Progress On My Pepa/mache'd Mkvi Helm! (new Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupokitty

Man, I'm slow.

Mod Podge is the hobo's alternative to fiberglassing.

[attachment=3890:pepbandt...hief_123.jpg]
Top before 'Podge-ification.
[attachment=3889:pepbandt...hief_127.jpg]
Mmmm. Glue.

I hope this Halo 2 model Pepa ends up fairly accurate when compared to what's being made from the newer models.

Yes.

I will not get it. My mom will throw a fit.

And I'm just getting the base done. I still need to add several more layers of paper mache.

And the Halo 2 model is not very detailed to begin with.

Queen said:
Yes.

I will not get it. My mom will throw a fit.
And I'm just getting the base done. I still need to add several more layers of paper mache.
And the Halo 2 model is not very detailed to begin with.
You have to take in consederation that the Halo 2 helmet is accurate too... it's not the 3d model, but it's still accurate.
In the game, instead of making every slope etc. (So that it doesnt use alot of performace).

The model itself isnt that accurate but the bump maps show all the details.

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
It is actually coming along really nicely. When I saw the duct tape on the first pic I was alittle unsure, but it really looks good (even covered in glue :p ). Just try to find a detail alternatice since bondo is not an option.

How exactly did you reinforce it (materials and steps) and how strong is it? I'm trying to find a non-toxic alternative to fiberglass.

oh okay my parents throw a fit too but they will stop doin that when i scratch their car and go get some 'car filler/bondo' =P

That brown stuff under the glue is actually just a paper bag that I shredded. The way I'm making this paper-mache'd bag helmet will make it stiff enough for costuming purposes, but it'll be a bit squishy because Modge Podge isn't super-hard like fiberglass. I've made a mask out of this stuff before, and the Modge Podge glue can take a little beating. I don't advise making the crotch armor out of it, though. It'll bend too easily, but it's fixable.

Here's what I've done so far:

Hot glued Pepa pieces together
Resined outside of helmet with 1 layer
Paper-mache'd a layer- still need a few more

....Or you could have gone with Frost's hot glue method,and the crossfire truckbed liner method, which is easier and more efficient.

I could have, but my mom doesn't like the idea of me melting glue and slathering it everywhere. And Modge Podge works the same, and is cheaper than hot glue. At least where I live, anyway.

Edit:

Modge Podge isn't hot, and therefore, cannot cause paaaaain. Unfortunately, it takes a while to dry if your coatings are outrageously thick, like mine... But! It is non-toxic and smells like Elmer's glue, only better!

New pics.
I added more paper-mache. I still need to work on certain areas of the helmet, such as the back and those areas with the black outlines.
pepamkviprogress003.jpg

pepamkviprogress002.jpg

pepamkviprogress001.jpg

pepamkviprogress014.jpg

pepamkviprogress011.jpg

pepamkviprogress007.jpg

The tiny hole in the brownness in the far right of the last pic is fixed.

Queen said:
I still need to work on certain areas of the helmet

Sorry to tell you this buddy... you not only need to work on certain areas... you need to restart your helmet.
This is absolutely the WORST helmet i have seen (not to be mean or anything, but i'm just being honest).

And have you seen how cool helmet's have some other guys done with the halo 2 model?

-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: People, please dont critisize my comment... If i would say it looks nice i would be lying... I dont want to lie!

Finnish_Spartan said:
Sorry to tell you this buddy... you not only need to work on certain areas... you need to restart your helmet.
This is absolutely the WORST helmet i have seen (not to be mean or anything, but i'm just being honest).

And have you seen how cool helmet's have some other guys done with the halo 2 model?

-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: People, please dont critisize my comment... If i would say it looks nice i would be lying... I dont want to lie!
Would you mind telling me why you don't like it? Don't just bash my experiment without good reasons.

I don't necessarily agree with Finnish about your helmet.. I think you've just taken a different approach than most people have. Until we see it completed, we can't rightly judge it.

If you're looking for a non-toxic alternatrive to fiberglass (that Mom might approve of) you should consider Aqua-Resin.

For more info visit this thread:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=121341

and this one:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=&s...st&p=123457

Other than that the best advise I can give is to work cleanly, and to try to conform to your pep pattern as closely as possible. The devil is in the details, so to speak. I suspect that you can make a respectable helmet with this method, the paint job should help with the overall appearance alot.

I've seen some decent paper mache helmets here.. It's completely possible. Dont be discouraged..

Best of luck

the different tones in the paper mache make it look misshapen, but after it is primed, it will look better than most i have seen here.

Everyone is a n0oB at something. When was the last time You got it right the first time? Wait until the finished pics are up to say it sucks (which it doesn't). He is just showing the process. All scratchbuilds look like crap in the beginning. This forum is for helping each other, not for telling people how crappy their work is.

~end of rant...

Thanks for the links, guys.

Has there been any more paper-mache'd helmets, by any chance? I want to see how those turned out.

Finnish_Spartan said:

-Fin(n)ish

Sheesh man...

I am not sure if its a language barrier or what but there is a HUGE difference between constructive criticism and telling someone that they have created the WORST helmet you have ever seen. Here you have a person trying his hardest to create a nice lid and instead of offering encouraging words of advice, you lay her open.

Nothing wrong with honesty, but the manner in which you critique leaves much to be desired. I have seen your work and its not bad. How about throwing a few tips from your own experiences to the kid that might help him out. Anyone can slam but a true artist will take a few extra sentences to explain what could be done to make the project more successful.

Not trying to be a jerk, but think about the other persons perspective and how your words may affect them before hitting the add reply button.

My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back