• Light

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Heavy

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally had the opportunity to test paint some real stahlrim texture, here's how the experiments turned out

Textured with wall-texture spray paint, painted with acrylics only
IMG_20190730_203149.jpg

Here's the same as above, but after being hydro dipped
IMG_20190730_222405.jpg

The left side of this one has no texturing done to it, and the right was hit with a dremel (this one's my favorite so far)
IMG_20190730_203139.jpg

Same as previous one, but after hydrodipping it
IMG_20190730_222359.jpg

There's a video here that should show the colorshift if I'm lucky

That Dremel one is looking great!
Thanks! That's the one I think I'm most excited about. I'm thinking if I just fine tune the painting a bit, and sculpt an actual structure in rather than the quick random carvings I did there, it'll turn out quite well! I'll probably experiment with that tomorrow. Maybe I'll try to make that rock above.

Last edited:
I think the dremel is the closest. I think it can be improved upon by using a round sanding stone on the dremel and not leaving any surface actually FLAT, and you're golden.

This is coming along great, man. Keep it up!

Are you going to put a HUD in this helmet as well??? ;P

I think the dremel is the closest. I think it can be improved upon by using a round sanding stone on the dremel and not leaving any surface actually FLAT, and you're golden.

This is coming along great, man. Keep it up!

Are you going to put a HUD in this helmet as well??? ;P
Thanks for the part recommendation, I'm definitely still learning what all the different bits are good for.

Thanks!

Lol, no, this helmet doesn't even have a visor xD. You silly

Tonight I'm going to try to recreate that reference Stahlrim rock as accurately as I can.

That looks good. If i might offer a critique? Where you've run the dremel, there are troughs. If you practice making the troughs disappear, it'll add to the effect.

That looks good. If i might offer a critique? Where you've run the dremel, there are troughs. If you practice making the troughs disappear, it'll add to the effect.
I'm not 100% certain what you mean about troughs, are you talking about how there appears to be a 'depth floor'?
Also, if anyone has ideas on how to tweak the color lighter beyond 'add white', I'm all ears.

Yes. The depth floor. Don't push the dremel all the way down so far. It'll take some experimenting because my words are broken, but you can due itt.
It sounds like you've been enjoying yourself tonight xD. But yeah, I'll give it a shot on Test #3, thanks for the suggestion :)

May I point out an observation? It's not so obvious in the refernce image but, in your tester it looks like your 'peaks' are too broad or wide. In the reference it looks like the peaks are more pointy/sharp.
Maybe with a rounded stone bit you could grind it down a bit to get those more narrow peaks.
20190802_122712.png

Another suggestion. You mentioned that it looks a little dark. Besides adding with paint to your colours, try using a fine tipped brush and use white paint along the ridges to create highlights. Or if that doesn't work try dry brushing the edges of the ridges with white like you would your Spartan armour when weathering.

May I point out an observation? It's not so obvious in the refernce image but, in your tester it looks like your 'peaks' are too broad or wide. In the reference it looks like the peaks are more pointy/sharp.
Maybe with a rounded stone bit you could grind it down a bit to get those more narrow peaks.
View attachment 275138
I think the best way of doing this is using a spherical bit the size of a golf ball and dragging it in some places and just touching down in others. It would even out the space and give the look aimed for if not pushed too far down, but I dont know if you can get a bit like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back