Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one hip-pod I finished pepping tonight.

BmHOgOY.jpg

Seems someone was spying on my top-secret project with an iPhone..... ;)
81S6Ibu.jpg

You sir, are a maniac... o_O ..and this build is a monster. Not to mention you got and observatory - an observatory!.. sneriously, I'm reading through all of this win today - and if there's a fullscale mech pod lurking somewhere in that lair of yours, i'm going AWOL tomorrow to search it out ;D kthnxbi (and +2 sub)

You sir, are a maniac... o_O ..and this build is a monster. Not to mention you got and observatory - an observatory!.. sneriously, I'm reading through all of this win today - and if there's a fullscale mech pod lurking somewhere in that lair of yours, i'm going AWOL tomorrow to search it out ;D kthnxbi (and +2 sub)

I was actually working on a mech powerlifter/loader a few years ago using air-muscle technology. I dropped it due to lack of funding. I still have a few articulated air-muscle arms and joints in the shed. Who knows? I may take it up again one day or even power the Iron-man suit with air-muscles.

I was actually working on a mech powerlifter/loader a few years ago using air-muscle technology. I dropped it due to lack of funding. I still have a few articulated air-muscle arms and joints in the shed. Who knows? I may take it up again one day or even power the Iron-man suit with air-muscles.

Doit. Doit nao!!! And micro tesla coils in the hands - definitely those too!! <grin> For the record if you ever get around to building that mech let me know, we've been working on a multi-peripheral runner for some time lol x)

It's great to find you over here buddy. Great work!!! What did you scale the abs and chest as? I had to do my COD and Abs (robo) to 29 (Cod was 29 and so the abs had to be 29 since I wanted them to look proptional. That are a little high by a half a inch but I'm not complaing. Chest part is next.

Hi mate. My scale is 26.833291. I'm 186cm tall and fairly fit, with a bit of a small gut. (Makes the abdominal armour a bit of a challenge.)

Hi mate. My scale is 26.833291. I'm 186cm tall and fairly fit, with a bit of a small gut. (Makes the abdominal armour a bit of a challenge.)

Understand that....I have wider hips and it's kinda tight to get over them. I'll def have to wear spandex type suit/shorts. My worry is that the cod and abs are going to make the chest look odd.

Do you put your parts on the manni and then resin it, take it off and glass it? I was thinking how this would work but haven't done it yet. Just made my suit yesterday.

Understand that....I have wider hips and it's kinda tight to get over them. I'll def have to wear spandex type suit/shorts. My worry is that the cod and abs are going to make the chest look odd.

Do you put your parts on the manni and then resin it, take it off and glass it? I was thinking how this would work but haven't done it yet. Just made my suit yesterday.

I only just built the dummy. I know now that I should have done that FIRST and if I had, then I would make ALL the parts in pep FIRST, fit them ALL to the dummy, MODIFYy their shape, size and fit so they fit the DUMMY (sans-myself) and also fit TOGETHER...

THEN - once happy with the fit of everything and ONLY THEN, would I start the hardening process......

There's always next time I guess.

I've come this far with a bucket load of mistakes, so I suppose it's a whole lot of learning trying to correct what I have so far and make it work.

I only just built the dummy. I know now that I should have done that FIRST and if I had, then I would make ALL the parts in pep FIRST, fit them ALL to the dummy, MODIFYy their shape, size and fit so they fit the DUMMY (sans-myself) and also fit TOGETHER...

THEN - once happy with the fit of everything and ONLY THEN, would I start the hardening process......

There's always next time I guess.

I've come this far with a bucket load of mistakes, so I suppose it's a whole lot of learning trying to correct what I have so far and make it work.

I hear ya on that one!! I've learned alot in the course of 3 weeks. I'm about done with the cod (glassing) then on the dummy it goes. I've been putting it on my self to see if it fits and if it does I've been glassing it...which is not the 110% correct way from what I gather. These is truly a fun hobby and learn so much that can be applied to daily life. Patience being one ! haha

Left thigh assembled. This one was a little more difficult than I expected. For such a large piece it is made of an incredible amount of small parts. Very fiddly cutting and folding on this one.

This is the first part I've made that came with braces to go inside it for shaping. This way I can harden it then cut the braces out and it will retain the correct shape.

I tried it on my leg and it fits perfectly, even allowing for thick and loose tracksuit pants, later to be replaced by bicycle long-johns and the padding inside the armour.

lBLuxnk.jpg

36aysnK.jpg

All looking great SB. I do have one concern though. I did a full pep of the suit and through seeing others a thing you will have to watch for is if you do the thighs before the cod you might find that the holes in the top of the thighs don't match up with the holes in the cod. Not sure if you've peped the cod yet but thought I would forewarn you.

All looking great SB. I do have one concern though. I did a full pep of the suit and through seeing others a thing you will have to watch for is if you do the thighs before the cod you might find that the holes in the top of the thighs don't match up with the holes in the cod. Not sure if you've peped the cod yet but thought I would forewarn you.

Hmmm... Could you make that a little clearer? Could you draw a chicken-scratch diagram to show me what you mean?

I've pepped the cod and left thigh and hip-pod, but haven't hardened any of them yet.

Hmmm... Could you make that a little clearer? Could you draw a chicken-scratch diagram to show me what you mean?

I've pepped the cod and left thigh and hip-pod, but haven't hardened any of them yet.

What he is saying is there is a cruve part on the COD for the hip pod to sit in and cruve part on the thigh to sit against. If the scaling for these aren't "right" it may look off.

Look at the hip pod/cod/thigh here

http://toydirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Hot_Toys_Iron_Man_2-Mark_IV-Figure-11.jpg

or

http://toyzcrazi.blogspot.com/2010/04/ht-new-pre-order-ironman-2-mark-iv.html

Suit being put on. (not mine)

fast forward to 2:50

or images here

https://www.google.com/search?q=iro...-new-pre-order-ironman-2-mark-iv.html;600;800

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that but I have seen suits where the width and depth aren't quite right and the thighs haven't matched the suit scale properly.

In my crappy diagram the green lines show the holes I am talking about (couldn't do a perspective sketch as am not very good at drawing with a mouse). The left diagram is scaled correctly. On the right the red line is the gap that will be created if it's slightly off. Now you might get away with it but I have noticed in some builds people haven't because they scaled the thigh to make sure the hight is right which brings in the depth and width too much. I never got to finishing my thighs for this exact reason. I am hoping my next attempt at it with a bit of modification should be scaled right, I hope!! I've done 3 of the stupid things already but the last attempt came close.

Untitled-1_zps89749277.jpg

Not only that but I have seen suits where the width and depth aren't quite right and the thighs haven't matched the suit scale properly.

In my crappy diagram the green lines show the holes I am talking about (couldn't do a perspective sketch as am not very good at drawing with a mouse). The left diagram is scaled correctly. On the right the red line is the gap that will be created if it's slightly off. Now you might get away with it but I have noticed in some builds people haven't because they scaled the thigh to make sure the hight is right which brings in the depth and width too much. I never got to finishing my thighs for this exact reason. I am hoping my next attempt at it with a bit of modification should be scaled right, I hope!! I've done 3 of the stupid things already but the last attempt came close.

Untitled-1_zps89749277.jpg

Ah learn something new everyday Thanks!

I found the thighs the hardest part to scale correctly because the origonal pep wasnt really designed to have some one in it more of an anatomically correct suit minus occupier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back