Roman numerals and suits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its nice to see such a collection of mjolnir armor knowledge. It would be nice if the books or games explained the variations in terms like Mark V Mod 2. The "mod" designation denoting a variation to a mark but not significant enough to bump it to a higher Mark.

The halo books I have read seem to purposefully stay away from naming the armor models with "Mark" designations and simply refer to it as MJOLNIR. I do know that the Mjolnir armor used in the first Halo was the first armor to have shields. The unshielded armor did not have biofoam but had injection ports for biofoam, the shielded model had biofoam reservoir built-in. Spartan IIs were issued their first shielded MJOLNIR mere days before Battle of Reach and "the Pillar of Autumn" discovery of the first Halo ring. At the time that Dr Halsey fitted the Spartan IIs with the shielded MJOLNIR she said that it was the full realization of the MJOLNIR project, as if the armors leading up to it were like prototype stages.

FYI Ghost of Onyx has Kurt (Spartan-051) "lost" while on an EVA in the "vacuum-enhanced variant" of the then unshieled MJOLNIR. So there were variants of the older "Marks" too.

I suspect the Halo Wars MJOLNIR armor has to be the "Mark IV" [unsheilded armor] b/c the timeframe has to be between first contact with the Covenant (Harvest) and the Battle of Reach/Halo. The "Mark IV" was the only publicly acknowledged armor on the battlefield at that time. The SPI armor was around but it was under deep black secrecy only used on suicide missions, not for interaction with regular forces.

dwoo said:
Its nice to see such a collection of mjolnir armor knowledge. It would be nice if the books or games explained the variations in terms like Mark V Mod 2. The "mod" designation denoting a variation to a mark but not significant enough to bump it to a higher Mark.

The halo books I have read seem to purposefully stay away from naming the armor models with "Mark" designations and simply refer to it as MJOLNIR. I do know that the Mjolnir armor used in the first Halo was the first armor to have shields. The unshielded armor did not have biofoam but had injection ports for biofoam, the shielded model had biofoam reservoir built-in. Spartan IIs were issued their first shielded MJOLNIR mere days before Battle of Reach and "the Pillar of Autumn" discovery of the first Halo ring. At the time that Dr Halsey fitted the Spartan IIs with the shielded MJOLNIR she said that it was the full realization of the MJOLNIR project, as if the armors leading up to it were like prototype stages.

FYI Ghost of Onyx has Kurt (Spartan-051) "lost" while on an EVA in the "vacuum-enhanced variant" of the then unshieled MJOLNIR. So there were variants of the older "Marks" too.

I suspect the Halo Wars MJOLNIR armor has to be the "Mark IV" [unsheilded armor] b/c the timeframe has to be between first contact with the Covenant (Harvest) and the Battle of Reach/Halo. The "Mark IV" was the only publicly acknowledged armor on the battlefield at that time. The SPI armor was around but it was under deep black secrecy only used on suicide missions, not for interaction with regular forces.

note the fact that ghost of Onyx happened somewhere within the time frame of Halo 2 (cortana message) so SPI wasn't even around back then(except for early early protos)

Kurt (Spartan-051) "lost" while on an EVA in the "vacuum-enhanced variant" of the then unshieled MJOLNIR. So there were variants of the older "Marks" too.

dont know what you mean... but if you mean that kurt was in a EVA (H3 variant) then your wrong.. Kurt supposedly suicided with his SPI.
Kurt also did not use any type of Mjolnir, he used SPI to "fit in with his S3s"

EDIT:
right, sorry about the biofoam stuff on the Mark V. I had mistaken, The biofoam had to be manually injected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocknrollcows said:
dont know what you mean... but if you mean that kurt was in a EVA (H3 variant) then your wrong..

You are quite right.....He was w/Kelly and them, who all still had the Mark V, first shielded MJOLNIR armor.....

The only one so far that has "notably" received any MK VI was John-117, at the beginning of Halo 2 on the orbital station.
Any other Spartan-IIs that you hear of still have their MK V.

~Epyon

Epyon said:
You are quite right.....He was w/Kelly and them, who all still had the Mark V, first shielded MJOLNIR armor.....

The only one so far that has "notably" received any MK VI was John-117, at the beginning of Halo 2 on the orbital station.
Any other Spartan-IIs that you hear of still have their MK V.

