Resin papercraft helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDashIVXx

Sr Member
So I know the basics from watching videos on the subject. I understand that you glue paper templates together and then cover it in a resin base, and fiberglass it, use Bondi, then lots of sanding, but does anyone have a really good thread or video for me to watch on how to do it? I was going to make an EOD helmet, and try out this technique, but now that destiny has released some more papercraft templates for festival of the lost, I think I would like to do that instead. Amy tips and obscure methods would be very much appreciated. (May wait until November/thanksgiving break to work on this.)

So I know the basics from watching videos on the subject. I understand that you glue paper templates together and then cover it in a resin base, and fiberglass it, use Bondi, then lots of sanding, but does anyone have a really good thread or video for me to watch on how to do it? I was going to make an EOD helmet, and try out this technique, but now that destiny has released some more papercraft templates for festival of the lost, I think I would like to do that instead. Amy tips and obscure methods would be very much appreciated. (May wait until November/thanksgiving break to work on this.)

Sha-shaa! The Pepakura Sticky Index.

If you have any questions about building a pepakura anything, there's likely a thread that includes boatloads of information referenced in the index.

so long and short of it.
Use 110 lb cardstock. Cleanly Score all fold lines. Then cut out parts. Make sure your numbers are printed as well for matching. Pre-bend everything. Glue together with Super glue gel. less mess.
Brush thin coat of resin outside, Let cure
brush thin coat of resin inside, let cure
brush thin coat of resin outside, let cure
brush thin coat of resin inside, let cure
Then you can begin laying small squares of fiberglass mat or chop inside the helmet and wet out with your resin. Once fully cured it should be stiff enough to begin your Bondo process. Take a rasp over your helmet to smooth out geometry before bondo. Apply bondo in small areas and work those first. DO NOT COVER THE ENTIRE THING. It will be a mess. I kept a rasp handy to smooth my bondo out on my EOD while it was still soft, let it cure fully then orbital or hand sanded. THIS IS NOT A QUICK PROCESS.

There are some videos out there and they are a quick search for Pepakura and bondo on Youtube.

Sha-shaa!

Is that the Canadian version of "Ta-Da"?
giphy-downsized.gif

There is this:
Tutorial Index

First look at the Pepakura Designer ones to get familiar with the program.

Then look at the Pep Method ones to get familiar with all the other good parts.

Thanks asguardian! That was perfect. I knew about the threads, was just hoping that you guys could provide something extra. Thanks alot! (I don't like to ask for something without looking it up first)
I just hate trying to attempt something new without someone directly near to help me because I know I'll screw it up :b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back