Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTzOminousTic

Jr Member
Hello everyone, I just recently joined after getting inspired to make a Daft Punk Helmet (Guy's).

I printed out the pep files, folded and glue'd everything together and even applied a light coat of resin on the outside. I dont really like fiberglass but I'll use it if I have to.

This picture is before I applied the light coat of Resin
1000821r.jpg

I was thinking of just resining the inside of the head and then applying another coat of resin to the outside. Then start bondo'ing.

Will I be ok to start bondo'ing or should I just fiberglass or maybe rondo the inside?

I don't really have money to go out and buy this and that so I'm limited on supplies and tools.

What do I do if I make Bondo and added too little hardener? Should I just make another batch with more hardener and go over it?

Will add more questions as I come across them.

Fibreglass it.

And more importantly: If you want to save money, please don't try to do it by not using safety equipment.

You'll definitely want to fibreglass or rondo the inside of your helmet, just a coat of resin won't do it. Since you've already got the resin, I'd suggest fibreglassing it, the cloth/mat is not expensive and is relatively easy once you get the hang of it.
Good luck, Squish

Fibreglass it.

And more importantly: If you want to save money, please don't try to do it by not using safety equipment.

Yeah, I applied this coat of resin without a respirator, (Don't have one at the moment but I was using a bandana (If that matters) and I wasn't really breathing above the helmet. Its also kinda windy outside but its still hot as hell (Vegas) So I was in a very ventilated area) and as I was waiting for it to dry when I went inside to do research on some stuff and I read that I NEED a respirator so I'm gonna put everything on halt untill I get one.

EDIT: I love how fast people reply here! :D

EDIT#2:
You'll definitely want to fibreglass or rondo the inside of your helmet, just a coat of resin won't do it. Since you've already got the resin, I'd suggest fibreglassing it, the cloth/mat is not expensive and is relatively easy once you get the hang of it.
Good luck, Squish

Yeah I already got the fiberglass mat.

I was using a bandana (If that matters)

A piece of cloth has absolutely no effect. That's why respirators were invented in the first place, remember?

(And no, working outside or when it's windy doesn't necessarily help either.)

EDIT: I love how fast people reply here! :D
That's all part of your premium package trial! Starting with the third answer (that would be this one) you're charged 5$ per answer for priority (=fast) international (=I'm from Europe) service. Enjoy :)

A piece of cloth has absolutely no effect. That's why respirators were invented in the first place, remember?

(And no, working outside or when it's windy doesn't necessarily help either.)

That's all part of your premium package trial! Starting with the third answer (that would be this one) you're charged 5$ per answer for priority (=fast) international (=I'm from Europe) service. Enjoy :)

Thanx.
What kind of respirator would I have to get?
I asked me friend if he had any and he sent me a pic of the one he has. Not sure if its helpful against the fumes from resin though.

0713012002.jpg

You just have to buy one that says it filters vapours, if you go with 3M it should be NIOSH P90 or P100 (ideally the latter). You're going to spend between 30 and 65 dollars on this thing (because your life is worth way more than the monetary setback) so ask somebody in the store to help you choose a respirator that will filter fibreglass resin fumes.

Also, when you aren't using your respirator take the filters off and put them in a zip-lock bag. It's a bit annoying but it will drastically increase the life of the filters. Filters are always "on" and filtering air, so even though you aren't actively drawing air through them they are still being "worn down". Filters do have a lifespan. If you smell fumes then they've died.

thats the same one i'm using. gotmine from a friend too haha. but i actually dont know if thats the one i'm supposed to be using. and as far as the hardener goes. as long as you put some in it'll harden just might take awhile.

Really respirators - or anything that you breathe through - shouldn't be shared because of the hygienic issues involved therein, but it doesn't really matter... just a side note really...

On a more relevant note, it doesn't really matter what it looks like as much as the rating of the filter. Just buy one that filters "organic vapor" and you should be good.

You just have to buy one that says it filters vapours, if you go with 3M it should be NIOSH P90 or P100 (ideally the latter). You're going to spend between 30 and 65 dollars on this thing (because your life is worth way more than the monetary setback) so ask somebody in the store to help you choose a respirator that will filter fibreglass resin fumes.

Also, when you aren't using your respirator take the filters off and put them in a zip-lock bag. It's a bit annoying but it will drastically increase the life of the filters. Filters are always "on" and filtering air, so even though you aren't actively drawing air through them they are still being "worn down". Filters do have a lifespan. If you smell fumes then they've died.

Thanx for your input! :D I checked on the homedepot.com site and these 3 are like the ones I've seen that have that P100/NIOSH P90 thing

1) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
2) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
3) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Which one would you recommend getting?
I'm still gonna ask one of the workers though, that way I don't get the wrong one. :$

I asked me friend if he had any and he sent me a pic of the one he has. Not sure if its helpful against the fumes from resin though.

It's the right one. It has filters against organic vapours (the cartridges with the black labels, #6001) and particles (the white things clamped onto them).

You just have to buy one that says it filters vapours, if you go with 3M it should be NIOSH P90 or P100 (ideally the latter).

This is neither specific to 3M nor are P-, R- or N-filters good against vapours, regardless of the number. They differ in oil resistance and filtering capabilities, but they're all just particle filters and looking for a "NIOSH approved P100" filter will bring up those white cheapo dust masks as well. The organic vapour filters are the thing to look for.

Really respirators - or anything that you breathe through - shouldn't be shared because of the hygienic issues involved therein

These masks can be cleaned and disinfected. No big deal.

The two I quoted will work. They both protect against particles (P100) and organic vapours, and the one with the yellow label also provides (in your case superfluous) protection against acid gases.

It's the right one. It has filters against organic vapours (the cartridges with the black labels, #6001) and particles (the white things clamped onto them).

