Red Ring Of Death Court Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of Course they know about it...

Why would they bother adding Red LED's To the Ring of light?

Thought it would have been obvious. Anyway nice find man (y)

I personally think, while they did know the RRoD could occur, they didn't expect it to happen as much as it has, and added the red LEDs as a way to let you know if you did get it. Game consoles are nothing but computers, and computers break, that's why there are technicians that fix them.

That's why I cannot wait to finish high school, I'll be one of those technicians that get to fix stupid issues with computers and make stupid money with it. :D

The red lights also come on when you don't have your AV cables plugged into the TV and Xbox, so its not just solely for the ring of death.

AnAnonymousTree said:
The red lights also come on when you don't have your AV cables plugged into the TV and Xbox, so its not just solely for the ring of death.

that gave me a scare the other day lol

Last edited by a moderator:
marioknight92 said:
that gave me a scare the other day lol
Ya, I freaked out the first time it happened to me too, I was a lan party and thought my console quit on me

Different numbers and combinations of lights mean different things. I believe that all 4 red lights= AV unplugged. I get it all the time whenever I move my xbox and don`t plug it in. 3 lights is general hardware failure or the RROD.

The Red Ring of Death

I`ve had an RROD and I have to say, while it was annoying, the xbox canada guys sent me a box and from phone call to new xbox was 2 weeks. Unfortunately I got it while playing Halo 3 on the launch day.

droodles said:
Different numbers and combinations of lights mean different things. I believe that all 4 red lights= AV unplugged. I get it all the time whenever I move my xbox and don`t plug it in. 3 lights is general hardware failure or the RROD.

The Red Ring of Death

I`ve had an RROD and I have to say, while it was annoying, the xbox canada guys sent me a box and from phone call to new xbox was 2 weeks. Unfortunately I got it while playing Halo 3 on the launch day.

This is how I fixed the "Unplayable Disc Error" :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nab5N37IWlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi0DJJobUb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKaVWENSoYo (Slight profanity in this video, compliments to my jackass of a brother)

Best regards,
Mike

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
I personally think, while they did know the RRoD could occur, they didn't expect it to happen as much as it has, and added the red LEDs as a way to let you know if you did get it. Game consoles are nothing but computers, and computers break, that's why there are technicians that fix them.

That's why I cannot wait to finish high school, I'll be one of those technicians that get to fix stupid issues with computers and make stupid money with it. :D
Too right, but with PC components, I expect them to work at least 3 years (i have a pc, it runs 8 hours every day for the last 5 years, and it's still going) when used properly. The XBox seems to die whenever, which is definitely a design fault.

Think about this: A laptop manufacturer would have had to offer to replace all laptops, because for business people such high failure rates a unacceptable. So why should normal consumers settle for less, just because it's a console?

I think Microsoft should be forced to replace every 360 with a 361, which legally has to have less than 5% failure rate in the first 3 years. Just to teach them not to release $**t.

Incidentally, I currently make most of my income from fixing pcs (but then again it's mostly stupid users who mess up software, not a hardware issue).

TF_Productions said:
Too right, but with PC components, I expect them to work at least 3 years (i have a pc, it runs 8 hours every day for the last 5 years, and it's still going) when used properly. The XBox seems to die whenever, which is definitely a design fault.

Think about this: A laptop manufacturer would have had to offer to replace all laptops, because for business people such high failure rates a unacceptable. So why should normal consumers settle for less, just because it's a console?

I think Microsoft should be forced to replace every 360 with a 361, which legally has to have less than 5% failure rate in the first 3 years. Just to teach them not to release $**t.

Incidentally, I currently make most of my income from fixing pcs (but then again it's mostly stupid users who mess up software, not a hardware issue).

Definitely, like you said we shouldn't settle for less than what we get for our PCs. When I stood in line on launch day I expected a quality product from microsoft. While I won't fault it for all the enjoyment it has provided me, this is a major design flaw and they probably should have recalled it in the first place and sent out a new version once they had it fixed. An upgrade to the 361 would be great but unlikely. It would cost them way to much. They know that most people who own a 360 have enough money invested in it that they will just buy another one.

Seriously?! Give all the profit made by using the console, away?
This profit money would just go to your f***ing goverment and the customers wouldnt get anything back.
(if it happened here, i would kill our president)

-FSS

TF_Productions said:

Ha! I've got a compaq evolution running almost 24/7 since 2001 and no problems save for more 2gig of ram and a nvidia quadro card! I've also got some silicon graphics machines that are 15-20 years old and never had a problem with any of them, not a pc, but still. If I buy something I intend for it to last a good long time. It should be long obsolete and a collectible before you should worry about it breaking. Just a trick to know which brands are using quality components, and the ones which use a critical component that is half a cent cheaper because "who cares if it only lasts 5 years, we have a 2 year warranty and that's how long it has to last".

