Portal Gun - Molding Started!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS.

Amazing job, any tips for the foam route? It looked like it worked fantabulous. :p

Shade said:
Wonder what you could do with Halo props? Nice looking gun btw. :whistle:

heh, I actually have a guy who has emailed me about a Halo Sniper Rifle, and I've always wanted to build a Rocket Launcher for myself just... because. We'll see though, ever since this thing blew up online I've been booked solid with commissions. My next big project is Guy's helmet from Daft Punk, and that one's going to take a while.

Keegan said:
Amazing job, any tips for the foam route? It looked like it worked fantabulous. :p

The foam route was... okay. Really, what I should have done is molded the finished piece and cast it in resin, but I was a little pressed for time. That being said, it does make a pretty rigid structure on its own. I rough-plotted out the shape on a foam block, then started with a coping saw to get the general shape. After that I switched to an orbital sander with a 60-grit pad to refine it a bit, then hand-sanding with 100. Using the wonderflex plastic, you have to get it really hot to stretch the amount I got it to so you can avoid wrinkles and seams. The nice thing is it melts the foam to itself as it cools, so you don't have to glue anything. After that, it was several layers of high build primer, bondo, and a bunch of sanding.

I haven't poked around this site and read everything on it, but one of the best materials to work with I found was this stuff called Apoxie Sculpt. Its a 2-part system, but non-toxic and has about a 1-hour working time. It sands wonderfully and can make very fine edges and details. Thats how I got the pointed edges and raised portions on the white casings.

A bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

I'm working on posting some images to a blog site, so for anyone who doesn't want to go through downloading the files, I can toss up some pics of the build process if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
hot damn dude you just made 405th history
if i can recall you are the first person to get in the elite showcase with non-halo related prop

xXBattle RifleXx said:
hot damn dude you just made 405th history
if i can recall you are the first person to get in the elite showcase with non-halo related prop

Wow, I guess that probably deserves some more images in the original post then! I'll toss a few more up there (Done! hope you guys don't mind the pic whoring). Thanks for the honor, 405th.

Proper professional standered that is. If you get permission from the creators of Portal and give them some profit I bet you could probably sell that in shops. And maybe get them produced in factories.

Now, that is one amazing prop! Might have to add this to my project list(which keeps getting bigger).

Adam294

WMHunterTLS said:
Proper professional standered that is. If you get permission from the creators of Portal and give them some profit I bet you could probably sell that in shops. And maybe get them produced in factories.

Thanks dude, I've actually been contacted by a "game developer" (though I can't say which one. Their name rhymes with... uh... Malve.) about making one for display at their headquarters!

As for duplicates, I am only going to make 5, which will be sold. 2 are going to private individuals, one has been claimed by the gaming developer mentioned above, and another is being donated to a charity auction (Child's Play, if they're interested), which will take place in November of this coming year. I have come to the conclusion that the final one will be auctioned off to the public upon its completion (eBay!)

Truthfully, a LOT of people want these things, and as much as I could just make a never ending string of portal guns, it would diminish the uniqueness of the piece. It would be a stretch to call my work art, but it is a very accurate replica, and keeping the production numbers low will make the existing models even more rare and unique to their owners. The reason the final two are being auctioned is to make sure that anyone who wants a shot at getting one has that opportunity. One of them will be signed by all of the developers working at... uh... "Malve", and that will be the one auctioned off to charity.

All of the replicas will be built in resin-cast molds, to speed production. After the final one has been completed, all the molds will be destroyed. I guess I'll use this as a progress thread if you guys are interested in how things are coming along.

congrats on "malve" noticing your work, you've already impressed every one here...may as well get the guys behind the curtain too

Hope the guys at Malve are happy with their new piece of art.

Too bad Valve didn't get in on the opportunity.

EDIT: GLaDOS is so happy, she has a surprise for you!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

WOW thats awesome!! ya know if i had that i could park our truck vurtually anywhere. Boy i could see it now, even senior citizens with their handicap stickers would absolutely be jealous!!! LOL

Hope no one minds the bump on this but this lovely prop is now featured in a Playstation magazine with a full page feature.
I just thought that was awesome. Anytime i got anything in a magazine, it was to get made fun of. So this was pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back