Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your skill is far too out there.... its not fair..... GIMME YOUR BRAIN! ROFL this is that damn good I wouldnt be surprised if a movie company got hold of you and gave you a job in prop making.

THIS BELONGS IN THE GODLIKE SECTION...... too good for the elite group!

Looks amazing dude, the level of detail is unparalleled! And you've done the right thing with the eyes, looks good and is completly functional.
Can't wait to see how the rest of it progresses!

Mike

Awesome work man ,I would not toss out your first helmet thought :) ,just an idea ,you could try mounting the face plate with springs ??? and the magnets ,just a thought ,good luck

1. FINALLY!! The servo and cable kit arrived from Singapore. Only took 8 weeks...
sCppWpE.jpg

2. Installing the first pull-cable to the inside hinge of the faceplate.
IR4arCr.jpg

3. The pull-cable goes through a bent and shaped copper tube towards where the servo-motor will be installed in the chin cavity. Glued in with liquid-nails and left for a few days to go rock-hard before I put any kind of stress on it.
S4WUyJU.jpg

It sure does take some time doesn't it?

Routing the copper tube and return-cable to the hinge on the opposite side of the faceplate.

dzdeGoe.jpg

1. Installing the servo-motor in the chin space. First a fitted card tub is made then the resin is poured.

QCLBVpO.jpg

2. Installing the servo-motor in the chin space. Once the resin has hardened, the servo motor is dropped into place and screwed down.
bG3SOEr.jpg

3. Parts of the suit are starting to fit together really well now. Neck, shoulders, chest and back brace inside, chest, back, abdominals, rib and lumbar armour.
lr16JDk.jpg

I've seen some well built ironman suits but this is by far the best thought out!
Really can't wait to see more progress on the torso etc

Simply righteous man. I love the way you made it so the eyes light up when the faceplate closes. Inginius :)

Looking really nice man. Looking forward to seeing a little video of the helmet in action :)

1. The cable tube for pulling the faceplate up has too many curves in it, as well as lifting against gravity, compounded by pulling on the hinge from too far back in the helmet. All these things led to the servo being unable to lift the faceplate, even though it can lower it perfectly well.

geKmBmB.jpg

2. To solve the problem, the cable tube was removed. Instead, I have placed an aluminium plate inside the helmet. The pull-cable will now be routed through steel eyelets screwed into the helmet and plate, right at the tip. This will achieve superior mechanical advantage to pull the faceplate up.

Trial and error is making the inside of the helmet look messy, but it will all be cleaned up and then lined when it's working properly.

Dx2KDSi.jpg

3. To ensure the back, ribs and abdominal armour retain the correct size and shape while the slush-cast is poured inside, I test fit it over my waist, marked the contact points then wired it in place. Braces inside maintain shape while the resin cures and hardens.

O8yYL11.jpg

Looking great man. I'm not sure if you've already done it, but lubricating the tubes your cable are running through will help too. I'd use a teflon spray lubricant, you can get it at most bike shops. It's main use is actually for lubricating cable housings. Don't use WD-40 though. A lot of people use it as a lube because of it's oily texture, but it doesn't last long because it's not meant for that. It's actually made for water displacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back