Rakshasa Discussion

It's genuinely incredible how fast you came up with these designs! Would not mind checking them out if you were willing to share them as I'm switching gears to a Rakshasa build as well. I want to try pulling them right from the in-game builds and designing STLs for at least the helmet, but if I'm not successful then I'm definitely interested in seeing some of your templates. All I've got as of now is the render I finished tonight:
View attachment 320336
Things like the laser light and the tac knife obviously aren't in adherence with the in-game armor core, but then my choice in coating isn't exactly an option, either. I'm planning to start with the flightsuit layer and figure out how to add a couple inches of height with those slick metal spiked boots, and the gloves; after that I'll start figuring out the vest (maybe a padded line turtleneck or something? Unsure?) and the rest of the strapping. Like I said, I really want to 3D print the armor if at all possible, but even if I end up using foam then the helmet, for sure.
Thanks, I’m trying to rush it out for a con on the 17th, which has taken a bit if the fun out of it. Your design looks good. I’m definitely not sticking exactly to the game here. The whole point of Rakshasa is it’s long-term field gear that gets repaired and customised. So mine will have my own gear set up in my own way. I’m also doing a custom red paint job, but the paint I bought is much brighter than I wanted.

Main thing to admit is I’m taking the easy route with many shapes and details, to make this a more enjoyable build. I like to take a model into blender and greatly simplify it with a mind to making an easy foam pattern. Then I wing it from there. But I’m happy to share my mangled files if you need. I’m busy building the Lechuza helmet right now.

Lechuza progressing very fast. Started painting today.

Attachments

• 08B40D99-4024-463E-9AFE-52F002846A29.jpeg
    08B40D99-4024-463E-9AFE-52F002846A29.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
  • 63BE8846-1C2E-4D10-B7BD-25165D8792B3.jpeg
    63BE8846-1C2E-4D10-B7BD-25165D8792B3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 139
It seems like Rakshasa will be easier to store then other sets but the undersuit looks quite challenging after taking a closer look at it. The amount of custom fabric, sewing, and strapping is insane
If you hit up like an army surplus store you might use tactical clothes and dye them. Possibly?

I'm probably going to grab a Rothco flight suit or something and use that. I'll probably do some weathering a stuff to make it worn in, but I'm not going to go overboard.

small update, I’ve put a layer of colour on. I’m fed up with priming with stuff like plasti dip, the cost for one thing is insane. So I’m taking a risk and using Plaid FX cosplay paints directly on heat-sealed foam. It works, and I’m happy with this method in future. The paints are satin but on this first coat they’re a rough matte. Will see how that changes after 2 coats. I can recommend these so far also because of the great range of colours. About 4/5 of a bottle has done 1 layer on torso, thighs, calves and shoulders. Forearms, crotch and boots will probably be done in dark silver.

Attachments

• 4AC4BFB3-7B7A-4DF5-9A9E-48AE6B1075C8.jpeg
    4AC4BFB3-7B7A-4DF5-9A9E-48AE6B1075C8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 126
  • F7D6359C-5444-4133-915A-29870C8F1465.jpeg
    F7D6359C-5444-4133-915A-29870C8F1465.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 123
  • 763D1948-C98A-4484-A8A4-EB8D467567BC.jpeg
    763D1948-C98A-4484-A8A4-EB8D467567BC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
small update, I’ve put a layer of colour on. I’m fed up with priming with stuff like plasti dip, the cost for one thing is insane. So I’m taking a risk and using Plaid FX cosplay paints directly on heat-sealed foam. It works, and I’m happy with this method in future. The paints are satin but on this first coat they’re a rough matte. Will see how that changes after 2 coats. I can recommend these so far also because of the great range of colours. About 4/5 of a bottle has done 1 layer on torso, thighs, calves and shoulders. Forearms, crotch and boots will probably be done in dark silver.
Looking awesome man!

I don't have any exp with foam but interested in using it for some stuff. But can you not use just regular spray paint on heat sealed foam? SSGLordBert I know has done some awesome weathering on one our suits with spray paint. And I would definitely check out surplus stores for flight suits If you have a military base close you could also check thrift stores I've seen flight suits at them a few times. But rothco is always a solid choice for tactical gear. It holds up really well to abuse. Used to play airsoft ALOT and a lot of my clothing was rothco.

