PSP Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC PwN 3R

The PSP phone is for real guys. Seriously. All those that have a PSP model of 2000 can work it.
if you are unsure of your model, its the bottom code of your PSP. it should say either PSP-1001 or PSP-2001. the PSP-2000+ is what you're aiming for.

How is this all possible? Simple, you take the specialized PSP model 2000 headphones with Remote Control and a PSP headset, usually used for Socom series. plug em together and you got your receiver. Now, you will have to update your PSP to firmware version 3.90 via network update or a really new game. Once done, you will have a new feature called Skype. This feature lets you call Skype to Skype members free of charge. For cellular and landlines, they charge via plans or 2 cents a minute. Profile and account needed.

Praise da lord, this might be the next thing to iPhones.
heres Sony's site for Skype programs and the requirements.
http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/About/Skype

heres Skype's site for the PSP tutorial and the how-to.
http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2008/01/eu...ite_owners.html

it might just be for US and Europe for now. but if we're lucky, fellow Canadians and Canadiens, it should support Canada as well.

EDIT: I have tried the Skype software on my PSP. called home, and yes, it did ring after 20 seconds or so. this time variation is depended on the speed of the Wi-Fi connection. Yes, it works in Canada.

this new software is sick. Sony is working on vido calls, using some kind of cam. it would be sweet if we had vid calls.

*yawn* old news..... :whistle:

Actually it just came out, but I've been reading about it for months now, I think it's awesome, now someone just needs to make skype ipod touch.

There is a voip program which works with some other voip service, but just made for the ipod touch, they give you like 30 minutes of free land line calling every month, the rest is all online calling, so you can make a few short calls home and such.

But with skype being alot better (and probably the best program for voip) it is nice to see it released.

for some reason i find that funny, Frosty.
but in anycase, that would be sick if they can get the Skype program to work with the iTouch. but then that would beat the purpose of th iPhone itself. so therefore, there might not be a software for the Touch.

Some dude already hacked his ipod touch with voip, all he needed was a third party mic attachment which connected to the button of the ipod touch, then he could call home and his friend.

MC PwN 3R said:
for some reason i find that funny, Frosty.
but in anycase, that would be sick if they can get the Skype program to work with the iTouch. but then that would beat the purpose of th iPhone itself. so therefore, there might not be a software for the Touch.

I think it's just a matter of time before there is a decent VoIP app for the Touch/iPhone. The way they'll probably do it though is Wi-Fi only, that way you can't get on over EDGE so it'd be pretty useless as a phone but would still be cool to use as a phone while you have Wi-Fi access :D

Update: Apple to allow VoIP on iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor said:
I think it's just a matter of time before there is a decent VoIP app for the Touch/iPhone. The way they'll probably do it though is Wi-Fi only, that way you can't get on over EDGE so it'd be pretty useless as a phone but would still be cool to use as a phone while you have Wi-Fi access :D
Oh ok

Found his video.

Just to let you know it isnt fake, my friend has the mic, we hacked his ipod touch, and this really does work.

It goes through a SIP service account which you make online for free, there are tons of them (like skype but just a different program/company)

You use the ipod's program to connect to the SIP service, and from there, tell it where to call or who to call.

AoBfrost said:
Just to let you know it isnt fake, my friend has the mic, we hacked his ipod touch, and this really does work.

It goes through a SIP service account which you make online for free, there are tons of them (like skype but just a different program/company)

You use the ipod's program to connect to the SIP service, and from there, tell it where to call or who to call.

is this SIP program for the itouch free? or is it like same concept as Skype?

There are many free services similar to skype, you can make calls for free online all you want, or you can pay to call landline phones, if you dont pay, some services will give you so many minutes for landline calling free, monthly. Really the ipod touch program just replicates the service that would be on your PC, but on an ipod touch, it just logs you into your SIP service and from there on, you make the calls.

skype is kool and all, but the hackers beat sony to it, kinda. Once the article was released(not the actual skype on the XMB) team n00bz already went to work on a psp to psp, psp to landline caling application. Its called Furikup. Skype only works on the slim and sony uses gomessenger on the phat as an attempt to compensate for all the phat users. But with Furikup you can do what you can with skype on a phat psp, that is if you have a voip provider, I've tried it and it works, sound isent all that great but its still in beta, i use Voipcheap for my provider, i know they give some sorta free calls. (this is all on custom firmware mind you)

And on the gomessenger, its currently only released in Europe, but with custom firmware you are able to fake your region,(which once again i have tried) and it works.

And on the ipod touch as a phone thing...THAT IS AWSOME!! i have been thinkin about selling my psp to get one and if this works i might actually do it

I have a model PSP-1001 and i just updated to 3.90, and it has the skype function. I havent gotten to try it out yet cause I dont have wireless...or a skype account for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back