Rachciav's Boot And Odst Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
pooper said:
You can add some padding to make it snugged around your arm... what I did was used elbow pads to hold them up as well.

i tried experimenting with adding more padding and it still didnt work. adding more straps is my last resort. i also tried using lacrose pads but all they did was make me unable to move my arms at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i havent added any progress for a while because i ran out of clay :( and am waiting to see if ill get some for christmas. and ive been researching mold making in the time being. i didnt know if this http://www.dickblick.com/zz341/06/ would have enough materials to mold the shin and handplate. if not i wasnt sure if i should invest in alot of plastic, mother mold, silicone, etc. or just go with latex, which i wasnt sure if you could make 2 part molds for, or if it shrunk too much. i didnt find any answers (and yes i checked first, i literally went though every thread in the molded disscusion )

since comic-con is getting close (only like a month and a half) i will be making some progress on my BR. ill hopefully have it all cut out and start resining it this weekend.

Try the starting kit, and if you don't have enough, buy smaller bottles of rubber/silicon.

If you never tried that stuff, I would recommand the Brushable Kit, but both can be used.

Latex will shrink and can takes up to 2 weeks to make your mold since you will need about 20 layers and it takes hell of a long time to dry, trust me, I tried it.

If you want to limit the shrinkage of a latex mold, put it in a Ziploc sack and in the refridgerator.

Make sure your clay is sulphur-free or your silicon won't cure.

I'd recommand you also Rebound 25 instead than Oomoo. I don't know if you ever bought from DickBlick, but I did and it was the worst experience for me. Maybe because I'm across the border.

LastSpartan said:
Try the starting kit, and if you don't have enough, buy smaller bottles of rubber/silicon.

If you never tried that stuff, I would recommand the Brushable Kit, but both can be used.

Latex will shrink and can takes up to 2 weeks to make your mold since you will need about 20 layers and it takes hell of a long time to dry, trust me, I tried it.

If you want to limit the shrinkage of a latex mold, put it in a Ziploc sack and in the refridgerator.

Make sure your clay is sulphur-free or your silicon won't cure.

I'd recommand you also Rebound 25 instead than Oomoo. I don't know if you ever bought from DickBlick, but I did and it was the worst experience for me. Maybe because I'm across the border.

well id have to know before i started the mold if i needed more silicone....do you think that'd be enough for a shin and handplate?

i was going to go with the brushable which im pretty sure uses rebound.

im not sure if i have a big enough ziploc to fit the shin inside.....i was aware of the time it would take to make the mold from latex i think you can speed it up with hair dyers and such but can you even make a two part mold from it?

and i have never bought from them but it was the first site i found.

Well if I remember right, you live in NYC right? Go at the Compleat Sculptor in west soho. The link you gave is for a brushable starter kit of Oomoo 30. It'll do the job but I don't think it's a platinium-cure silicon which means it will shrink just a bit and won't last as long as a rebound 25 one.

For the 2 part mold of latex, I can't tell. Never tried.

You can put the shin's mold in a green bag and tie the bag :D

LastSpartan said:
Well if I remember right, you live in NYC right? Go at the Compleat Sculptor in west soho. The link you gave is for a brushable starter kit of Oomoo 30. It'll do the job but I don't think it's a platinium-cure silicon which means it will shrink just a bit and won't last as long as a rebound 25 one.

For the 2 part mold of latex, I can't tell. Never tried.

You can put the shin's mold in a green bag and tie the bag :D

well jersey actually but i visit NY regularly. i wasnt aware that the complete sculptor sold the kit. ill pic one up next time i go there. but i was pretty sure the brushable kit was for rebound i might be wrong though.

the two part latex mold should work, i was just worried that it wouldnt have as high viscosity as silicone and itd just run of the model as i applied it

true that.

Well call before to be sure they have some remaining. Also, talk with them, they helped me when I was there.

And their store is realllly messy. ^^

The latex I was using wasn't ruiny too much tho.

You could also do a quick scrap mold with plaster to be ready for your con and make silicon molds after when you're not in a rush. That's what I'd do.

LastSpartan said:
Well call before to be sure they have some remaining. Also, talk with them, they helped me when I was there.

And their store is realllly messy. ^^

The latex I was using wasn't ruiny too much tho.