I've got a sega genesis, playstation, ps2, and ps3. Never had a problem with any of them! Must be luck... Never tried the xbox but a buddy's died within a few days and he took it back and got a new one (couldn't sway him to get the playstation, unfortunately)

Just got my 360 back from service. Took about 10 days total once UPS picked it up. The hard part was getting the UPS return sticker. The call center is trying to turn over calls at such a high rate that they made a bunch of mistakes in my info. So if you have reason to call them make sure they repeat back EVERYTHING.

Juan3000 said:
Just got my 360 back from service. Took about 10 days total once UPS picked it up. The hard part was getting the UPS return sticker. The call center is trying to turn over calls at such a high rate that they made a bunch of mistakes in my info. So if you have reason to call them make sure they repeat back EVERYTHING.
Yeah, i bet the UPS stocks went up by like 20% when the first 360 got RROD xD

-FSS

sybrfreq said:
Ha! I've got a compaq evolution running almost 24/7 since 2001 and no problems save for more 2gig of ram and a nvidia quadro card! I've also got some silicon graphics machines that are 15-20 years old and never had a problem with any of them, not a pc, but still. If I buy something I intend for it to last a good long time. It should be long obsolete and a collectible before you should worry about it breaking. Just a trick to know which brands are using quality components, and the ones which use a critical component that is half a cent cheaper because "who cares if it only lasts 5 years, we have a 2 year warranty and that's how long it has to last".
Exactly my point. Except 20y old is just too... old. You know? I'm 20, and I do have old floppy discs lying around and tapes on shelves, but you can't do much with them, it's just the nostalgic factor. But hey, at least they do still work.

And i just can't risk using hdd older than 5 years, apart from that, they're too expensive to replace, slow and small.

Sry for going so far OT ;)

I'm running Windows 95 - it can barely hold its weight against Mozilla Firefox, let alone all of these fancy, schmancy design programs and graphics cards.

Still, saving up is going to be getting me a home-built rig - plus terabyte hard drive. And I quote a friend: "terabyte? f***win".

TF_Productions said:
Exactly my point. Except 20y old is just too... old. You know? I'm 20, and I do have old floppy discs lying around and tapes on shelves, but you can't do much with them, it's just the nostalgic factor. But hey, at least they do still work.

And i just can't risk using hdd older than 5 years, apart from that, they're too expensive to replace, slow and small.

Sry for going so far OT ;)

20yo might be too obsolete for a pc, but what about a television, game console (like a nes), stereo, etc? That stuff doesn't get obsolete. Maybe I exaggerated a bit when I said 20 years, more like 12 or 15, but it proves the point that it is possible to make stuff not crap.

Stay away from ide/sata consumer disks... they tend to conk out for no particular reason. I prefer scsi though it's been obsoleted by fiber channel and sas. I have a pair of 36g, 15000 rpm disks in raid0 that came with my pc, I see no reason to upgrade them. Of course, I do keep backups on an external seagate. I don't expect a hard disk to last forever.

With regard to the RROD, it was an oversight on the manufacturer's part, plain and simple. The hardware used lead free solder, lousy idea for anything especially if you don't begin the design with it's shortcomings in mind, and microsoft designed their own graphics chip. I find it humorous that 3rd party clip on fans draw too much power and void the warranty; according to wikipedia, some melt the console or power supply. The power spec for usb is 1/2A, a fan draws much less than that, right?

A damn shame considering the 1st gen xbox was built like a tank.

Never mind it uses hd-dvd. My grandpa got a hd-dvd too (in late 2007, too). It'll be useful some day, to somebody, so I told him to hold onto it, but he was quite upset that it got dumped. Couldn't see it coming, couldn't figure out why they were so heavily discounted.

It's a cut throat business, both the game console and PC video card. They are selling supercomputers for a price not much more than a week's worth of groceries, and every new product must compete on day one and be faster and cheaper or you will be out of business. Matrox, s3, diamond, etc, all made great products but at one point another company had a product just a bit faster and a bit cheaper and bye-bye they went. Though one good thing about the two-party system we have now is very good drivers and software support. Likewise, sega, atari, amiga, all made really good systems but at some point, somebody made something a bit better and those companies ceased to exist but as a shell to maintain the trademark.

Microsoft and Sony have the luxury of only selling game consoles on the side, if a xbox or playstation flops in the market at least it won't ruin the company. The wii is selling like hotcakes even though it has the processing power of a paper clip. Nintendo got it right this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back