Project Turtle Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaiganBoi

Sr Member
Greeting ladies and gents. Fan Expo is done and there is no rest for the weary. It's that time of year again. I have started my son's Halloween 2018 costume. This year my son wants to be The Shredder from TMNT. The 2003 animated series version.
Tmnt_blog001-06.png TMNT-2k3-Shredder.jpg
As seen above this is the version I am going to build. With some minor deviations
20180902_145124.jpg
I started with the helmet and made a frame on which to build on.
20180903_142201.jpg 20180903_142803.jpg 20180903_150853.jpg
I am quite obviously building from scratch so some duct tape templates were made.
20180907_215045.jpg
After putting on the frill thingies I noticed that the back came straight down and didn't flare out like I wanted. I had to do some surgery and inserted some wedges to get a better shape.
20180909_211023.jpg 20180909_211053.jpg
At this point I am at the stage where I'm relatively happy with the helmet. Some changes to the facemask might be made.
20180909_211132.jpg
Comparison between my first ever prop from 2 years ago. Does anyone think my skills have improved any?

Thanks for looking at what is now my 4th cosplay build. As always comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Manage to finish the body armour this week. As with everything that will be in this build, templates from scratch.
20180915_133719.jpg 20180915_133737.jpg 20180915_140033.jpg
The AB plate was something I learned watching a YouTube vid... I forgot who did it... Once I look it up, I'll post it for anyone interested.
20180915_223214.jpg 20180915_223231.jpg
It didn't turn out perfectly but, I still like it.
20180916_150259.jpg 20180916_150308.jpg 20180916_150320.jpg
Here's the costume so far. For those of you who will notice. Yes, the helmet is a little large. It was not intentional. I realized the bobbleheadedness as soon as it was built. The frame is 10mm and the helmet is 10mm. In hindsight I should have built it with 6mm to be more proportional. I am keeping it as is to give it a more cartoonish look.

Awesome work..... your level of foam work is looking like the pros! Props man. Look forward to seeing another fabulous piece.
Thanks man! There is a sense of satisfaction and sanity when making templates from scratch. Its also a heck of a lot easier putting the thing together. Not to knock down anyone who unfolds game assets but, a lot of the times they are a mess to figure out how to put the bloody thing together!

BTW. Here is the YouTube vid of how I learned to make some abs.

Something new I have been considering is adding LED lights. In my first post the reference pic of Shredder has just a black face and red eyes.
I want to do something like a black veil I guess to cover the face and make some simple lenses with red light to get the glowing eyes going on. Time to do some youtube research!

Something new I have been considering is adding LED lights. In my first post the reference pic of Shredder has just a black face and red eyes.
I want to do something like a black veil I guess to cover the face and make some simple lenses with red light to get the glowing eyes going on. Time to do some youtube research!

Check out the Punished Props Draugr Helmet builds. They add LEDs and a bit of mesh to make ghostly eyes and it looks really good.

Progress on the armour. Cuffs for forearms and shins are done.
Did I mention that I don't like the 10mm floor mats I am using? They don't take to heat forming very well. So the shins are freaking butt ugly. If I had time and more foam I would. Hopefully paint will distract from my hatred of it.
Shoulders are done as well. Lots of gap filling was done. Again cuz this foam sucks. As as some filling done on the bucket and faceplate. All that's left is the hand claw and learn how to make a simple sash with some cheap material I picked up at the fabric store. 20181003_204122.jpg 20181004_122343.jpg 20181004_122125.jpg

I haven't touched Turtle Soup too much since my last post. When I did finally get a tiny bit of painting done I learned a valuable lesson. That lesson is: Don't leave painters tape on Fexidiped foam for more than a week and in a spot where the sun can warm up the prop.
20181014_200510[1].jpg
20181014_200519[1].jpg

As you can see when I peeled the tape off it just ripped the FlexiDip right off with it and some chunks of foam in some parts as well.
I'm gonna roll with it and weather it so it looks like the shoulder spikes are well worn.

I haven't touched Turtle Soup too much since my last post. When I did finally get a tiny bit of painting done I learned a valuable lesson. That lesson is: Don't leave painters tape on Fexidiped foam for more than a week and in a spot where the sun can warm up the prop.
View attachment 261183 View attachment 261184

As you can see when I peeled the tape off it just ripped the FlexiDip right off with it and some chunks of foam in some parts as well.
I'm gonna roll with it and weather it so it looks like the shoulder spikes are well worn.

I just avoid any *****Dip and painters tape at all costs because of the way it forms a peel-able skin. If there is a section that needs taping off, I remove the tape before the dip cures completely. You might need some interesting hand holds to prevent touching wet dip but it definitely helps.

For my recruit charred helmet I used a lot of painters tape to get the design it had to look the way it did I practically covered the whole helmet in tape and drew on that. What I did was plastidipped the helmet, then put two coats of black spray paint primer over that, then masked it all off. I never add detail or mask the helmet unroll it already has some extra paint on it, in case it needs to be sanded down or something like this happens. I'm sorry that it turned out the way it did, but accidental weathering is the best type of weathering :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back