ItsRaven's wonderful build thread (if i decide to actually work on it again)

ItsRaven

I've just been lurking around the site for a little bit and I've been planning to make an ODST cosplay for a while now. I have stuff to make it and I have the time, but I can't actually decide how I want to go about this. This would be my first official cosplay (if I actually follow through lol) besides some random half done projects, and I just wanted to know your thoughts on what to start with. Also, I was debating between 3D printing my helmet and making it out of EVA foam. Any and all input is helpful.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Totally agree with SpartanSweed. Itried doing a foam odst helmet, one that had an I instructional video and..... let's just say it didn't look pretty (one on the right). I then printed a helmet in multiple pieces on my ender 3 v2. That was scary trying to get the right right size and figuring out how to scale it, then how to fill the gaps and pain it etc. Overall it came out much cleaner and more detailed then I could ever have done with foam. Do in my opinion it's pretty good going down the printing road. That said I'm currently trying to make a mkvi infinite helmet from foam.... best of luck to the both of us I guess XD.
20230603_090507.jpg
20230603_090451.jpg
20230603_090442.jpg
20230603_090419.jpg

Totally agree with SpartanSweed. Itried doing a foam odst helmet, one that had an I instructional video and..... let's just say it didn't look pretty (one on the right). I then printed a helmet in multiple pieces on my ender 3 v2. That was scary trying to get the right right size and figuring out how to scale it, then how to fill the gaps and pain it etc. Overall it came out much cleaner and more detailed then I could ever have done with foam. Do in my opinion it's pretty good going down the printing road. That said I'm currently trying to make a mkvi infinite helmet from foam.... best of luck to the both of us I guess XD.View attachment 341715View attachment 341716View attachment 341717View attachment 341718
I have an Ender 3 V3 so (if you dont mind and if you remember) knowing how you spliced it would be helpful. My print bed is a little smaller than the V2 but it would be helpful anyway.

May I direct you to this post that I made in another thread that mentions a lot of ODSTs on the forums and links to some build threads:
I'll check it out, thanks! Also, I have both the foam templates and 3d print files for everything I was planning on making. Would you personally recommend making most of the armor with EVA foam or printing it? (I've also never worked with foam before, but I have some ready for use if I decide to learn lol)

May I direct you to this post that I made in another thread that mentions a lot of ODSTs on the forums and links to some build threads:
Also, how heavy is your helmet? I know it's not ODST but you seem to have no trouble moving in it, which is completely contrast to my previous 3d printed helmets which are really heavy. Thanks.

It’s less than a kg, I’ll try to remember to weigh it for you later today

I’ve always preferred to make as much out of foam as possible for a few reasons:
-you will have a LOT more flexibility with foam armour than with printed
-foam armour bends instead of cracking, so if you do end up damaging it foam can be a lot easier to repair
-foam armour is lighter
-it allows you to make modifications and adjustments even after you’ve completed your armour. For example, I completed my shin armour and noticed it was the right diameter, but too short. Because it is foam I had no trouble just adding in an extra 5cm. If I had printed it, I would have had to remake it entirely.

Not to say that 3D printing doesn’t have its advantages. It will make very accurate parts. They can just be a bit fragile in my opinion. If I drop my foam gauntlets off the table and I’m to the ground that’s no trouble at all, but if my bump my helmet on a wall the paint can chip. I would say practice with the foam, make the pets that you for sure want to be foam, and then see what else you can make. If you like the way your 3D printer makes the pieces better, go with that. But if you’re able to make foam, I think you will enjoy wearing it a bit better.

Last edited:
It’s less than a kg, I’ll try to remember to weigh it for you later today

I’ve always preferred to make as much out of foam as possible for a few reasons:
-you will have a LOT more flexibility with foam armour than with printed
-foam armour bends instead of cracking, so if you do end up damaging it foam can be a lot easier to repair
-foam armour is lighter
-it allows you to make modifications and adjustments even after you’ve completed your armour. For example, I completed my shin armour and noticed it was the right diameter, but too short. Because it is foam I had no trouble just adding in an extra 5cm. If I had printed it, I would have had to remake it entirely.

Not to say that 3D printing doesn’t have its advantages. It will make very accurate parts. They can just be a bit fragile in my opinion. If I drop my foam gauntlets off the table and I’m to the ground that’s no trouble at all, but if my bump my helmet on a wall the paint can chip. I would say practice with the foam, make the pets that you for sure want to be foam, and then see what else you can make. If you like the way your 3D printer makes the pieces better, go with that. But if you’re able to make foam, I think you will enjoy wearing it a bit better.
Thanks man. I'm definitely 3d printing the helmet, but I think I'm going to try with foam for most armor pieces.

I've just been lurking around the site for a little bit and I've been planning to make an ODST cosplay for a while now. I have stuff to make it and I have the time, but I can't actually decide how I want to go about this. This would be my first official cosplay (if I actually follow through lol) besides some random half done projects, and I just wanted to know your thoughts on what to start with. Also, I was debating between 3D printing my helmet and making it out of EVA foam. Any and all input is helpful.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
A printed helmet will look a lot more clean, but the visors are the hard parts. It all depends on your budget man. Don’t think you can get the whole thing done in one weekend, been working on my own costume since October and it’s now starting to take shape and come together (thank you Pacific guys for the helping hand). Long but fun process.

A printed helmet will look a lot more clean, but the visors are the hard parts. It all depends on your budget man. Don’t think you can get the whole thing done in one weekend, been working on my own costume since October and it’s now starting to take shape and come together (thank you Pacific guys for the helping hand). Long but fun process.
yeah i tried to rush a mandalorian costume in like 2 weeks for halloween and got only the helmet finished (besides the visor) by the morning of the 31st lol. I'm shooting for this summer because I might go to san diego comic con with some friends but i dont have a strict timeline. Thanks for the tip.

I got the files off of thingiverse, one person made the helmet and another guy split it. So I downloaded both sets of files, scaled the full helmet to fit my head. Then copied the measurements over to the split helmet. I'll see if I can send the links to the helmet files later.

I can’t wait to start seeing some pictures of your build! Even if they’re WIP pictures it’s still super fun to see so we can all follow your progress and cheer you on!

Nice, I'd recommend u change your knife blades though. A sharp blade can make an incredible difference to your foamwork, I use snap off blades as their cheap and you just snap the blade to get a sharper point.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back