Resin And Enthusiasm Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessep

hey y'all i have finished my gears of war armor the boots,
and i was wondering if someone (or all of u) could give me some tips for fiber glassing
i also need help getting back into pepakura part of the armor making,
i have two pep's in progress and im having trouble just getting into putting together

anyway my pep'd boots are on youtube, just look up MiaB3 fenix greaves

thx (y)

edit: PLZ REPLY

jppompers said:
hey y'all i have finished my gears of war armor the boots,
and i was wondering if someone (or all of u) could give me some tips for fiber glassing
i also need help getting back into pepakura part of the armor making,
i have two pep's in progress and im having trouble just getting into putting together

anyway my pep'd boots are on youtube, just look up MiaB3 fenix greaves

thx (y)

edit: PLZ REPLY

Welcome to the forums,

I fibreglassed yesterday - it's not a nice job!

I think a good thing to remember is to always put a few coats of resin on the outside, and the fibreglass on the inside - a few people put the fibreglass on the outside and it makes it more tricky to sand.

Next, always read the instructions on the box - if you mix too much hardener with the resin, you get that horrible schmootzy jelly stuff in minutes and you won't be able to apply it.

ALWAYS use safety equipment - gloves, respirators and NEVER fibreglass inside the house, unless you want to smell like resin for the next six months!

There's always the resin and fibreglassing sticky if you get stuck:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2287

Hope this helps! :]

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have proper equipment (the correct kind of respirators) and ample ventilation. Also, when fiberglassing with mats or cloths, do it with small pieces. It decreases the chance of air pockets and gives a cleaner finish.

(y)

air pockets are baaaaad,

also, work at your own pace, if the resin starts to harden before you have used it all, dont rush and do a sloppy job, just keep going, if you are starting to see it set up or if it starts putting off heat and looking like jelly your prolly not going to be able to use it all fast enough

another good thing to do is to use the lid you get off of the resin container, especially if you buy the $10 container at walmart, just line that lid with foil and it makes an awesome container for the resin, then when it sets up, just pull out the foil, throw away the foil, re-line the lid, and remix

dont worry bout trying to get the resin/hardener ratio right the first time just read the instructions and go for it, you will prolly scrap a couple batches when you first start....i know i did :whistle:

make sure you mix the resin and hardener extremely well, stir for atleast 30 seconds, even longer if ya think you need to

finally, i cant stress this enough, GLOVES!! lol, the first time i when to fiberglass i forgot gloves, a hour later, i had grass, bugs, and fiberglass mat resined to both my hands, the only way to get it off was to wash my hands in acetone (not fun) and even then my hands still smelled like acetone mixed with resin

if you have any doubts, go check on what ever you are questionable about before ya start, its better to be over-prepared than it is to be under-prepared ( lol thats the eagle scout in me ;) )

hope this helps ya some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back