Reach Build 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got stood up by a friend today, so I had extra time to work. I decided to just keep going on all the pieces and revisit them later once im getting everything prepped for the straps. I realized yesterday that my deadline is a lot closer than I thought and had a moment of: “Oh...OHHHHHHHH NO” Suit 2.0 was made in 2 and 1/2 months and I have a little less than 3 months till Pax South. If it wasn’t for work I would say it’s possible but I genuinely believe this is gonna be quite the squeeze...Panic aside...This is the progress I have so far on the left thigh.
8200C34C-BA52-4076-A28F-1B5A993C0A72.jpeg

2B621A35-2E12-4456-827D-13976A4E9D3D.jpeg

408467A9-F2D5-4D89-887D-7305DF8C40A5.jpeg

Focused on the thicker pieces and hope to get to the thinner pieces during the week if work isn’t too draining. I really appreciate the encouragement whenever I feel down or stuck seeing others work or even previous comments is a morale booster. :D

Focused on the thicker pieces and hope to get to the thinner pieces during the week if work isn’t too draining. I really appreciate the encouragement whenever I feel down or stuck seeing others work or even previous comments is a morale booster. :D
Welcome to the 405th, where the toxicity of the cosplay community disappears and we all just make big goofy spaceman armour.

For the inner thigh detailing are you using fabric attached to the rest of the armour or part of the undersuit?

Welcome to the 405th, where the toxicity of the cosplay community disappears and we all just make big goofy spaceman armour.

For the inner thigh detailing are you using fabric attached to the rest of the armour or part of the undersuit?

I was going to use a thinner foam for those pieces and attach it to the armor. I was warned to not use anything less than 3mm because it can tear. But I might need to find something to buffer the inner thighs since I rubbed almost all the paint off suit 2.0’s thighs.
Under suit is a monster I want to tackle after the event, I’ve already got a lot on my plate with just figuring out painting, and the helmet.

[Pic heavy update]

Lack of sleep, work stress and getting a nasty cold this past week really held me back but I finally finished one thigh. Had to add about 3 inches or more to the inner thigh pieces but I now have adjustment templates for the right thigh piece.
B374054A-9FC6-4FC9-B627-181AEC4453C2.jpeg

A24A9717-9AD7-4A6F-9DC2-07A2EFB2BBAF.jpeg

40F2BA62-12AE-438F-BF14-9C2AB9F33FBE.jpeg

0E6E71AD-DDCC-4EC4-BF92-9E0E64D1BDDF.jpeg

1AE15058-B2B2-4BC8-864B-CFA96D54B6F7.jpeg

The glue looks ugly but I don’t want this to fall apart while wearing it. Test fit is good so far left a bit of room to let me (hopefully) sit and move around comfortably.
1FC60BDD-1DDE-47A7-AAEB-E2FB50506980.jpeg

F8C6BC9C-26C9-4263-AD96-54C3C3C7D27E.jpeg

EB4E4D52-315D-4825-BE55-1CDEAB9D4189.jpeg

I wonder what the cat is thinking about? "Does foam make a good scratching post?"

Great job so far. You do need to clean up the glue marks a bit. but otherwise its coming along nicely. Looking forward to a full suit up.

I wonder what the cat is thinking about? "Does foam make a good scratching post?"

Great job so far. You do need to clean up the glue marks a bit. but otherwise its coming along nicely. Looking forward to a full suit up.

Haha! He got a new cone made last night since the bandage is now off. He doesn’t tear through the foam like he did with the card stock I was using originally. But he is also a very good boy ;~; despite the whole ordeal.

Once everything is done being built I will revisit all the pieces to clean them up a bit. The glue marks, while messy, give me some peace of mind. Suit 2.0 had so many gaps in the armor that I’m honestly amazed it held together for as long as it did.

My tip for gaps and messy glue marks: Contact cement for the seams w/ hot glue backing on the inside for reinforcement and relief cuts will take care of the mess. For gaps, a metal ruler while cutting. It will give you the straightest cuts possible making gaps as minimal as can be. I used hot glue on my Centurion and an ODSK for my daughter but switched to contact cement for my other daughter's Tenya Iida suit and so far the gaps are virtually nil. Also, sanding down contact cement is easier than trying to sand down hot glue especially if you are using a Dremel which melt down and get stuck on the sander. Remember this isn't the end all be all of methods.....it's your build and you can build it however you want. Just offering my advice.

P.S. never stop dabbing!!!

IMG_5929.jpg.jpeg

Adding to the suggestion Dirtdives has, if you do have excess hot glue exposed at the seams you can warm it up slightly and trim away the excess or smooth it out using the tip of a glue gun. For gaps though check out Foam Clay or Foam Putty for a sculptable foam material that you can use to hide some crimes.

Also, more dabs.
1573230043336.png

Any and all advice is always appreciated! I’ve seen contact cement being used by others and want to give it a shot with future builds (I’m determined to not let this be my last build!).
I haven’t heard anyone mention using hot glue to reinforce the inside of the seam after using contact cement, so I’m really liking this combination. I have been revisiting some seams as I work and re-heating excess glue to wipe off with a butter knife or smooth out. I’m working with what I have since I’m technically jobless and have to be a lil mindful of spending again.

(P.S. I have so many more silly things I plan to do and dabbing will continue to be one)

(P.S. I have so many more silly things I plan to do and dabbing will continue to be one)
That's all we ever wanted to hear!

Nice! Great progress so far :D
What part are you working on next?

Continuing with the shins since I need to start fitting everything with the clothing I have. I started looking at the two files I have for the shins and am going to try the female files first. I did still print out the male files for the shins since they have the details for the knees. Already traced out the bigger pieces onto the foam mats and started cutting out the pieces.

That's all we ever wanted to hear!

I saw this maybe a week back and had a good laugh, it’s great! I have other shenanigans planned some are a surprise. Another is from a joke long ago that I rediscovered and started finishing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back