Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that but I have seen suits where the width and depth aren't quite right and the thighs haven't matched the suit scale properly.

In my crappy diagram the green lines show the holes I am talking about (couldn't do a perspective sketch as am not very good at drawing with a mouse). The left diagram is scaled correctly. On the right the red line is the gap that will be created if it's slightly off. Now you might get away with it but I have noticed in some builds people haven't because they scaled the thigh to make sure the hight is right which brings in the depth and width too much. I never got to finishing my thighs for this exact reason. I am hoping my next attempt at it with a bit of modification should be scaled right, I hope!! I've done 3 of the stupid things already but the last attempt came close.

Untitled-1_zps89749277.jpg

Ah I see. So far I've used the same scale factor for the whole suit and the only part I've had any problems with is the waist. Even then, it's an easy solve by cutting off the rigid sides and replacing them with foam.

I just laid the cod on the floor with the thigh under it. Looks ok so far.

FSe1cru.jpg

COuccGq.jpg

Ah cool all looks fine. Wasn't sure if you had the waist/cod done.
I had issues with the thigh not being big enough round. If I scaled that right then I had too much hight and no room for the cod. It could be that the thickness if the foam doesn't help.

Checking for fit. By the time I get the inside fibreglassed and padded, then the undersuit - there won't be much room left in there. Should be a snug fit.

ZUr5c6w.jpg

ctaU87s.jpg

I spent a few hours immersed in toxic organic fumes today in the shed, while sleet and snow outside kept the resin temperatures low.

I painted the inside and outside of thigh and shin with resin, then bit at a time - poured in the slush-cast.

One thing I would do in future, is tape the knee joint together before doing anything. I was lucky that the slush-cast was still a bit pliable so I could bend and squeeze the knee together then tape them in place while it sets properly. Before I line the inside with fibreglass matt, I will do the same again.
JcUpII0.jpg

Ran into some problems with the knee joint aligning due to warping while resining. Here's a video to have a look why and a possible fix. Spread the word!

Sandbagger.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay dude saw your build on the rpf and can i say *AMAZING* well done im just finnishing my mark 7 arms, boots, neck and helmet the its a mark 6 or 42/8/47 dont know yet but might make a knee joint based on yours if its okay
anyways well done and food luck

,Speedtrix.

okay dude saw your build on the rpf and can i say *AMAZING* well done im just finnishing my mark 7 arms, boots, neck and helmet the its a mark 6 or 42/8/47 dont know yet but might make a knee joint based on yours if its okay
anyways well done and food luck

,Speedtrix.

No worries mate. I hope it goes well for you. The jury is still out on how mine will go, but I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Now the inside is slush-cast and the knee is taped tight into position, today I started laying in the fibreglass mat. Thigh and ankle flaps done.

I also found a broken headlight and thought the reflector inside would be great in the chest behind the arc-reactor LED's. I'll trim it to shape and see how it looks.

IvR4hQQ.jpg

1XJKO85.jpg

You are documenting your build very nicely. It is making me want to get back to work on my mkvi build. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

You are documenting your build very nicely. It is making me want to get back to work on my mkvi build. Keep up the good work and don't give up.

^^^ Thanks man.

Continuing on with the leg, I have found that the shape/form of the leg is still not keeping it's shape during the hardening process. I ended up cutting th ebraces out as they were getting in the way and the malshaping had already happened.

I've put a couple of rigid braces using the right length tools and put the heater in one end to see if some heat, time and pressure may help re-shape it.

DerN3Ey.jpg

I've also shot a little video asking if any Pep guru's out there can design some shaped plates to push into these legs and arms etc, to keep it's shape during the hardening process.

Finally, here's a couple of pics of the control flaps that go over the boots at the bottom of the ankle. They fit quite firmly over my pants and work boots, which means once I get the undersuit sorted with padding etc, it should still have plenty of room.

k4zyKKx.jpg

oooRXcQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey SB. I was think the same about the pep to put inside while hardening. If I could get hold of the obj files then I could make them but the authors of the pieces you are using would be the only ones who have them. If you could get them then I would be happy to make them for you but it's not likely they will just hand them out and getting hold of them would be difficult too.

Hey SB. I was think the same about the pep to put inside while hardening. If I could get hold of the obj files then I could make them but the authors of the pieces you are using would be the only ones who have them. If you could get them then I would be happy to make them for you but it's not likely they will just hand them out and getting hold of them would be difficult too.
Thanks Drack. I'll work on it when I get some time.

Awesome looking build. ;)

Thanks Thorn696.

I started working on the headlight reflector today to go behind the front face of the arc reactor. There looks to be a 50/50 chance I might like it or throw it away.

Gave the collar plates another application of filler, sanded than painted. I think I'll keep going until they are smoother, but they are looking ok so far. Getting it made is easy. Getting it perfect.... well that's another story. It's harder than you might think.

I've been having trouble articulating the elbow joint. It has broken already in two places. Fibreglass is hard, but also brittle. Now I've fabricated some reinforcing aluminium bar to join the upper and lower arm. It's a lot of fiddling about.

How do you guys join the elbow and knee joints on your pep suits?

KRlIPhq.jpg

OVhGo1b.jpg

maT3iOa.jpg

I hear you about the joints. I even had to do the same as you on my foam suit but because foam isn't brittle I just used plastic. The reason was almost the same though because foam can bend I didn't want my paint creasing. I would do the same for the knee joints. Build an endoskeleton for the parts to attach to so the aluminium takes the force. Almost like xrobots suit but not as complex.

It's been a while since I've had any time to work on the suit, but today I had a little time to put all I've done so far together on the tape dummy to see how it all sits.

I have some major adjustments to do on the waist/cod piece. I'm thinking of cutting the rigid sides off the waist/abs and replacing them with roam rubber. For the cod, all I need to do is cut and extend it slightly to give it a bit more diameter around the hips until the hip-pods are vertical.

At least it's still in the paper stage so that's not difficult.

eddY8fD.jpg

0vxuxVy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back