Rotational Moulding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this the other day. Don't remember why.

I wonder what gear ratio they used. I figured you'd have to use at least 2:1 where the inside frame would nead to revolve twice for every revolution of the outside frame. Looks like that's what they did, but I'm not too sure. They need to do a write up on that. I didn't think to use include an automated turn system(drill). That was pretty clever and it would provide an even turning speed.

looks like a good idea but I don't knw how well it would work for Armor. The insides od their casts had plast slung between each side. so maybe with alot of trimming. Good for gun props though. And def. Awsome to create that from scrap parts.

BenStreeper said:
The insides od their casts had plast slung between each side.

Just need to tweek amount of material and turning speed to fix that. There's a lot more calculations behind accurate rotation castings that they probable didn't have to worry about as much as getting it to work properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're also doing theirs with small light-weight things, it seems like. I don't know if it'd scale work with something as big and heavy as a chest mold; using a drill to power it at least. Good work for what they were doing, though.

I don't really understand the necessity of this, but I don't know anything about mold casting either. Why is is necessary to spin the mold like that when the casts I see on this site come out fine without this mechanism?

People on the site develop their casts pretty much the same way through slush casting. Rotational casting is just sort of an automation of that process.

While this exact method wouldn't work for some molds people have here, things like Ben pointed out would possibly benefit. Rifles, grenades, equipment pieces, etc would all do pretty well using rotational casting methods.

Typically, you use this method for totally enclosed molds/casts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back