pronounciation of mjolnir

Status
Not open for further replies.
S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Correction: Iceland still uses the old norse language. Since Iceland never has been occupied since the old Viking settlement, it seems likely that the language has not changed much.

Did you even read anything at the site I posted? It says on the site how Old Norse, as it once was, changed over the course of time into three similar but distinct languages.

[sarcasm]Of course, what do I know. I'm not from "The Land of the Vikings". I am a mere idiot that doesn't understand someone else's culture because I don't belong to it. I mean, I must not since I'm American and there is no greater culture than ours. Nothing existed before us.[/sarcasm]

Don't take my word for it, but read the following taken from that site.
"The linguistic genealogy of Old Norse begins with the spread of Proto-Indo-European. Schematically, we may imagine that the community which later became Germanic speakers was at some time a group of speakers of a certain dialect of Proto-Indo-European (PIE). When their speech community became sufficiently separated from other PIE speakers to allow for independent language evolution, over time their dialect developed into what we may term Common Germanic or Proto-Germanic (PGmc). The same process then repeated, so that, through the course of migration, distinct groups within the PGmc speech community became isolated from one another. By the late pre-Christian, early Christian era, there emerged three distinct dialects: East, West, and North Germanic. From West Germanic developed Old English and Old Frisian, as well as Old High German and Old Saxon. From North Germanic are descended the Scandinavian languages, with the oldest literature in Old Norse. East Germanic is only attested in Gothic, which has no modern descendants.

Such a tripartite division unfortunately oversimplifies the situation. There seem to be several points of convergence between branches, so that it is difficult to maintain a view of early division and subsequent isolation. For example, Old Norse and Gothic show a common innovation within the Germanic family, whereby medial jj and ww are both sharpened (to ddj and ggw in Gothic, to ggj and ggw in Old Norse). Likewise both retain -t as a marker of the second person singular past indicative. These might be considered indications of a close affinity between the East and North branches of Germanic.

On the other hand, Old Norse shares some features with West Germanic, to the exclusion of Gothic. In Old Norse and West Germanic both -dōm and -skapi are used as suffixes to produce abstract nouns, whereas they are only used as root nouns in Gothic. Old Norse and the West Germanic languages also show the pervasive traces of umlaut, which is absent in Gothic. Gothic exhibits the change of initial fl- to þl-, absent in both North and West Germanic. Reduplicated verbs are still somewhat productive in Gothic, but completely marginalized in Old Norse and West Germanic.

Thus a simplistic family-tree model resulting from presumed linguistic isolation is a tenuous and sometimes misleading synopsis of the early development of the Germanic languages. Close ties between speech communities must have survived migratory periods, and the relative uniformity of literary traditions must gloss over a more intricate web of common speech."

If you don't understand that, it means that the language used called Old Norse doesn't truly exist anymore. As most lanuages, it evolved within separate locations into separate but close dialects. For a better example, if you ever visit China there are like 10 or more different lanuages spoken around their shores. To us, it all sounds the same, but there are many differences in pronuciation, tone, and execution of the languages when actually spoken. Another, example might be one close to home here in the US. If you talk to people up and down the east coast, you find a lot of different accents and sayings which in some regards is a totally different language to those not a custom to it. It all started from a beginning language, but change as people moved farther apart and interacted with others of different origin.

Now if you'd still like to be ignorate and say I'm completely wrong. Go ahead, at least I tried enlightening you to see beyond your set way of thinking.

Someone once told me, "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed".
Believe what you want, but always try to keep an open mind. In that fact I'll say this as well, bring me proof such as I've brought you, and prove that the old language is definitivly not dead along with proof that your pronuciation is correct, and I'll secede to your pronuciation.

Proof is not, I repeat NOT, the fact that you are a part of Viking/Nordic heritage only.

