Reach: An Lt Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be doing the other thigh first, and then the shoulders. This thread in particular is just for the work that I do from start to finish. If you want to see the rest of what we have going on, check out the Noble Team Collaboration WIP, you will see a lot of other stuff going on. I have a pretty busy next term at university, so progress will slow a bunch till the end of June, but come summer time we have some really cool projects planned!!

Okay, so I know its a bit of a double post, but I have a fairly good sized update! So I was looking and the new screen shots and noticed a few detail lines on the back (reference pics for the back were a bit scarce and fuzzy, so the new ones are nice!) so I used some double sided tape to mask off the areas. You can see one laid out in the pics. There is that one and where the wide piece on the back goes skinny on the inside thigh. I used a jigsaw blade to cut them out. I love this method, it gives you laser straight and consistent lines with no hassle, took me all of two minutes to do and it really breaks up that big smooth area. I was thinking it looked a little plain, so this is great! I also got it painted in the dark gray, masked off the areas I wanted to keep and then shot it with a silver metallic, same colors I have used on the rest of the build I will let them cure for a couple areas then hit it with the black wash. The dry brush will have to wait till I am back in Utah. So here you go, pics!!

Hit it with the charcoal early this morning:

IMG_5664.jpg

Masked off the lines:

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

The detail lines:

IMG_5667.jpg

IMG_5668.jpg

Masked the charcoal areas:

IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

Basic paint is done!!!!

IMG_5671.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

So thats it for this weekend. Now I am packing it up and getting it ready to send back to Utah so I can mold it then dry brush. I will go over it will 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth the paint finish before I mold it. Enjoy!!!!

The gold grade bondo is only like $9 for a quart at Walmart, vs like $8 for the regular. The extra dollar will be the best investment you make in building your armor. I still use the regular bondo when I mud glass cuz I buy it by the gallon. I use the gold grade on the outside where I will be doing the most sanding. Seriously, once you use it you won't ever go back. It spreads way smoother and sanding is just a dream!

I actually used foam sheet. Looks just like what Alexspartan177 posted, just an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. I got a pack of them at Walmart in the same aisle as the markers and stuff kinda in the craft department.

Brandon McClain said:
I actually used foam sheet. Looks just like what Alexspartan177 posted, just an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. I got a pack of them at Walmart in the same aisle as the markers and stuff kinda in the craft department.

Yeah just buy the foam sheets it's way cheaper than the foamies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thigh is my unfold of the Rundown model of the MKV( :cool. It is available in the first post of the Reach Collaboration Wip, along with all of my other unfolds of various Reach related items. Small update. I was up late last night, couldn't sleep and got to thinking about the reference pics I had seen for the thigh, and something started to bother me, and I pulled up the pics. Sure enough, the area between the front and outside of the thigh is smoothed. The cut line is still there, but rather than being flat with sharp edges like I have it, it is a smooth transition with separate radii (two different radius curves). So its too late to fix it while in Texas, but I will be tweaking it once I get back to Utah. I figure its better to get it right before I mold it rather than to rebuild it later. So tack on another 8 or 9 hours of work between bondo, sanding, smoothing, priming, sanding, painting etc. But at least it will be accurate!!

Edit: Here is the pic I that was bugging me

Reach_MPBeta_PowerhouseAerial.jpg

Okay, so I reworked the the curves on the thigh. It took forever. It was a serious pain. But I got it done! Also got the mold done and the first pull out in Flex Foam. Here are a couple pics:

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

Do you think you'll have a full suit done just before the Midnight release of REACH? If you are thats just pure awesomeness

In answer to a couple questions. The full suit is slated to be done by the end of July, and should be all molded by mid August, so you may see a pre-release run so that Kasper and I won't be the only Spartan IIIs at the release. The thighs should be available by the end of June, if not earlier. Boots have made it out of the transition mold and are on their way to Utah for cleanup and final cast, so look for those in the next couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back