Respirator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haloplayer

Jr Member
Hey guys i have a question. I dont have crazy money to buy a respirator specifically for filtering harmful vapors but i have a different idea. What if i work outside with a big powerful fan pointing in a way that the fumes from the fiberglass go away from me. NOT AT ME!!! Also (just in case) ill be wearing a paper rewspirator. Its better than nothing.

[attachment=10236:Fiberglass.jpg]

Your lungs are worth a lot more than the 30 some dollars a respirator will cost you. Plus, you'll save bundles from all the doctor's visits you won't have to go to in the future for that cough that just won't go away!

I understand how your method should work, but with fiberglass, you ALWAYS go for the best way, and that is with a respirator. I know you may not have alot of money, but trust us, you need one for fiberglassing. Make sure you get the ones that have cartridges and blocks up fiberglass fumes. If you don't know how they look, ask your local hardware store about it.

dude first if you cork with a giant fan behind you your gonna blow all your materials off whatever surface your working on, secondly i wear a paper resperatoe and my lungs are fine, and i work in a garage in Florida, it was 98 today, not a pretty sight. but just make sure your not deeply inhaling the fumes in. my advice though, buy a respirator if your thinking about doing this long term, im still a little loopy and i finished 6 hours ago. but maby thats because of something els........ :D :eek

ALWAYS WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT GOES FOR THE POST ABOVE TOO!!!!!!!! ALWAYSALWAYSALWAYS!!!!

Sgt Whoopass said:
dude first if you cork with a giant fan behind you your gonna blow all your materials off whatever surface your working on, secondly i wear a paper resperatoe and my lungs are fine, and i work in a garage in Florida, it was 98 today, not a pretty sight. but just make sure your not deeply inhaling the fumes in. my advice though, buy a respirator if your thinking about doing this long term, im still a little loopy and i finished 6 hours ago. but maby thats because of something els........ :D :eek

It wont affect you now, but in twenty years you'll contract silicosis. Look it up, it sucks, more than that even.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with everyone on here. Might not effect you now but in the future you will suffer from not being safe.

halo101 said:
I wont be doing this long term. also i found these disposable respirators for fiberglassing, sanding and all that stuff heres the link: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200239274_200239274

Can i use these???

You don't really have a good chance recovering from any conditions caused by fiberglass since they're all, how do you say, irreversible?

You're already half way to a real respirator if you buy those disposable ones, but if you don't think you need your lungs that's your choice.

Read this: Shorthand Respirator Safety

Disposable masks don't filter vapors or fumes and fans just spread them around. You're going to get a full dose. $30 is not crazy money to spend on not getting brain damage.

Work with a respirator, or don't work with resin at all. Period. Nobody is ever going to tell you otherwise here.

phenry said:
You don't really have a good chance recovering from any conditions caused by fiberglass since they're all, how do you say, irreversible?

You're already half way to a real respirator if you buy those disposable ones, but if you don't think you need your lungs that's your choice.

It protects against installing fiberglass. I just want to use the disposable ones. They protect as much as the real ones except theyre disposable.

Seeing a s you don't/won't want to listen this thread has been locked.

Fumes and gases pass THROUGH paper which is permiable (or however it's spelled). It's like putting a band aid over a paper cut and submerging your hand in lemon juice. The cut is covered, but the juice still gets right in there. You can roll around in Fiberglass sanded dust all you want, aside from thousands of splinters, you'll have a nice chest full of cancer

Am I being mean, probably. Should I be, yeah, you're going to give other members dumb ideas. You're putting your life on the line for halo armor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back