RX-79[G] Pep Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZakuAce

Jr Member
I have been working on this project for a little while and thought I could share my progress and get general thoughts. Would appreciate any bondo tips, it seems to not be my strong suit. Mainly, is there any way to get more working time with it?

Anyway, current status:

Pep Files:
Helmet - Unfolded
Upper Torso - Unfolded
Lower Torso - Unfolded
Back Pack - Unfolded
Shoulder - Unfolded

Pieces built:
Helmet - Bondo / Sanding

In order to keep the helmet size down and prevent weird scaling I cut the front mask.

mlub.jpg

The helmet is going to need a good hunk of sanding to get everything sorted out.

fsk6.jpg

Looks like you're off to a really good start. You're pep work looks nice and clean.

As to pointers with bondo. . . Less is definitely more when it comes to working with it. I know you said you want more working time, but if you don't put enough hardener in it, it may never fully cure. Just stick to the golf ball size amount of bondo to pea size amount of hardener and you should be fine (which is pretty much the directions suggestion on the cans). If you're actually using bondo by 3M, that company makes spreaders that are a shade of pink, usually sold in a set of 3 spreaders. The color of those spreaders are the proper color that the bondo should be mixed to get maximum working time and a good solid cure time(usually workable within an hour or so for sanding. Working times depend on your location, temperature, humidity and among other things. . . the way you mix it up. 4-7 minutes is a normal working time though for me in 100+ heat and high humidity. I suggest working with small batches to avoid waste and only work in small areas. Our pep projects aren't like cars that we can just whip up a big ol' batch of bondo and slap it on there.

If you haven't seen Cereal's thread, he goes into a lot of things with bondo and how he works with it. I highly suggest it. He has a lot of videos in the thread for reference.

Keep up the good work and hope my rambling helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips, I have been trying to use smaller amounts at a time, probably just need to be more patient and be ok with getting less done each time I use it.

Nice to see you starting on this. I still have the front and back of the COD semi unfolded along with the entire back pack assembly. Of course i think there all on my 4chan still.

Edit#2: went ahead from being bored to redoing the Torso by joining the small circles in the bottum and the vent housing. The Hatch is seperate but a solid piece with out the barrel at the neck. As for the last piece, I couldnt get the diementiongs right from the opposite side. All you have to do is pep it out without all the detaits and glue it in. I'll have it posted in the other thread for you in a few, along with something i ripped from the model and been toying with most of the night.

Edit#3:Could not get any sleep through out the night here. But i pumped this out over night. No Gundam should never go into battle with out one of these. That and you could use some more free fun time with this build.

http://www.4shared.com/file/X2a4Bn7F/Ground_Gundam_Sheild.html

I haven't updated this in a while, but the bondo work has been going pretty well, just about done with it (i hope). I will post some pics later this week (today or tomorrow) and then I will be off to finsih sanding out the inside (once I get some replacement sanding pads for my dremel) and paint.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Not a bad choice using the models from 8th MS team. looks pretty goo already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back