~Epyon

few of them had different pieces of Mark VI but not the complete set o_O

man... this is getting off topic :D (not really)

Rocknrollcows said:
note the fact that ghost of Onyx happened somewhere within the time frame of Halo 2 (cortana message) so SPI wasn't even around back then(except for early early protos)
dont know what you mean... but if you mean that kurt was in a EVA (H3 variant) then your wrong.. Kurt supposedly suicided with his SPI.

Kurt also did not use any type of Mjolnir, he used SPI to "fit in with his S3s"

EDIT:
right, sorry about the biofoam stuff on the Mark V. I had mistaken, The biofoam had to be manually injected.

Ghost of Onyx spans a time of just over 20 years...

MJOLNIR
--Kurt (Spartan-051) was "lost" in 2531 in his "MARK IV" EVA variant ("vacuum-enhanced"). The "lost" I am referring to is his faked death in order to be "sheep dipped" by Section 3 for duty as the Spartan-III program Commanding Officer. And his armor had to have been the Mark IV b/c the other Spartan-II's were not issued the Mark-V until the day before the Battle for Reach and the subsequent discovery of the first Halo ring on 30 August 2552.
--The Mark-V was issued on 29 August 2552 with hundreds of minor technical improvements and two major systems improvements: shields (actually an improvement over the jackal shields) and the layer of memory-processor super-conductor for the AI.
--Its safe to assume that Blue Team (Fred, Linda, and Will) were issued the Mark-VI in Oct 2552 (issue date according to Halo 3) and were wearing it when they left the battle on Earth for Onyx in November 2552.
--Also, Kelly may have gained Mark-VI directly from Dr. Halsey as replacement for the armor that was damaged from the action that left her with burns over 72% of her body. Armor that left her body with that much damage would surely have needed replacement.

SPI ARMOR
--SPI Armor was in the briefing given to Kurt in 2531 (20 yrs before Halo) when he accepted command of the new Spartan-III program.
--Alpha company was wearing SPI armor in 2537 during the fatal Operation POMETHEUS and during the mission debrief Kurt regretted not rectifying "the flaws in their Mark-I PR suits and fixed them faster." Kurt wished the suggested upgrades for the SPI (Mark-I) armor's software had been implemented before Alpha had graduated. Also, "PR suits" is a different reference the SPI armor b/c it is used again when Kurt dons the SPI to fit in with his Spartan-IIIs.
--In 2537 Kurt's requested upgrades for the Mark-II SPI armor were over budget, that means the Mark-II SPI armor must have been in use and needing upgrades before then.
--In 2551 the SPI armor (Mark II) was getting refit with the "new photoreactive coatings to boost their camouflaging properties. Their were other experimental refits -- gel ballistic layers, upgraded software suites, and other functions -- that would hopefully be working within a year's time." GoO p99

Xavier said:
sorry... but whats the point of this thread?

Apparently, It's becoming a very good collection of information about all the different variations of MJOLNIR armor, through all of its stages... It'll be a good place to direct people when they have questions about what's what or if they'd like to find out some details.

And dwoo, I'm glad you sat down and got all the timetables sorted out, it helped a lot and even clarified a few things that I'd been wondering. ALso, your speculations could be correct on most of those....Only one I'm personally uncertain about is the MK VI for Kelly from Dr. Halsey, though it's entirely possible.

Other thing that I wonder, is if Kurt's armor is still the MK IV when he's getting his SPI out of the base before they head into the forerunner area. I seemed to think from it's description that he may in fact have gotten MK V.....but your timetable seems to prove that a little wrong, since he indeed hadn't worn it since he got his first recruits..

~Epyon

Thanks Epyon
Yeah, I know I am going out on a limb with Kelly's Mark-VI theory but even if she didn't receive the upgrade she must have at least gotten refittings for her damaged armor. I don't think she could have been jumping sentinels in the Onyx jungles with severely damaged armor. Kelly and the Blue Team upgrades are the only ones I didn't find direct support for, all I can say is that they fit within the timelines.

As for Kurt's MJOLNIR armor in his quarters at Camp Currahee, I wondered the same thing when I was looking up the passages for my previous post. I had a lot of different thoughts about it then I re-read the same line that you must have read... that he had not worn it since he greeted the Alpha company recruits, 27 December 2532... that would clearly make it a Mark-IV. As extra support, I can't imagine a new set of Dr. Halsey's MJOLNIR armor slipping past her and her AI spies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back