RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you manage to make parts that clean when they are that small?

Magic! :D

Well, that...and tweezers, magnifier lamp, X-acto blades, toothpicks, proper glue (and that's not hot glue), and skill that I think existing members doubted due to me being a "noob". I doubt it takes any more time than building larger pieces, but it does take steady hands and sharp eyes.

Might as well be magic lol. I definitely don't have the patience for working with pepakura pieces that require that level of attention. I might be able to survive one piece, but certainly not a whole lot of it. I despise hot glue for most bonding purposes. I never bothered using it for pep work. I've always used super glue with little problem (only the gel kind).

Your detail is incredible! Looking good, keep it up!

Thanks - I intend to!

No update - Simply changing the thread title to include my screen name for better alignment with forum recommendations and to be consistent with the naming of other high-quality build threads. So just move along, nothing to see here, go on back about your business, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"....

This is unbelievable, I just tuned in today and read through the whole thread, you're very good at precise edges and keeping them from warping-something I struggled with on my first peps and still am not great at, but having a background in the metalworking field I really enjoy the bondo sculpting aspect more. It's more expensive than paper, but I find it's more open to creativity if you're adding CUSTOM detail, which I've been doing with stuff like anime mask's and the donnie darko bunny. My question is how you will attack more curved pieces, I'd like to see your jedi tricks on the curve of the torso and helmet visor before the bondo stage. I'd also love to see the detail you would add to your own suit, even if you just do one piece since you're not into halo and that could always be sold as well.

I will be doing all the HD armor pieces for this build, all of them with the same attention to detail as the ones made thus far, and also a game-accurate undersuit (but with this I'm not intending to waste time and resources on areas that are covered by armor). I have already done curved pieces on the biceps, and I'm actually looking forward to the torso because it will be large compared to everything else I've been doing. The helmet I've selected to make is FlyingSquirrel's because after comparing all the helmets that one is closest to game-accurate. I also have weapons planned. This will ultimately be a fairly long thread. Thanks for taking a look at my work!

I thought you might enjoy seeing "behind the scenes" (and all its mess!) on how I made the gauntlets trench. It looks pretty bad on the inside, but who cares - it's to be covered with Rondo and fiberglass anyway! The outside is what really matters, and I think that side turned out good. So if anybody was interested in trying it on their own build, this photo might help in understanding more of how it was done. (You can also see how I used mat board strips to re-enforce the sides of the large flat area for keeping the small "step" there at a sharp angle, as just a fold on its own wasn't enough for it to hold its shape. In hindsight, I probably should have made them bigger to help the large flat area keep flat during resining.)

Gauntlets8.jpg

Gauntlets6.jpg

I'm just wondering how you plan on keeping all those details once you begin smearing bondo over your suit ._.

Um, because I won't be "smearing" bondo all over the suit. Bondo is only needed where imperfections exist in the pep surface, and for smoothing out curves and contours. Too many people simply cake the stuff on and then fret about all the sanding they need to do and all the detail that was lost. Less is better when it comes to bondo, and it should be built up with multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer. Don't worry about these pieces losing their detail during the bondo phase - I've worked with it before and know what to do. I also have a neat little trick planned for keeping the trenches and recesses clean while doing the bondo and sanding, so you'll want to stick around for seeing that. :)

Um, because I won't be "smearing" bondo all over the suit. Bondo is only needed where imperfections exist in the pep surface, and for smoothing out curves and contours. Too many people simply cake the stuff on and then fret about all the sanding they need to do and all the detail that was lost. Less is better when it comes to bondo, and it should be built up with multiple thin layers rather than one thick layer. Don't worry about these pieces losing their detail during the bondo phase - I've worked with it before and know what to do. I also have a neat little trick planned for keeping the trenches and recesses clean while doing the bondo and sanding, so you'll want to stick around for seeing that. :)

I have to chime in and agree with RobotChickens statement. Those few sentences hold A LOT of meaning and advice to the bondo process. I HIGHLY recommend to follow this advice. :)

I'm glad I read this before I do my chest piece haha - Thanks!

I have to chime in and agree with RobotChickens statement. Those few sentences hold A LOT of meaning and advice to the bondo process. I HIGHLY recommend to follow this advice. :)

Oh wow, LongShot posted in my thread! Isn't that like getting a star on Hollywood Blvd? :D

That looks beautiful. Even the back looks really good there. It is going to rock when you get it finished!

Thanks guys. I've been working on the replacement inner arm detail (or front, depending on how your wrist is turned) for the gauntlets, which has earned me the title of Pep Master from my son who can't believe how detailed they are at the size they're at. I look at them myself and sometimes agree it's a bit crazy. I'm taking lots of photos during their assembly to go along with a planned upload of the pep file I made of them. It will probably take me at least another week yet to finish them as I don't get much time for working on this project, and soon things will temporarily slow down even more to start work on this year's Halloween costume - Steve from Minecraft.

The details are great! I can't wait to see how you will manage to not cover them with the bondo (I'm using it for the first time and I'm having a lot of trouble not covering details...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back