This is neither specific to 3M nor are P-, R- or N-filters good against vapours, regardless of the number. They differ in oil resistance and filtering capabilities, but they're all just particle filters and looking for a "NIOSH approved P100" filter will bring up those white cheapo dust masks as well. The organic vapour filters are the thing to look for.

These masks can be cleaned and disinfected. No big deal.

The two I quoted will work. They both protect against particles (P100) and organic vapours, and the one with the yellow label also provides (in your case superfluous) protection against acid gases.

Woot. So i'll just borrow my friend's respirator. :D

Also, Another friend sent me a picture of the respirator he has which is this one:
20110713211852.jpg

Would this one work aswell?

For the record, I have this same respirator, and I'm very satisfied with it.

I'd recommend getting to know the requirements for respirators for working with resin (which have been posted by other helpful members in this thread) instead of just taking photos of one and posting them here asking us if it's the correct one.

Well If the respirators were right here in front of me then I really wouldn't be asking about them......

Woot. So i'll just borrow my friend's respirator. :D

Also, Another friend sent me a picture of the respirator he has which is this one:
[Picture]

Would this one work aswell?

The package sports the same name as the first respirator from Home Depot you linked, so it might be the same one. Then again it might not be, because the filters look a little too slim to be those combination filters with the purple cap. Bottom line: No way to be sure from that picture.

Spitfire is right though: You really should know how respirators work, what kinds there are and what to look for. Knowing this stuff is in your own best interest, because there is a TON of misinformation floating around that can easily mislead you, and obviously even more so the more you're depending on other people's knowledge.

If you dont like fiberglassing, you could hotglue in pieces of cardboard inside, and if you give those a good one or two coats of resin they are almost as hard because they are thick and they soak up alot of resin. Seriously just dried resin is almost rock hard if its 1/4 inch thick.

With regards to the filter ratings...
There will most likely be a letter/number combo, either N, P, or R, and 90, 95, 99, or 100.
N-Series filters are for dust ONLY that does not contain oil. They have a non-specific service life.
R-Series filters are resistant to oil and provide protection against both solid and liquid aerosol particulates that may contain oil. They are rated for an 8-hour service life.
P-Series filters are resistant to oil and provide protection against both solid and liquid aerosol particulates that may contain oil. They have a non-specific service life and can be used as long the mask is not damaged or breathing resistances is not detected.

The numbers are how much they filter out, percentage wise. P100 is a HEPA grade filter, and will filter out pretty much all the particulates. This is NOT odor/vapor, this is dust only.

OV: Organic Vapor, this is the important feature. This lets you know the filter is rated to pull out organic vapors, such as from resin/bondo/rondo.

AG: Acid Gas, not as important, since we're not dealing with acids.

At Home Depot, they have a OV/P100 filter, marketed as a "Household Multipurpose Respirator". The only difference between that and the "Professional Multipurpose Respirator" is the pro version is rated for Acid Gas (OV/AG/P100), well, that and the price.

Filters do have a useful life. Don't leave them in the shop with the fumes, don't go into the shop without one on when you're working with resin/bondo/rondo, and don't take it off until you are outside in the clean air. Leaving it in the shop with the fumes, allows the fumes to infiltrate the back side of the filter, where the filtered air comes out, and pretty much negates the purpose.

My son and I have our own respirators, they're marked so we don't get them mixed up, and he knows he's not allowed in the shop without it. I know it's overkill, but I would rather have brain cells that work. The son is 17, btw, and he's working on his own set of armor.

The package sports the same name as the first respirator from Home Depot you linked, so it might be the same one. Then again it might not be, because the filters look a little too slim to be those combination filters with the purple cap. Bottom line: No way to be sure from that picture.
The way those are packaged, the filters are sealed in bags behind the mask. They have paper blanks in the front to simulate the filter.

With regards to the filter ratings...
There will most likely be a letter/number combo, either N, P, or R, and 90, 95, 99, or 100.
N-Series filters are for dust ONLY that does not contain oil. They have a non-specific service life.
R-Series filters are resistant to oil and provide protection against both solid and liquid aerosol particulates that may contain oil. They are rated for an 8-hour service life.
P-Series filters are resistant to oil and provide protection against both solid and liquid aerosol particulates that may contain oil. They have a non-specific service life and can be used as long the mask is not damaged or breathing resistances is not detected.

The numbers are how much they filter out, percentage wise. P100 is a HEPA grade filter, and will filter out pretty much all the particulates. This is NOT odor/vapor, this is dust only.

OV: Organic Vapor, this is the important feature. This lets you know the filter is rated to pull out organic vapors, such as from resin/bondo/rondo.

AG: Acid Gas, not as important, since we're not dealing with acids.

At Home Depot, they have a OV/P100 filter, marketed as a "Household Multipurpose Respirator". The only difference between that and the "Professional Multipurpose Respirator" is the pro version is rated for Acid Gas (OV/AG/P100), well, that and the price.

Filters do have a useful life. Don't leave them in the shop with the fumes, don't go into the shop without one on when you're working with resin/bondo/rondo, and don't take it off until you are outside in the clean air. Leaving it in the shop with the fumes, allows the fumes to infiltrate the back side of the filter, where the filtered air comes out, and pretty much negates the purpose.

My son and I have our own respirators, they're marked so we don't get them mixed up, and he knows he's not allowed in the shop without it. I know it's overkill, but I would rather have brain cells that work. The son is 17, btw, and he's working on his own set of armor.

The way those are packaged, the filters are sealed in bags behind the mask. They have paper blanks in the front to simulate the filter.

Thanx for the VERY helpful information! :D

Progress for today: I fiberglassed the inside of the helmet about an hour ago. Gonna let it fully dry overnight then start applying Bondo.

Whats better to start of with, Rondo or Bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back