PROJECT: Gundam Head Strike (costume)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiltonican

Jr Member
Got a project that's nearing completion. My Halloween costume. It's a Strike Freedom helmet! But, I'm going to try to make the anime/comic/game convention this weekend. First time ever at a cosplay. Bringing my daughter whose going to be in the Zaku II costume (in another thread)

I had introduced myself before with this build but never did get into details. So, I'll try it here.

This was my initial photoshop mockup.
Mockup_Helm.jpg

Modelled in Maya.
MayaSnap.png

Pep
PepakuraFaceSnap.png

PepakuraSnap.png

Cleaned up a bit in Pep
PepHelmSnap.png

IMG_3643.jpg

An old pep costume from a couple Halloweens ago:
71600_496424302673_610357673_7702658_3891774_n.jpg

Fast forward a bit...
teaser.jpg

Meanwhile, I'll just post random progress pics of the build. Slowly bringing you guys up to speed:

Here, the helmet shell is all paper... or to be more exact, 120lbs card stock. I reinforced the paper with laminating resin. To give it rigidity and strength.
IMG_4620.jpg

Bunch of electronics I'm putting into it. Couple fans for air circulation, switches for lights, etc.
IMG_3680.jpg

The V-fins are made of 0.08" gauge plastic sheet. I'll be using a lot of it here and there.
IMG_4038.jpg

Here, I layered some cloth into some resin. Binding it all together to form a composite material. Super strong at this point!! I could use fibreglass or carbon fiber, but that route is too expensive. But, it's the same process. Hanging to dry.
IMG_4014.jpg

At my workbench. Forming the V-fins.
IMG_5856b.jpg

Oh yea.. the face.. it retracts! I imagine the tiny eye holes wouldn't be sufficient enough for vision. So, a requirement to pivot it out of the way on occasion.
A video of it in action:
th_IMG_6016.jpg

Fan placement:
IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

Solid now. All the fabric/resin all layered up. Super stiff.
IMG_5887.jpg

Inside view of the hinge mechanism. Simple pivot.
IMG_5896.jpg

Diagram of airflow:
FanSchematic.jpg

Devil's in the details:
One of the demands on this project for me was to NOT take any shortcuts. It's a learning experience in what my abilities are. Always pushing the boundaries. It's a personal journey. It's a philosophy of mine.

I could simply draw or paint the details in.. but.. that would be easy. hehe Besides, making them rather than drawing them give the helmet a whole new level of dimension. Much more satisfying to the viewer.

Details1.jpg

Details2.jpg

Bought a couple of LED flashlights from the dollarstore. Cut them out and detailed them:
IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

Painted the inside matte black:
IMG_6154.jpg

Cutting out the nostrils. These are actually functional nostrils as there will be a mini fan pulling fresh air through them!
IMG_6156.jpg

Thruster detail:
IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

Wow this is really looking amazing. You are really taking the time to put a lot of detail into it which coming along nicely. Cant wait to see the finished project!

Machine Guns:
(I hate electronics. Nowhere near as good as some of you guys here. So, please don't laugh at me! haha)
Soldered a couple of wires into the LED fashlight's circuitboard. Testing it out:
IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6224.jpg

Camera Lens (mohawk lens):
With this part, I had to fabricate something unique. Something that will allow light through from behind. Yet have some mech detail. Only way I can think of is make it from scratch. From resin. First, I'll need to sculpt the mold (made of plasticine):
IMG_6252.jpg

box it up...
IMG_6255.jpg

mixed up some (2-part) resin, pour into the mold. Let dry overnight.
th_ResinMixing.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

test fit:
IMG_6370.jpg

painted a clear blue:
IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

this looks amazing!!! Will you be working on making a full gundam suit? this reminds me of a full suit i saw at a convention a few years back, the guy stood about 7 feet tall in his armor, i belive he was from wing.
your daughter is adorible by the way>,<
keep up the awsome work!

this looks amazing!!! Will you be working on making a full gundam suit? this reminds me of a full suit i saw at a convention a few years back, the guy stood about 7 feet tall in his armor, i belive he was from wing.
your daughter is adorible by the way>,<
keep up the awsome work!

Haha.. thanks. No. I don't think this build will go beyond the chest. Maybe I'll do the shoulders and arms. Maybe.

I had sketched it all up. And to make it look good on my body was just not working out. Even if I went with the chibi (super deformed) style. To me, if it's not going to work, I won't bother. All or nothing.

Switches:
The controls for all the lights and fans. All accessible from the behind the goatee!
IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

PROBLEM!
The V-fins are WAY too heavy. There's lot of solid resin in the cavity. With all that weight in front of me, it makes turning side to side very difficult. I hollowed it out a bit. But, I'm afraid it wasn't enough. And I've run out of time. I'll have to deal with it. I may have to revisit this later... after the convention this weekend.
HeavyVfins.jpg

All Primed up:
IMG_6412.jpg

Initial Designs for the decals:
DecalWIP.png

Decal Designs finished on computer:
IMG_6542.jpg

Printed at the local printshop, Kinko's. $2 a piece!!! They're colour laser prints on transparency labels!
IMG_6545.jpg

Wiring:
Clamped things down on my vise. With the assistance of my gerry-rigged alligator clips as my 3rd hand. Here I begin the torturous task of soldering all the LEDs together.
IMG_6563.jpg

Even heat shrink wrapped all the joints!
IMG_6564.jpg

Now we have light!
IMG_6568.jpg

Ok.. just a few more.. hehe
IMG_6574.jpg

Eyes:
Using a piece of 2x4 wood, I cut it for the form. Heating up a piece of lexan plastic to soften it up and forming it so I get the curve I want.
IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6646.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

Hot Glue sucks:
Never said it before, so I'll say it here. I really dislike hot glue. Not a whole lot of positives, but I can name quite a few negatives....

- takes time for the glue gun to warm up
- glue gun is awkward to use in tight spaces
- glue sticks always run out. all the time.
- MESSY!
- those spiderweb-like strands with each use. And it's endless!! You just keep pulling and pulling
- not really a strong bond.
- dries cloudy

IMG_6581copy.jpg

Obstacle: Here, I globbed some hot glue in the area where I was to place the fan. But, it rolled over into the fan blades!!!! UGH!!! Glued them down. I had to go back in, cutting and re-melting the hot glue to rip the *fan unit out. Some more cutting and sanding got the blades free. Hot glue sucks.

Polish:
IMG_6611.jpg

The "camera lens" in the mohawk is a bit dull. So, I grabbed my bottle of 'fine scratch remover'. It was for polishing up tiny scratches on my rear plastic window on my convertible. Grabbed a towel and rubbed the face up with lots of elbow grease.

LED Experiment:
While I was wiring some of the LEDs, I noticed one of them had a bad flicker. So, I cut it out of the system. As decided to use it for experimenting. I wanted to see if I could diffuse the LED bulbs a bit. And I know hot glue dries cloudy. So, I put the two together....
IMG_6629.jpg

I globbed some hot glue right ON the LED bulb. And let it dry. You can see in the pic... the LED bulb is completely "submerged" inside the wad of hot glue.

IMG_6631.jpg

Test wired it to my battery... and voila! A nice diffused glow! Success. I'll do this to a few of the bulbs in the "camera lens"

Wire connectors:
IMG_6607.jpg

Bought some quick-release wire-to-wire connectors for some parts of the electrical work. The fins are separable, so these are needed. I'm not really liking these types. But I couldn't find any better alternative. These were pretty prices too. Don't like pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back