-Magnum

PS: I've emailed the director of the department at UT that heads up their language studies. Hopefully, he will settle this debate once and for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy at UT was no help at all. ...smarmy bastard

Anyway, I looked through the site again and went back to it's pronuciation guide. This is what I gathered from there...Lesson 1: Grammer - Alphabet

M- m as in 'home'
J- y as in 'year'
O- (1) aw as in 'law', or (2) oy as in 'boy'
L- (1) l as in 'leaf', or (2) l as in 'leaf', but voiceless
N- (1) n as in 'sin', (2) n as in 'sin', but voiceless, or (3) ng as in 'sing'
I- (1) i as in 'pit', or (2) ee as in 'feet'
R- (1) r as in 'rather', but trilled, or (2) rt as in 'cart'

Myawl-neer
You pass over the first part quickly, and don't forget to trill the 'r' at the end.

This is the best I could do since the people at UT-LRC are stuck up idiots. This also backs up my brother's pronuciation mostly with some slight differences.

-Magnum

Magnum... I never said that you were wrong!
I'm just saying... Would you rather depend on something written in a book? Or would you rather listen to someone who actually lives in the country?

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
It is Mee-yohl-near. Trust me, I know. ;)
S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Magnum... I never said that you were wrong!
I'm just saying... Would you rather depend on something written in a book? Or would you rather listen to someone who actually lives in the country?

Well, the language was studied, deciphered, and translated from ancient books from the time the language was used. Then, it was cross referenced with current languages and similar ones spoken today to determine how it was spoken back THEN. In the end, if all the sources I checked had a common way of pronouncing it, I choose that one. If that pronunciation agreed with yours, then I would say I'd believe whoever, but they don't agree. Every legitimate source I've found points to the way I believe it to be said.

Let me ask you this, if you had never looked up at the sky and saw that it was blue, and you believed it to be let's say red(just for contrast). Now everyone in the world is trying to tell you it's blue and you won't believe them. I would want to look up and check for myself, wouldn't you?

Questioning what you've been taught rather than believing with blind faith isn't a bad thing. Sometimes, you actually learn something new.

Now I'm not discounting your claim of how to pronounce it, but you haven't brought any proof to back up your claim other than "I'm a Viking descendant" or "I'm from their country of origin".

Believe what you want to, but I still like to have cold hard facts to form my opinions. That's what this is an opinion. The only reason I'm discussing this so hard is to get people to learn to back up their claims, and because I found it a challenge to figure this issue out for myself and others.

-Magnum

Rofls, I guess we both are both right here...
And I must say I do agree with you. We all have our own way's of pronouncing things. ;)

magnum, i think it is unwise to fight a man from norway. and the internet isnt the best place for info. especially with most history

Spartan857 said:
magnum, i think it is unwise to fight a man from norway. and the internet isnt the best place for info. especially with most history

:oops: :oops: :oops:

You're absolutly right. What was I thinking? I'm not from Norway or any surrounding country so what would I know, after all I'm just a dumb American. So how could I possibly be smart enough to do any kind of research into anything properly?

(y) (y) (y)
:not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:

Topic over, I'm totally wrong because I'm not Norwegian.

-Magnum

PS - The above was for S-857, not you Silent Viper.

Topic over, I'm totally wrong because I'm not Norwegian.

-Magnum

PS - The above was for S-857, not you Silent Viper.
[/quote]

dang magnum take a chill pill dude. i only made a comment, no need to get fussy and whine about it. :mad: if i knew you were gunna make a big scene i wouldnt have said anything. grow up

Spartan857 said:

Yeah, I'm the one that needs to grow up? I calmly tried to convince you guys with evidence and research, and you throw stuff like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that back in my face, and you have the gall to tell ME to grow up? I'm just fed up with dealing with ignorant people like you and your close mindedness.

Now maybe I over reacted, I'm MATURE enough to admit that. Your so called comment was back handed and not at all intended with any decency or respect. You my friend, and I use the term loosely, need to learn some manners. You're only upset cause I called you out on your bull crap. Now, I'm done dealing with you. I wash my hands of this topic.

I think u guys r taking this WAY too seriously :rolleyes. Does it really matter how it's pronounced? Personally i like Mah-jol-ner. Thats me. Fighting to prove to people that say it differently that they're wrong is pointless and causes devision. We all appreciate the trouble you went to, researching this stuff magnum. Here's the easiest way to fix this. Kerotan, make a list of all the pronunciations listed here. say them all aloud and pick which one you like the most.

Apologies to anyone that may have found what i've said insulting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back