I don't have any exp with foam but interested in using it for some stuff. But can you not use just regular spray paint on heat sealed foam? SSGLordBert I know has done some awesome weathering on one our suits with spray paint. And I would definitely check out surplus stores for flight suits If you have a military base close you could also check thrift stores I've seen flight suits at them a few times. But rothco is always a solid choice for tactical gear. It holds up really well to abuse. Used to play airsoft ALOT and a lot of my clothing was rothco.
Regular spray paint on foam is bit of a minefield. It's useable if you're careful, but it cracks if the parts flex a lot, even if you spray lightly. I'm in the UK, so I don't know how brands match, but I've used Plastikote spray over a base of Plastidip or other brush-on rubberised cosplay paints, and it more or less works if it's treated with care. Foam does soak paint quite a bit, so a base of something like plastidip, flexipaint, or hexflex helps. Sometimes people successfully base the foam with watered down glue like modge podge, but I'm not experienced with this.

As for the undersuit, I've found some pretty good looking polyster trousers I can also use day-to-day, and I'm using a converted hoodie for the top (which I'll probably replace one day when I have the time and energy).

Regular spray paint on foam is bit of a minefield. It's useable if you're careful, but it cracks if the parts flex a lot, even if you spray lightly. I'm in the UK, so I don't know how brands match, but I've used Plastikote spray over a base of Plastidip or other brush-on rubberised cosplay paints, and it more or less works if it's treated with care. Foam does soak paint quite a bit, so a base of something like plastidip, flexipaint, or hexflex helps. Sometimes people successfully base the foam with watered down glue like modge podge, but I'm not experienced with this.

As for the undersuit, I've found some pretty good looking polyster trousers I can also use day-to-day, and I'm using a converted hoodie for the top (which I'll probably replace one day when I have the time and energy).
Yeah I'm not sure what brand difference there's is between US and UK. And that makes sense on spray painting the foam. Thanks for the info I'll have to keep all that in mind if I ever decide to do something with foam. Thank you.

Okay, so while I wait for community members to figure out some of the more complex parts of the armor for 3D files, I came up with the idea to use hardened PVC for the pieces of the armor that I can form from flats. I've worked with PVC and expanded foam before, but I want to attempt to make pieces like the forearms, chest, kidney plate and greaves with PVC. If anyone has a good idea for where I can find hardsheet PVC (like if you cut out and flattened a PVC pipe, not sintra which is too soft) then I'd be very appreciative. Maybe it's ridiculous, but I really want this armor to be tough and I don't want to use foam.

Okay, so while I wait for community members to figure out some of the more complex parts of the armor for 3D files, I came up with the idea to use hardened PVC for the pieces of the armor that I can form from flats. I've worked with PVC and expanded foam before, but I want to attempt to make pieces like the forearms, chest, kidney plate and greaves with PVC. If anyone has a good idea for where I can find hardsheet PVC (like if you cut out and flattened a PVC pipe, not sintra which is too soft) then I'd be very appreciative. Maybe it's ridiculous, but I really want this armor to be tough and I don't want to use foam.
I can’t help with pvc, but I read that some people have had good results using shoe glue to harden and strengthen foam if you end up using it. It might be a specific brand that’s required.

An overdue update - my Lechuza helmet was a bust so I’m starting it from scratch. The gilet has also stumped me temporarily. I’m busy painting now - here are most of the dark red pieces. The forearms, upper arms and feet will be bare metal; the helmet will be both colours. I’m thinking of having black trousers and gilet, and a grey top - I quite like that colour layout (attached mock-up).

Attachments

• 9BAF6C98-9AF6-424A-AD9E-7CBDB3D4444A.jpeg
    9BAF6C98-9AF6-424A-AD9E-7CBDB3D4444A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
  • BFBDB7C3-B942-4303-8EA8-1F95563D6E98.jpeg
    BFBDB7C3-B942-4303-8EA8-1F95563D6E98.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 148
This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back