You could also do a quick scrap mold with plaster to be ready for your con and make silicon molds after when you're not in a rush. That's what I'd do.

yea theyre helpful but their prices are a little higher than others, not that you would end up paying that in shipping anyway. and yea the store is pretty messy.

you think it would stay on a vertical surface?

i would do that, but i dont have the money to make new molds, unless i sold a few casts. but theyd be custom fit to me, and im kinda short and a girl....so i wouldnt fit many people.

Yeah again, you might ask some more professional people than me or use a "professional" latex. Mine was the cheapest at the Craft store. There might be a tickening agent also for latex.

You could suit up the whole female regiment! :p

LastSpartan said:
Yeah again, you might ask some more professional people than me or use a "professional" latex. Mine was the cheapest at the Craft store. There might be a tickening agent also for latex.

You could suit up the whole female regiment! :p

i appreciate your answers even if you aren't professional and i didnt know there was professional latex..i might consider that.... i read briefly about a thickening agent, but i cant remember if it was latex or silicone.

i was thinking about that but i thought all the girls already had armor...but im sure itd fit short guys.

The MC armour is AWSOME!!! Beautiful sculpting BTW, better than I could do.

Just one question, what file did you use for the MC chest? Im making a hayabusa perm and wanted to use this and mod it into hayabusausing the hayabusa chest perms and that file.

Sorry to semi-hijack you're thread, I just didnt feel like PM'ing you. Sorry.

Once again, keep up the GREAT work!

CHEERS!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
The MC armour is AWSOME!!! Beautiful sculpting BTW, better than I could do.

Just one question, what file did you use for the MC chest? Im making a hayabusa perm and wanted to use this and mod it into hayabusausing the hayabusa chest perms and that file.

Sorry to semi-hijack you're thread, I just didnt feel like PM'ing you. Sorry.

Once again, keep up the GREAT work!

CHEERS!

thanks! :D

i used the FS file, the newest one. and dont worry i dont mind questions. if you have anymore feel free to ask.

edit:

heres some pics of the BR. i just finished cutting and gluing it.

DSC03719.jpg

DSC03713.jpg

Thanks for the info.

GREAT work on the BR. Just a little rounding off of the handle, cheek rest, and for-grip and you just have to prime and paint!

Keep up the good work, take you're time, don't rush things. Make this armour the best it can be!

Once again, GREAT WORK!!!!

CHEERS!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Thanks for the info.

GREAT work on the BR. Just a little rounding off of the handle, cheek rest, and for-grip and you just have to prime and paint!

Keep up the good work, take you're time, don't rush things. Make this armour the best it can be!

Once again, GREAT WORK!!!!

CHEERS!

no problem.

thanks! i still have to take care of some rough edges on it, then im resin and bondoing it to make it smooth.

im hoping these new pieces will be way better than the old

Actually, just a tip, if those cardboard parts you put on are just templates, than just disregard this, but you should make them MUCH thicker. Use another layer of foam or whatever you used. Remember, at that part of the BR, its 5.4cm (or about 2 inches) thick. Its thicker than I ever thought, but it looks awsome in the end.

Once again, AWSOME work.

CHEERS!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Actually, just a tip, if those cardboard parts you put on are just templates, than just disregard this, but you should make them MUCH thicker. Use another layer of foam or whatever you used. Remember, at that part of the BR, its 5.4cm (or about 2 inches) thick. Its thicker than I ever thought, but it looks awsome in the end.

Once again, AWSOME work.

CHEERS!

really? those tiny details (the brown ones) are raised 2 inches? and yea the whole thing is a bunch of templates on top of eachother. its bevbors sliced model.

oooooh. yea its about 2 inches thick. i was going to add another layer but i thought itd be too big so i didnt. its also scaled down to my size so its alittle smaller than the real thing.

Ok, I have one more question about FS's MC chest. How tall are you, and what scale did you use? Did you use the default scale, or did you put in you're own?

CHEERS!

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Ok, I have one more question about FS's MC chest. How tall are you, and what scale did you use? Did you use the default scale, or did you put in you're own?

CHEERS!

im only 5' 2" i just figured how wide i was armpit to armpit, then added a few cms for padding. it came out pretty good. it was mostly guessing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back