it was hot pink :p

I am also looking forward to it also!

Damnn I was gonna ask you something Pooper,

I forgot what it was!

SoullessSin said:

I forgot what it was!

BOLD # 1: No, I'm pretty sure his is blue :plol

BOLD # 2: Too distracted by the awesomeness of his armour to think straight, huh? :)

Jun Sapnu said:
uhmm wer can i get the legs and shin pepakura... pls help cant find them...

Your query has been answered in Mac's HD Armor Progress thread ;)

Keeping things on topic, though, do you have a particular time frame in mind for when you might be able to finish the rest of the new armour pieces? :unsure

Pooper, first your armor looks awesome, but so did your first set. Second it is funny to see you and Mr Oreo both talking about your armor builds and I am reading each others threads.

Question though, how come you decided to build another set anyways? I thought your first set looks great too!

~James

jlhR2 said:
Pooper, first your armor looks awesome, but so did your first set. Second it is funny to see you and Mr Oreo both talking about your armor builds and I am reading each others threads.

Haha, I don't know about Pooper, but I'm watching this thread along with a few others as inspiration for my build. :) I try to keep tabs on several different techniques and pick out what works best for me and my circumstances/budget/plans.

For instance, my wife is very sensitive to any chemical fumes (she can smell a smoker from 50 ft away around a corner!), so that pretty much means polyester resin and bondo are not available to me anymore. (Our last apartment had a balcony, so I kept my previous resin/bondo work locked outside behind a sliding glass door. Our new place has a community backyard with little kids running around.) So I've been trying to keep an eye out for mostly-nontoxic solutions.

Targets, I think you have Grunts and Children confused! :p

But MrOreo, I am watching your armor build as well, and I like your progress as well.

So If I have my own house and a garage to work on armor (but its freaking cold in winter here in Canada) wouldn't fiberglass cloth and resin be the way to go?

Rondo is Fiberglass resin and bondo mixed correct?

~James

jlhR2 said:
Targets, I think you have Grunts and Children confused! :p

Both are short and noisy. I see no difference. Lol, j/k. ;)

jlhR2 said:
So If I have my own house and a garage to work on armor (but its freaking cold in winter here in Canada) wouldn't fiberglass cloth and resin be the way to go?

Rondo is Fiberglass resin and bondo mixed correct?

The winter months might be a problem unless you have a space heater or something. Temperature affects all the major "good" methods: resin, bondo, rondo (yes, it's resin + bondo), smooth cast, etc. Heat accelerates curing, cold will slow and possibly even prevent curing.

Even if you're not afraid of toxic fumes, there are still good alternatives to resin/fiberglass. Smooth cast can be used with fiberglass in the same way as polyester resin, minus the fumes with an easy mix ratio (1:1) vs. counting drops of catalyst per ounce of resin. Smooth cast is more expensive than resin, but in larger quantities, the price gap is more reasonable for the advantages smooth cast offers.

I'd try both methods and see which work flow you like best. You can get a trial of SC300 for $25-ish US and a quart of resin for...$10-ish and fiberglass cloth for $8-ish.

Okay! I know I've been gone for a while, but a combination of work and stress can take a toll on someone. I've been working on my shoulder pieces and those should be done soon, as long as I'm not playing ODST.

SoullessSin said:

I forgot what it was!

Lol I've already made a Hot Pink MVI helmet for my niece. As to what you wanted to tell me, I'm sure you'll figure it out! :p

SPARTAN II said:
Your query has been answered in Mac's HD Armor Progress thread ;)

Keeping things on topic, though, do you have a particular time frame in mind for when you might be able to finish the rest of the new armour pieces? :unsure

Thanks for answering that question Spartan. Hopefully, my entire suit should be done by the end of the year. I'm going to try to make an under suit as well. After just looking at soulless's thread and reminded me of plasti dip, I'm going to experiment with that. Stay tuned! ;)

jlhR2 said:

Question though, how come you decided to build another set anyways? I thought your first set looks great too!

~James

Thanks James! Well, one the first set, most of the lines from the folds where showing. I didn't like that too much (I could have used Oreo's smooth files!), and I wanted it to be smooth. Not only that, I would like to make some molds and casts, so I want the suit to be the best it can be. I knew I can make a better suit with everything I've learned here on the forums, so I wanted a more professional looking Master Chief Costume.

And yeah, I like to look at threads for inspiration and motivation! I like to look at Oreo's, Soullessin's, Link's, Macattack's, Spartan II's, and a whole lot of others.

Glad you like the armor(s)!

MrOreo123 said:
Haha, I don't know about Pooper, but I'm watching this thread along with a few others as inspiration for my build. :) I try to keep tabs on several different techniques and pick out what works best for me and my circumstances/budget/plans.

For instance, my wife is very sensitive to any chemical fumes (she can smell a smoker from 50 ft away around a corner!), so that pretty much means polyester resin and bondo are not available to me anymore. (Our last apartment had a balcony, so I kept my previous resin/bondo work locked outside behind a sliding glass door. Our new place has a community backyard with little kids running around.) So I've been trying to keep an eye out for mostly-nontoxic solutions.

