Rachciav's Boot And Odst Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I would hope that after selling a few thousand castings of your armour pieces it will have more than paid for itself ;) lol

when I see your clay shins I get hungry. They look like candy to me for some reason lol
keep it up! :D

very good job on the shins, its coming along nicely.

and a few THOUSAND copies? thats quite a lot, dont you think?

SPARTAN II said:
Well, I would hope that after selling a few thousand castings of your armour pieces it will have more than paid for itself ;) lol
ha ha yea id hope so too, i think id get a discount on supplies for buying silicone and plastic in bulk....

Enrisan said:
when I see your clay shins I get hungry. They look like candy to me for some reason lol
keep it up! :D
weird.....i take it as a compliment though. so thanks!

rvb4life said:
very good job on the shins, its coming along nicely.
and a few THOUSAND copies? thats quite a lot, dont you think?
thanks. and well i suppose i was exaggerating a bit...perhaps a few hundred would do....

Last edited by a moderator:
Roxas 56 said:
I like the marine chest piece.

why thank you :D

since its getting close to comic con (only 36 days) and i still havent decided what type of molding material to use. i dont know if i should go with latex because of the price, but im not sure if you can make a two part mold out of that. or if i should go with the more expensive silicone. also i dont know how much i will need to cover at least the shin. thats what im primarily worried about right now. it would be appreciated if some molders shared their knowledge. also how would i cast a shin? rotocast?

LastSpartan said:
Check this thread, it might be perfect for your needs :p

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry200100

i forgot i had read that a while ago. but it doesnt say how much silicone was used. and in not entirely convinced that rotocasting would work for it. i mean wouldnt it just go around unevenly and when you were rotating it, not cover every inch before curing...also how much plastic would i need. keeping in mind that this is smaller than most other sculpted shins.

Well yeah you'll have to buy extra silicon and if you need more, you just buy more.

If rotocasting and brush-silicon molding seems too complex for you, you could use Mold Max 40. It's pourable, and a bit cheaper.

The molding would be more complex since you would need a mold box. But you could brush a few layers of resin in each halves then, join them together and seal the seam with one layer of rotocasting.

LastSpartan said:
Well yeah you'll have to buy extra silicon and if you need more, you just buy more.

If rotocasting and brush-silicon molding seems too complex for you, you could use Mold Max 40. It's pourable, and a bit cheaper.

The molding would be more complex since you would need a mold box. But you could brush a few layers of resin in each halves then, join them together and seal the seam with one layer of rotocasting.

would i be able to get away with using the trial size silicone, or would i need more? and how would you rotocast with a box mold?
i was thinking about getting moldmax stroke, its a cheaper brushable silicone. any opinions?

so as of right now im thinking of getting two trial sizes of moldmax stroke, a gallon of smoothcast 300, silicone thickener, and plaster strips for the mothermold. does this sound like good materials?

heres the progress ive made over the past few days.

DSC03737.jpg

back

DSC03734.jpg

side

ill have a picture of the front up soon, the one i took has bad lighting.

That's lookin' pretty sleek there, girl! You've got all those details really standing out now; good job. I can't wait to see what other armour pieces you end up using this approach on. I'm impressed :)

SPARTAN II said:
That's lookin' pretty sleek there, girl! You've got all those details really standing out now; good job. I can't wait to see what other armour pieces you end up using this approach on. I'm impressed :)
thanks. i was thinking about what i was going to make next, once i have the money. i was thinking about the shoes, because the pep ones i have dont really stay on right, and make it difficult to walk.

Oops I think you misread me. When using mold max, you do not use a mother mold. The mold box act like one.

Looking great !

rachciav said:
thanks. i was thinking about what i was going to make next, once i have the money. i was thinking about the shoes, because the pep ones i have dont really stay on right, and make it difficult to walk.

Well, if you're seriously thinking about it Rach, I'd suggest checking out this thread. Might give you an idea on how you want to sculpt the boots. At the very least, it would give you some good motivation ;) heh

SPARTAN II said:
Well, if you're seriously thinking about it Rach, I'd suggest checking out this thread. Might give you an idea on how you want to sculpt the boots. At the very least, it would give you some good motivation ;) heh

yea ive actually been drooling over those sculpts for quite some time, it was much of my inspiration for the project. and i used it as a reference for a shin that was correct for the human body. since master chiefs armor pieces wouldnt actually work in some cases. but i believe he made those sculpts purposely a little different from the in game model because i noticed some differences, while im trying to keep the details as possible. not that i have anything against the "artistic license" to do what you want and make it your own, but i just wanted to challenge myself.

also does anyone think that plaster strips would be a bad idea for a mother mold? will this end in epic fail? tell me before i spend all my money on it.

quote: Oops I think you misread me. When using mold max, you do not use a mother mold. The mold box act like one.
Looking great !

wait even the brushable mold max is used in a box mold? or am i missing something? cause i know theres the pourable kind and brush kind.

alrighty so i finally got around to taking pics of the front, and since i made a bit of progress i figured id post pics of the side and back also. and i bought the molding supplies which ended up to be a gallon of moldmax stroke, a gallon of smoothcast 300, and some silicone thickener. i also bought a load bearing vest, though this has nothing to do with mold making, ill be using it to fix my shoulder and thigh strap problems. it was super cheap, and i got it with a gift certificate, so i figured hey why not. i just hope this all comes before comic con....anyway heres the pics

DSC03741.jpg

front

DSC03742.jpg

side

DSC03743.jpg

back

The "horseshoe" on the back of the leg shouldn't be so prominent.

Otherwise, its awesome, and better than anything I can do.

Tater Mane said:
The "horseshoe" on the back of the leg shouldn't be so prominent.

Otherwise, its awesome, and better than anything I can do.

thanks
and yea i noticed that too, but ive been too afraid to reduce it because im worried ill do it unevenly...but i guess its something ill have to do. keep the comments coming i dont want to mold this until its perfect!

This may sound weird, but take pictures from the front like perfectly from front and one from the side and compare it with the ingame by using semi-transparant layers in photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back