Rate My Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherm

Jr Member
Hey, this is my first topic and ive read the stickies so i dont think im doing anything wrong.( this is not a WIP thread)
Can you guys give me some pointers on pepakura
Im disappointed with how this turned out but it was my first one
[attachment=9355:pepakura_010.jpg]
the SMG has a movable stock too
[attachment=9353:pepakura_031.jpg]
plasma pistol 2nd prop i made. too big
[attachment=9351:pepakura_013.jpg]
I like how the skull turned out
[attachment=9352:pepakura_005.jpg]
My frag grenade with a removable pin
[attachment=9354:pepakura_016.jpg]
ENJOY!!!

Hey I'm pretty noob too but everything looks pretty great so far. It's very possible that the carbine warped towards the barrel tip because it is, at the end of the day, just cardstock. For your weapons in the future, you can always try a different approach. For example, I made bevbor's BR-55 Model but to make sure it didn't sag anywhere, I printed out doubles of some of the main body pieces, traced those onto cardboard and made a cardboard underbody. This pretty much makes the pepakura pieces you fold like veneers. Or if you're good at woodworking, you can make it out of wood, there are tons of possibilities. Keep up the good work!

screamingtofu said:
Everything looks awesome! the carbine looks a little bowed, but still cool. sorry don't have any pointers, I'm a noob.
Thanks, yeah the carbine was done at 3 am when i couldnt sleep...but yeah... :D
Thanks for the tips Jareyes, im horrible at woodworking though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tips on making you're pepakura not warp:

1. Make sure you fold the right lines properly.
2. Glue the flaps to the right place as accurately as possible
3. And I don't know if anyone uses thise, but I put school glue on a plastic platform and use a small wooden (or metal wire) stick to apply glue to the flaps, this will allow you to have the least amount of glue needed and that'll make it faster to dry and move on to the next step.

P.S. And great work on all the other peps, except the warpped Carbine hehe :D loving the machine gun there hehe

thanks for the tips centerside.
On the part below the barrel one of the tabs refused to be glued so from head on it's 30 degrees to the right, or left if youre holding it

what type of glue are you using? this may have caused the small bend in the carbine. other than that it looks great, keep up the good work

FalseKnightmare said:
what type of glue are you using? this may have caused the small bend in the carbine. other than that it looks great, keep up the good work
Hot glue... I believe i used large sticks and a really old glue gun.

great job over all. may be go a bit slower, and are you what Lb of cardstock are you using. i had trouble with some sagging when i used up the 60lb we had laying around.

JangoFett140 said:
may be go a bit slower, and are you what Lb of cardstock are you using. i had trouble with some sagging when i used up the 60lb we had laying around.
Sorry if im replying too much...
110 Lb, now that i think about it I do go really fast making these...whoops.

nah ur not replying to much just avoid double posting if possible unless you have a legit update is all.

Sherm said:
Thanks, yeah the carbine was done at 3 am when i couldnt sleep...but yeah... :D
Thanks for the tips Jareyes, im horrible at woodworking though.

Ok, that means some parts around that area wasn't glued on corretly, but you can fix it easy if you cut in the right parts and glue them back together ;)

P.S. IMO, you should use regular white glue, it less messy to work with than hot glue :D and if you're planning on using hot glue method on some other pep you have, it will re melt the old hot glue holding the peice together, and well..... you get it hehe :D

Yeah... I realized that after I made a couple helmets and was like: "OH TEH NOES!!" so i think ill just fiberglass them.
P.S. Heres my Hayabusa:
P.S.S. they suck
[attachment=9357:Copy_of_...kura_020.jpg]
[attachment=9358:Copy_of_...kura_022.jpg]
[attachment=9359:Copy_of_...kura_021.jpg]

Pointers on the helmets: Work symmetrically to stay symmetric. Try to start somewhere in the middle and work equally on either side.

Pointers on the carbine: Use a dowel rod or a piece of PVC on the inside running from the front of the barrel to as far back into the stock as you can go. Should help you keep it straight.

Other than that, pretty good work for lo-def parts! (excluding Hayabusa of course, good ballsy first attempt tho!)

pay attention to your folds. Attention to detail in this hobby is absolutely crucial.

There is a lot of sagging and warping in your work. This is going to look like ass once resined. Take your time and you'll produce quality work. If you can't take the time to do things right the first time, you certainly don't have time to redo your work.

I use hot glue for my pep and the only words of advice I can give you (considering you look like you've done more pep than me) is that I have found that less is WAAAY more when it comes to hot glue. I also try and get the bead I run down the tab as flat as possible, this then reduces seepage out of the joints which is evident on a few of your joins. I have also found that if you do get some seepage, rub your finger over it while it's still tacky (i.e. immediately) and you'll find it much easier to pull the extra glue off the model with nothing or at least not much left behind. If you can't get the glue flat on the tab, I find wiping little drops along the tab off the nozzle also works well rather than running a big fat bead right along.

I find hot glue is the best glue for my pep by far due to its instant drying time. This also sometimes leads to me rushing things too. Remember to take your time. If anyone in Australia knows of a glue that dries quickly like hot glue but is easier to work with I'd love to know. I've never seen this Elmer's glue people on here talk about.

Also here's a good thread on strengthening your weapon. Running a length of pvc pipe or dowel down the inside is a great idea. (I've been researching all this lately as I'm almost finished my pep AR and need to strengthen it.)

Blacroseimmortal's strengthening ideas for weapons

Thanks for the advice there guys and i just found my book with the hours ive put into each one:
Carbine- 7.5 hours
SMG- 8 hours (lots of improv)
Hayabusa: 18 hours over 3 days
Plasma pistol: 5 hours
EOD: 4 hours
Recon 9 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back