Reach: An Lt Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright! So its been forever, but I have a couple new things to report. First and foremost, Ithica has cleaned up one of the pulls I sent him and has it available in a charity auction. Please check it out in this thread. Its a bit of a shameless plug, but for all those who have been interested in the helmet in the past, this is a great chance to get it and at a very reasonable price. All of the proceeds go to the member in need, so please, Please, PLEASE go check it out. And in other news, started the reach thigh modeled by Rundown yesterday. I scaled to to 355mm, or 14 inches. Fits my thunder thighs perfectly! Got it pepped, resined and mudglassed. Will post pics for the nazis out there later this evening. Today is rondo, bondo and detail!

Well, got a bunch done. Rondoed the smooth areas, bondoed the flat areas, sanded and started the details. I will be using foam sheets to Build up a few areas and create a bit more detail, but that will either be later tonight or tomorrow. I spent enough time on it today, need to spend a couple hours with the fam! Watch out, its about to get pic heavy!!

Pep:

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

Resined and Mudglassed, ready for Rondo:

IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

Rondoed:

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

Bondo to smooth:

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

Finished the Bondo, primered:

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

I was surprised I got it this far so fast. I am just used to doing the helmets I guess, which take a ton of work. Here I thought it would take my whole vacation!! Hope yall enjoy!

Note: Just an aside, I had to build the supports from scratch. Didn't take much though. They helped a ton!!

wow that was quick looks like you might to fill that bottom hole though every thing is so smooth but your eye goes right to the hole

Once I get the foam sheets on, hardened and etc, I will be going over it once more. I am a huge stickler for smooth, so I will be doing a lot of spot checking, priming and wet sanding. She will be like glass when I am done!! Oh, and the whole is at the top, not the bottom :)

DAMN Brandon! You work fast!

She's a beaut. Can't wait to see where you take it.

EDIT:

Spartan 051 said:
take it will be molded an casted later on?

You're freakin' right it will be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nicktendo. As far as molding and casting, yes, this will be made available just like all of the other parts we have done. It will get molded sometime mid May, once I get in more Dragon skin. I will also be sculpting the insert for the inner thigh and cast that as well, so that the thighs will be complete.

bondo grease.

edit: ok i had my laugh, and dont want anyone going to the store asking for bondo grease. its painters tape, it doesnt really stick to anything, and is absolutely worthless as tape is concerned. BUT it doesnt really stick to anything, and nothing really sticks to it. great for edging paint, trapping rondo, and holding a piece of paper on the wall. anything heavier than paper and it drops off basically.

ArmouredApostle said:
bondo grease.

edit: ok i had my laugh, and dont want anyone going to the store asking for bondo grease. its painters tape, it doesnt really stick to anything, and is absolutely worthless as tape is concerned. BUT it doesnt really stick to anything, and nothing really sticks to it. great for edging paint, trapping rondo, and holding a piece of paper on the wall. anything heavier than paper and it drops off basically.

There's one to go up with Blinker Fluid.

Great work BTW.

Roadwarrior said:
There's one to go up with Blinker Fluid.

It's headlight fluid!

But speaking seriously, you really do need to put in a lot of elbow grease for a good project. ;)

It really does take a lot of elbow grease. Thank goodness for palm sanders. They save my life!!!!!!! That and professional gold grade bondo, so much smoother and easier to sand!!!!! So I did the foam sheet last night, then this morning I resined the piece that will stay on. You will see that the one that is flat has been resined, I used that for the detail rather than to create the barrier to bondo up to, its just easier. Around the inside of the thigh I used the foam to do the negative with the bondo. You will see what I mean in the pics. I got all the details done and got it primered. I may take a dremel to the two recesses yet, I will see when the primer is done. So I thought I would post up the pics while the primer cures. Check 'em out!

Foam sheet installed and resined

IMG_5653.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

Bondoed details:

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

Primered:

IMG_5657.jpg

I still have to sand the primer, which will smooth a lot of the little imperfections. Hope y'all enjoy!

This is looking really good. It's an inspiration to start my Jun build.

I've got to say, your painting skills are phenomenal. That helmet looks sweet and I can't wait to see the rest of this build!

Thanks for the compliments! I have been working with these mediums for a while, so I am fairly familiar with the ins and outs, although I learn new stuff every time I work with them. To see the rest of the Reach gear, check out the collaboration WIP in my signature. The only stuff I post in this thread is the stuff I take from pep to finish, there is other stuff we have done you might enjoy.

Great work bud! And really fast! I wish I could work a little faster on my helmet but I've been to distracted by other things.

Keep up the good work!!

Once again, thanks for all of the compliments! So I have a small update. I sanded down the filler primer, got it nice and smooth, so all of the little flaws are gone. I cleaned up the recessed areas with my dremel. There was one line that shallowed up a bunch, and it was driving me nuts, so I reamed that out a bit. Got it all nice and smooth all over, enough so that I was comfortable with the result (I am a bit of a perfectionist) and then gave it a nice shot of black. I also took a pick with it on my thigh so you could see the scale, although I probably should have worn something other than basketball shorts and my McLovin tshirt so you could actually get a better idea of how it fits. I will take better pics for scale once I have finished painting it, which will happen tomorrow. So for now, here you go!

Outside

IMG_5658.jpg

3/4 with the line that I cleaned up

IMG_5659.jpg

Front

IMG_5660.jpg

Inside

IMG_5661.jpg

Me trying it on. It has plenty of room around the knee, which is great when you have thunder thighs like me.

IMG_5662.jpg

Back

IMG_5663.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back