• Light

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Heavy

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't have the supplies on hand to hydro dip what I actually wanted too (and I'm done buying temp supplies out of state), but I was able to test hydrodipping on a random item with other colors. Turns out, I think it went very well, and it was a lot of fun. I'm scared to get back home where I have many paints, and many small objects.

IMG_20190715_203203.jpg

I was also retried rag painting, and while I still wasn't able to get the exact look I was going for, I think I figured out why and decided that this is probably still a good base coat for a hydrodip to achieve stahlrim texture

IMG_20190715_203218.jpg

Paint that onto some armor (a little lighter) then gloss and hydro dip, should be cool.

Also, went to buy the boots for this build and realized I might already own then back home! That's always nice.

Last edited:
I experimented further with some paints I have on hand as far as attempting to make a marbled pattern... I think it went well! If people are interested I can make a youtube video on how to do this when I actually paint my armor rather than random canvas.
Process: rag paint -> clear coat -> hydro dip

Rag paint
IMG_20190716_151323.jpg

Clear Coat
IMG_20190716_165345.jpg

Hydro dip
IMG_20190716_170154.jpg

One key thing I learned about rag painting is to use two very different paint colors, not two different brightnesses/shades of the same color. That's how you keep if from looking super boring like the blue.

Because I was curious, and the armor is supposed to be blue here's two digital renders of what that would look like as blue

IMG_20190716_170154_blue.jpg

IMG_20190716_170154_blue_v2.jpg

I think the last one is my favorite out of all of them.

Last edited:
I've loaded them on 2 different devices. Probably you?
Nope. I use my phone almost exclusively for this site. My college class just ended and I turned on my phone, saw the bell, clicked your responce, and everything is fine... that paint job is amazing by the way! :lol:

It may be me but does the clearcoat for the rag paint draw out the black in the corner more? I think that looks really good, and it may also be me, but I think the darker colors of the hydro dip are too dark

Nope. I use my phone almost exclusively for this site. My college class just ended and I turned on my phone, saw the bell, clicked your responce, and everything is fine... that paint job is amazing by the way! :lol:

It may be me but does the clearcoat for the rag paint draw out the black in the corner more? I think that looks really good, and it may also be me, but I think the darker colors of the hydro dip are too dark
Yeah, I think the clear coat did bring it out a little. You may be right about the hydro colors, I'm honestly just experimenting with what's lying around. When I go to make the real one it would be white instead of black, but I'd have to make sure it's not too white like you say, hmmm.

Take this to the renaissance faire in Bristol when you're done! They have them saturdays until sept 2nd. This build makes me want to try my hand at a for honor Build though... Maybe once i'm done with the ODST.

Take this to the renaissance faire in Bristol when you're done! They have them saturdays until sept 2nd. This build makes me want to try my hand at a for honor Build though... Maybe once i'm done with the ODST.
Bristol... as in the UK??
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_4.png
Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_5.png
Screenshot_5.png

Am I missing something here?

Glad to see someone finds it interesting though :), the top half of the undersuit should be done by the end of the week. Then After HOD Chicago I can start the fun bit: foam smithing :-D

Nah, Bristol as in Bristol Wi. its the largest ren faire in wisconsin and it's right next to kenosha.
The Bristol Renaissance Faire - Home - Kenosha, WI
Nice dude, looking forward to some updates.
Oh dang! I had no idea, never even heard of the place xD. I'm not sure if my Stahlrim would be done in time, but I don't see any real reasons I couldn't take my Spartan if they've got storm troopers.
Did you plan on going this summer?

Oh dang! I had no idea, never even heard of the place xD. I'm not sure if my Stahlrim would be done in time, but I don't see any real reasons I couldn't take my Spartan if they've got storm troopers.
Did you plan on going this summer?
I don't think i'll have my ODST done in time sadly, probably will be close If I shot for that deadline. And good point I didn't even think about that.

I don't think i'll have my ODST done in time sadly, probably will be close If I shot for that deadline. And good point I didn't even think about that.
Well don't rush it for the sake of that :)

Oh man! Those tests turned out great! And your pants look good! Did your mom end sewing all the diamonds herself or did you find fabric for it?

Oh man! Those tests turned out great! And your pants look good! Did your mom end sewing all the diamonds herself or did you find fabric for it?
Thanks! We found a fabric for like $8/yd that had the look, but she's been sewing the diamonds on. It's definitely her favorite part, for sure, mhmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back