Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will start applying resin to the pepped parts of my armor. I've never used resin before. Does anyone have quick tips or advice?

Step One: Safety
Make sure that you have latex gloves and a quality respirator. The gloves you can pick in the drywall accessory section at your local Wal-Mart for around $5 for a box of 50. The respirator needs to be rated to protect against organic vapors.

Step Two: Mix
Make sure that you follow the directions on the resin container. Most, if not all of us have modified our mixing habits to match our application techniques. Follow the directions closely will allow enough time for you to apply the resin without it hardening before you get it applied. Be sure to mix it in small batches.

Step Three: Application
Your best bet is going to be to apply multiple thin coats. It will keep the resin from running, and pooling up, making the finishing stage more labor-intensive than necessary.

Start there, and be sure to post some pics of your progress. I hope that helps.

-Matt

Make sure its warm enough outside too. I see you live in San Jose, i dont know how cold it is but you need heat in order for it to cure. If its not warm it will take a lot longer to cure.

On your first coat wipe the brush on the inside walls of the container of resin after you dip it in. That way you won't get resin drops accidentally on your part and you are forced to work in very thin layers like mkshane said.

I recommend using a thin coat on the outside of the part first, just to seal it up. Then let it cure and apply a med/heavy coat on the inside. Then 2-3 more coats on the outside.

Aside from your respirator and gloves, you'll also want to wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, and shoes. Its not fun when you get that stuff on your skin.

On your first coat wipe the brush on the inside walls of the container of resin after you dip it in. That way you won't get resin drops accidentally on your part and you are forced to work in very thin layers like mkshane said.

I recommend using a thin coat on the outside of the part first, just to seal it up. Then let it cure and apply a med/heavy coat on the inside. Then 2-3 more coats on the outside.

Aside from your respirator and gloves, you'll also want to wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, and shoes. Its not fun when you get that stuff on your skin.

it can burn.... also the fibers if you go that route from mesh are painful when under nails in the creases of your skin... and it gets everywhere... be careful.

its the mixture between hardner and resin dont over mix i got my resin to smoke and smolder before and it will melt through plastic.... you have been warned.

mkshane81: i've got the glove and the mask i have should work, i'll also be working outside, and it does help. also you can check out the thread i have on my armor it's in my signature, it has a link to the photobucket album, but i will post the link here as well once i have enough to show involving resin.

Agent Arizona: lately it's been a really nice high 60s to low 70s, so perfect weather.

Hugh Holder: i always ware jeans and close toe shoes, long sleeve shirt noted.

ventrue: -claps- very funny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back