RoxyRoo's Chick Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys! I should have more done soon. ^^

Those look awesome- I should hopefully be around to come over this week. I can't wait to see what your next piece looks like!

Sweet. Just text me to let me know. ^^

I finished my duct tape dress form thanks to Aether and my sister. And thanks to that (and some peeps nudging me this direction), I've started work on my chest piece. First off, i knew i couldn't do it the same way as my arm pieces. The form of it is just too big to draw out on grid paper. So I went back to tin foil. Yup. Tin foil. Cheap, moldable, and of course. Shiny.

Once the basic shape was down i covered it in masking tape, drew on the masking tape, eye-balling where the edges should be and went from there. It's only the "chest" of the chest so far, but i'll have more done later.

1) Reference:
HDScreenshot2010-06-04at95204PM.png

2) First part. Tin foil + masking tape ontop of my duct tape dummy.
107_0053.jpg

3) More tin foil and masking tape. Shape is coming together. I started sketching out the details for later.
107_0056.jpg

More updates soon. :)

Looking good, I'm very interested in this process- certainly the most original way to scratch build I've ever seen. Keel it up! Progress!

How to make your own duct tape dummy!

Step 1: get a trash bag. Cut arm holes and a head hole. Put it on.

Step 2: Get rolls of duct tape. I used two, but for bigger people? maybe 3 or 4.

Step 3: Get a friend. Have them cover you up in tape. You need at least 2 layers thick of it. This will take a while. Mine took about 3 hours.

Step 4: Get out. Once you've covered it pretty good, have your friend cut you out from the back (up the spine). Take it off

Step 5: Close it and stuff it. With newspaper. It's cheap, so you might as well use it. Then close up the arm, neck and bottom holes so the paper doesn't fall out. Voila! It's done!

Not only is this handy for mounting your armor, but it can be also used to help with other, fabric costumes. ^w^ I'll definitely use it for pattern making for dresses and cosplays in the future! I've been meaning to make one for years, and now I finally did!

How to make your own duct tape dummy!

Step 1: get a trash bag. Cut arm holes and a head hole. Put it on.

Step 2: Get rolls of duct tape. I used two, but for bigger people? maybe 3 or 4.

Step 3: Get a friend. Have them cover you up in tape. You need at least 2 layers thick of it. This will take a while. Mine took about 3 hours.

Step 4: Get out. Once you've covered it pretty good, have your friend cut you out from the back (up the spine). Take it off

Step 5: Close it and stuff it. With newspaper. It's cheap, so you might as well use it. Then close up the arm, neck and bottom holes so the paper doesn't fall out. Voila! It's done!

Not only is this handy for mounting your armor, but it can be also used to help with other, fabric costumes. ^w^ I'll definitely use it for pattern making for dresses and cosplays in the future! I've been meaning to make one for years, and now I finally did!

Very creative! Really glad you posted this I was stumped on when I was gonna make one out of! thanks a bunch

Wow Roxy this is coming out freaking sweet. I wish I would have had a chance to make it the other day. I love how you have completely different ways of making this stuff. Not just cardboard or pep. Keep it up. Hopefully see you next week so I can make so progress on my build too. Lol

I know I kinda dissapeared, but I've been working on my chest piece still. This is a very hard thing to make all by yourself. I've made a little progress so here's some more pictures:

1) I finished the front. Besides minor details, anyway.
107_0061.jpg

2) I'm working on the back pack now. The pattern for this took forever! And I've mapped out the ribs.
Photoon2010-09-09at2201.jpg

3) From the front... I made the shoulder blade thing from cardstock. >.> Pieced it together with tape. It might look a little big, but i tried it on and it looked perfect. Besides, this is just the pattern. I'll be tracing it onto "anti-fatigue foam matt" instead of craft foam because it's thicker. It's the stuff that PeteMander (spelling?) used for his epic Elite.
Photoon2010-09-10at22472.jpg

Meh. More stuff soon. I want to get moving faster on this armor cuz.. watching the video with Bungie and Kat dancing made me want to wear my own armor and do the same thing. XDDD

CHICK SPARTANS RULEZ!!!!!

Lol Looking sexy Rox. Your pro faux-peper. This thing is really starting to come together. Keep it up.

This is an awesome thread, I'm watching this!
Nice to see someone thinking outside the box, unlike caboose.
cabooseinabox.jpg
"Sneaking, Sneaking, Sneaking... what was that?"

I have to make a pep file for that ^^

Very cool. Dont see much female armor. My wife has shown interest after mines done..

I know people stay away from foam since your not able to resin it. How do you plan to stiffin it?

@GMer56: Thanks!

I know people stay away from foam since your not able to resin it. How do you plan to stiffin it?

Actually, you can resin it. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't melt from resining. But I'm not sure yet if I want to go about it that way. I'm going to harden the inside with paper clay (it's lighter and non-toxic) and seal the outside with.. something else. I haven't really reached a decision yet. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. >.>

Thanks! I never knew that :)

I always liked building some pieces in the slice method more, If I could use 1/8" foam instead of cardboard It would be a lot nicer/easier to work with too. I think I may give it a try

I'll be very interested in seeing your continued process on the armor elements made of craft foam, as its something I've been exploring myself. I know you've already decided on a direction for the body armor, but did you consider something a little thicker/sturdier like EVA foam at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back