Rosh's odst build wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1 cm eva foam floor mats from harbor freight that have been going around on this site. For details I use foamies and a wood burner to do lines and screw heads. I currently use a utility knife to make my cuts, but I think I'll be changing to a got knife next week when I get time to work on this again.

I love reach odst. I cant believe how much the foam armoring has taken off. its cool to see someone on the ball and working on this project. looks great and keep up the good work.

quick question for you. I looked around and couldn't seem to find a thread or faq for it.
what do you use to make your visor for your odst helmets?

My patterns are all handmade, occasionally using kirrous pep files as reference for scaling detail parts. I would be happy to share them, but they are all hastily drafted card stock or masking tape messes.

This visor was made by cutting plexiglass and heat forming over a hardened pep buck. My visor however was made using kirrous buck and is scaled for a helmet 15 mm taller than mine so the fit leaves much to be desired.both kirrou and I made our visors on release night, his fits perfectly, mine not so much. I have a sean bradley visor, but thus far I have found it to be wholly incompatible with this helmet at any scale.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I'm working on cutting out my first pep and i kept looking at the visor portion and wondering just how i was gonna do it. Keep up your awesome work I can only pray that mine will look anything close to yours.

AHHHHH, update time, with pics!

i spent some time this week sanding, spot puttying and painting all of my creations. my goal is to be done by halloween, but to make sure i at least have something wearable i am finishing pieces as i go.
here is my freshly painted and smoothed (so smooth) helmet:
2010-10-19_20-27-22_914.jpg

2010-10-19_20-28-01_324.jpg

my similarly smooth chestplate- theres a lot of extra detail i want to add, but i dont have the time to make the stencils- im not totally sure about taht camo green either. it may clash with my red stripe ;p
2010-10-19_20-30-48_412.jpg

the ab plate is done too, just not painted so no pics of it just yet. on to my painted (though not completely) gauntlets! i know i want to add more to the color scheme of these, i just cant for the life of me figure out what to add...
2010-10-19_20-31-51_912.jpg

heres the beginning of the first shoulder, its a little farther along than this atm, just dont feel like taking another pic till its done.
2010-10-19_20-32-13_647.jpg

i dyed my shoulder harness from yellow to black, but once again, no pics till i am happy with the whole torso- but heres one of the back im not sure i uploaded yet.
2010-10-05_01-52-06_86.jpg

im hard underway on the shoulders for this project, and i'll be adding more pics as more develop.

Ooooo~ Shiiiinneeyyyy....
I can't wait to see this in person! When you come over next, you have to show me how you do this with foam. How did you seal the gauntlets? Plasti-Dip like what other people are using?

I used mod podge. So far its my favorite. I haven't found any plasti dip yet, but a few coats of mod podge does the trick. Also... I sold my soul to make my sean bradley visor fit!
2010-10-20_01-16-06_943.jpg

Big night for me so far. Off to bed, tomorrow has got to be a productive day or I won't meet my goal.

After the coat of mod podge, did the pieces become stiff, or did it still maintain the flexibility of the foam?

You gotta see it in person, te chestplate and helmet are so smooth now. My little brother is coming down on Saturday to work on his ghost starcraft costume, maybe you (and maybe team Phoenix as a whole) could come to my place for a change of scenery. Also, Halloween party @ my house next Saturday! I need to send a mass text to encourage phoenician armor builders to attend!

2010-10-26_23-29-54_903.jpg

that pic says it all. im nearly done with this build, i kicked it into overdrive today and finished the lower body pieces!
2010-10-27_00-06-24_421.jpg

aaaand, heres one more of me making a hardass face while taking a self cellphone pic in a bathroom decorated with pink towels.
2010-10-26_23-36-52_77.jpg

Holy free Holiez!! How have I missed this thread!? This is amazing work Rosh!

Thanks for the kind words, my threads seem to be under the radar kind of things. Maybe I need better thread titles.. Guess I'll rename this one "sexy odst build", that oughta get me some replies. And my sexy odst costume has been done for months. here's a hint... Its just a helmet and socks.

AHHHHAAAAAA!!!! 8DDDD THAT IS SO FLIPPING AWESOME!! Man I can't wait to see this, this is so cool!! You're going to be the highlight of your halloween party, aren't you? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back