Ha! I know what you mean Oreo! I like to look at threads for inspiration and motivation (didn't I just say this :p)!

Well, I'm going to post a pic of my new shoulders fully pepped on either this Monday or Tuesday. And Spartan, I know I promised a pic of what I wore at Dragon Con. It's coming... I have a costume party tomorrow and I'll take a picture then. I'm going to the Games Live Orchestra.

Two weeks is a long time to not post anything... It's good to be back and posting!

pooper said:
I'm going to the Games Live Orchestra.

I've been to that when they were at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Lot of fun, but I sat WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY in back at the cheap seats. Next time they come around to LA, I'll bring out my MkVI and hopefully get better seats. :)

Oh yeah!

I wanna know how you do the cod piece.

Like how to wear it.

I plan on separating it into 4 pieces.

MrOreo123 said:

I can highly recommend epoxy resin for the fiberglass instead. VERY easy to mix, cures very strong, no detectable fumes, doesn't chemically burn your skin.

I got mine with mustard pumps so i take a plastic disposable cup, one pump from one jug, two pumps from the other, Stir with a plastic fork (pour into another plastic cup and restir to make sure even the stuff stuck to the outside is mixed well) and brush on. Also you can use the cheaper foam brushes since it doesnt eat through them like the polyester resin.

tiredofbuttons said:
I can highly recommend epoxy resin for the fiberglass instead. VERY easy to mix, cures very strong, no detectable fumes, doesn't chemically burn your skin.

I got mine with mustard pumps so i take a plastic disposable cup, one pump from one jug, two pumps from the other, Stir with a plastic fork (pour into another plastic cup and restir to make sure even the stuff stuck to the outside is mixed well) and brush on. Also you can use the cheaper foam brushes since it doesnt eat through them like the polyester resin.

I hear epoxy resin isn't too bad in small quantities, but in larger amounts, like for armor purposes, it can get expensive. IDK, maybe I heard wrong. What types are available and how much for what quantity?

Lol well MrOreo did glass at my house ;)

But isn't epoxy resin used for carbon fiber work?

Though anything you mix is bound to smell.

How about the first ever carbon fiber Mark VI? :D

pooper said:
Okay! I know I've been gone for a while, but a combination of work and stress can take a toll on someone. I've been working on my shoulder pieces and those should be done soon, as long as I'm not playing ODST.

[...]

Lol I've already made a Hot Pink MVI helmet for my niece. As to what you wanted to tell me, I'm sure you'll figure it out! :p

[...]

Thanks for answering that question Spartan. Hopefully, my entire suit should be done by the end of the year. I'm going to try to make an under suit as well. After just looking at soulless's thread and reminded me of plasti dip, I'm going to experiment with that. Stay tuned! ;)

[...]

And yeah, I like to look at threads for inspiration and motivation! I like to look at Oreo's, Soullessin's, Link's, Macattack's, Spartan II's, and a whole lot of others.

Glad you like the armor(s)!

[...]

Well, I'm going to post a pic of my new shoulders fully pepped on either this Monday or Tuesday. And Spartan, I know I promised a pic of what I wore at Dragon Con. It's coming... I have a costume party tomorrow and I'll take a picture then. I'm going to the Games Live Orchestra.

Two weeks is a long time to not post anything... It's good to be back and posting!

BOLD # 1: No worries about the short absence, buddy. Real life matters take precedence. We all have lives outside the 405th, so it's a given sometimes that will get in the way of our beloved hobby. Glad to see you back, though.

BOLD # 2: Kewl! Really? If it's anything like the ones you've made for yourself, I don't doubt she loves it.

BOLD # 3: You're welcome for the assist, btw. I just try to help out my fellow 405th-ers when I can. Looking forward to seeing you finish this suit before year's end. Good luck with the undersuit, too.

BOLD # 4: With all the talent we've got around here, it's hard not to be inspired/motivated by others' work. And, you've even looked at my WiP thread for inspiration/motivation? I haven't really done all that much to mine yet, lol. I'm honoured, buddy.

BOLD # 5: Considering the amazing work you've put into this, how can we not like what we see? ;) heh

BOLD # 6: No worries on the pic(s). Take your time. I excitedly wait to see more of you in all your MC glory.

BOLD # 7: I know what you mean. I get itchy to post if it's only been a few days, lol. Welcome back, my friend. Looking forward to seeing more epic-ness :D

Well, okay... not much of an update but thought that I need to show you all something. I've talked with Oreo to see if he could make an easier unfold of the bicep/shoulder piece for me to try out (I'm not trying to put down Ral's unfold of the bicep folks. I LOVE Ral's unfolds and his work). The result is great! I manage to put it together faster and the bicep was easier to put together. The only faults I found on the model was that it needed a couple of more folds that were missing. I've marked those folds in red. I already told Oreo about this and he'll get to it when he can. :)

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

And to Spartan II, here's a pic of what I wore at Dragon Con. This photo was taken at Video Games Live. It was a blast! I'll post a thread about it later...

THIS IS NOT MY FINAL SUIT FOLKS. IT'S A COMBINATION OF MY OLD SUIT AND NEW SUIT.

IMG_0451.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back