Progress On My New Set Of Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Swoop said:
Don't forget to put an edge strup around the inside edge of the helmet or you are going to get glass in your chin!

I plan on doing that as the last piece (except the visor).

1ManBattalion said:
I reckon you should go for Blue LEDs, white just feels boring.

I already bought some white LEDs. I looked at the final scene in H3 and it looks like he has white lights.

Thanks for all the complements. I hopefully will have it wired tonight. Depends on if I can get to radio shack after work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wired the LEDs to my helmet. It came out great. The only problem I have with it is its not as bright as id like. Think I just used too high of a resistor? The LEDs are 3.3v 25mA powered by 2x 9v batteries with a 220 ohm resistor.

100_0788.jpg

And with the headlights on.

100_0786.jpg

how do you want to wire it? my solution would be ... (see the poor paint grafik in the attechment) when you want to use 2 batteries and 2 switches (for each side an own circuit)

Ps: if you´re going to try this one, and you didn´t get a 96 ohm resistor, use the next higher one. hope that helps, if not, feel free to ask ;-)

Robogenisis said:
That is dim. Make sure the 9-volts have power to begin with :p.

Im pretty sure those are new batteries but I might go and get some more just in case.

Edit: Well I went and got some brand new batteries and its still not as bright as id like but its alittle better. All I need now is to pad it and put in a visor. Hopefully ill be working on painting the hand plates tomorrow so well see what happens.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Im pretty sure those are new batteries but I might go and get some more just in case.

Edit: Well I went and got some brand new batteries and its still not as bright as id like but its alittle better. All I need now is to pad it and put in a visor. Hopefully ill be working on painting the hand plates tomorrow so well see what happens.
I personally want my LED's to not be super bright. I don't want to blind people everytime they look at me :p. Your first lighting was definitely to dim though. I'll be watching for updates :D.

Try a 120 Ohm resistor instead of a 220. That should help out quite a bit, and you won't be blinding people.

well I dont want to burn them out. I used an online LED caculator and it came out to 216 and it said to get a 220. Im just going to leave it the way it was. It is brighter after I changed batteries. Ill try and remember to get a pic tonight when I get off work. But I plan to work on the hand plates some tonight. Hopefully Ill get them painted also. :p

Sorry for double post but here ya go. Well I finished my first coat of resin on my chest piece. (Sorry no pics of that. Ill wait till its fully fiberglassed). I am 50% done painting my right hand piece. And im almost done with the forearm. That brings me to my question. Did anyone else have to trim around the wrist? I think I have the scale perfect but Its not even done around the wrist and I can barely get my hand in.

In this pic it is alittle low. Its just not being held in place by anything.

100_0809.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0808.jpg

Twitch! Great work on everything! But, in your last post, it seems to me that your forearm is way too small. I didn't have to trim the wrist at all, but then again I built it at the default size. However I think you should at least be able to get your hand in without trimming significantly. Just my two cents.

Otherwise everything looks great! Will be watching to see it finished soon!

Ixius

helmet looks great, but it looks like your going to redo the forearm like the other two post said...size it up a few more inches

Ok im gonna go ahead and resize it. Id rather it be small than too big. At least when its too small I can give it to my girlfriend for her future armor. I mean one less piece to make her right. :p . But I redid some measuring today and im going to be upping by about an inch. Think that should do it. What I did was look at pics of legendary's armor and measured what it would be on my arm. What do you think. An inch should fix it right? Thanks for the imput. Any suggestions from the legends or anyone else?

I'm gonna say more than an inch. If you look at in-game reference (which you should be, since the models are built off of in-game models) the edge of the elbow, if not past.

med_gallery_3546_17_208598.jpg

Yeah, they fit pretty 'roomy' when you size them that big, but you've got to remember, "real" Spartan armor wouldn't be paper-thin, and the Chief has probably got much bigger forearms than you too. :p

Well I measured from about an inch past my elbow to the bone on my wrist and its about one inch bigger than the one I just made. But im in the Dallas/Fort Worth area till tuesday so ill do alittle work on it when I get back. Its just hard to tell in those pics. That one does fit me alot better than it shows. But like I said I think an inch will do it. I might go an inch and a half or 1/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back