Requesting - foam building sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manix

I plan on doing a bit of foam work in the near future and have far to many questions and so far I have found some answers scattered in various places across the forum. For that reason I would like to request a Foam building sticky thread.

If a similar thread exists please PM me and then remove this thread.

Similarly if one gets made please PM me and delete this thread.

Many, many thanks

Manix

This is a brilliant idea. In the past Ive had questions about foam building myself, but there really isnt a place specifically for it. The closest we have is the soft armor section of the creation disscussion, but that area doesnt get much traffic as far as I can tell. We have a noob forum sticky for just about everything else, so why not make one? I know Id sure frequent it, if that counts for anything.

When I actually find time I will be doing videos on all of the techniques I have learned/taught myself over the last year. If my boss lets me I hope to book a week off next week to get all the things I need done, done. The videos are top of the list. Hopefully if they do their job then they should be sticky worthy as I too couldn't find enough out there in one place to save all the trial and error I had to go through.

When I actually find time I will be doing videos on all of the techniques I have learned/taught myself over the last year. If my boss lets me I hope to book a week off next week to get all the things I need done, done. The videos are top of the list. Hopefully if they do their job then they should be sticky worthy as I too couldn't find enough out there in one place to save all the trial and error I had to go through.

videos from you would be super helpful! I hope that you find the time to do this.

If a sticky thread is made, I'll contribute my knowledge to it. I also think that Foam Builds should have their own sub-forum now. Enough foam builds are out there for us all to have our own section now.

@ Annanymous.

I have booked a week off starting on the 29th so they will be here soon. I did start a vid but didn't talk as people were in the house and couldn't do it with them around. I would put it up but people aren't going to learn from it really so when I do the real vids I will be explaining every sat thing I can :)

@ RoxyRoo.

I totally agree with you they should make a foam sub-forum as there are some amazing peices of work out there, yours included. Then if people are looking at foam builds they don't need to search around as much.
Also I would love to have a vid on how you and LilTyrant do your craft foam work. I know how you do it but would be better if the experts explain it.

I did start a vid but didn't talk as people were in the house and couldn't do it with them around. I would put it up but people aren't going to learn from it really so when I do the real vids I will be explaining every sat thing I can :)

I'd say put it up anyway! I'm sure it'd still be good for something... ;)

Also I would love to have a vid on how you and LilTyrant do your craft foam work. I know how you do it but would be better if the experts explain it.

Seconded! I've tried to guess how to get a full 10mm piece coated with craft foam so nicely but haven't got too many ideas so far...

A sticky or a subforum sounds like a great idea. I'd love to contribute, but I also have no idea what people would actually want to hear from me.

i havnt really worked with foam so i cant really contribute but having a sticky for foam templates would help out so much.

it can be a real pain looking for all the templates and pep files

Speaking of templates, throughout my builds I've been altering the pep files I've been working with to make them more foam friendly. I have no idea where to post them up and the proper credit-giving mechanisms.

So which mod/admin do we have to bribe to get this rolling then?

I will take all the bribes. Errr I mean, I can get something going on this...

I'm currently kind of working on getting the Stickies under control, but there is definitely a need at least for one thread to collect all the useful threads.

I'm not really sure if a whole new subforum would be in order or if the current Pep/ Cardboard forum could be renamed to incorporate foam projects. Not a whole lot of cardboard builds happening to begin with, and even less now with foam builds so prevalent.

For now if people just want to link to the most useful foam threads, I can add those to whatever I have my eyes on. Just throw the links in this thread.

Hopefully my contribution to the video archives will be of some use. I have just booked a week off from work tonight so my tutorials are goin to happen....finally :)
If I manage to produce some thing worthy of a sticky then it would make me happy knowing that I have contributed to teaching those wanting to attempt the foam route.

Stay posted as my break starts on the 4th.
Tom.

A sticky or a subforum sounds like a great idea. I'd love to contribute, but I also have no idea what people would actually want to hear from me.

First off i have to say. Everything. From how to pick your foam through to working with it and how to do it properly. How to paint. Everything please. I myself am keen to try foam armour but have only a grasp pf the concept. A subforum in the creative thread and possibly the noob forum would be great. Its quite overdue. And itd make researching so much easier with the right information in one place

Thanks Ruze, even a list of good threads is gonna be of massive help.

As above headings such as below should be addressed:

Picking your foam:

-Thickness
-Density
-...type
-Where from and how much to expect to pay
-How much you are likely to need

Templates:
-where to find them
-how to modify pep files to best work with foam
-cutting best practise

Building:
-Cutting and shaping/Curving
-Gluing
-filling
-Adding detail
-Repairing mistakes

Post Build:
-Smoothing
-Treating
-Coating
-Painting

Im sure there are more.

Well I have a tutorial (find in signature) and Drack does. So those could be used as a beginning for a sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back