SBG's Halo 4 MC build.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok....Ok.....I'll keep it to Doll Houses and Frilly Lace Dresses and stuff.......You just want to suck all the joy out of it.......mblackwell1002, you're a fun sponge....you know that? Hey, 1 more post for you......500!!!!

Soo, I'm using my Disguise helm as a Guinea pig. I didn't put primer on, but pretty much all the silver will be covered up anyways. Didn't turn out to bad, just had to keep coming back and hitting some areas, because the paint was a little runny if I sprayed to much. Not to big of a deal, I managed. I plan to use the toothpaste technique for weathering. Could someone post some links to good tutorials on the weathering stuff? Don't wanna have to sit through a slew of videos just to find a good vid. Thanks guys!
IMG_20170417_173725.jpg
IMG_20170417_173617.jpg

I have yet to try the toothpaste or mustard technique. I may try this next time I paint a piece. I've been just sanding edges with sanding sponge and actually scraping some of my parts in the gravel driveway.

I actually prefer toothpaste. The process is really easy, just wipe your finger onto your toothpaste tube and lightly dab the toothpaste where you want it to be. For the most part, I use my finger, but some toothpicks help a bit too for smaller scratches you want.

Overall, just use some of those tooth products and you'll do fine. :)

Now how about that junk mail...how much wonderous junk mail have you received? :lol:

I actually prefer toothpaste. The process is really easy, just wipe your finger onto your toothpaste tube and lightly dab the toothpaste where you want it to be. For the most part, I use my finger, but some toothpicks help a bit too for smaller scratches you want.

Overall, just use some of those tooth products and you'll do fine. :)

Now how about that junk mail...how much wonderous junk mail have you received? :lol:

Instead of my finger, or the toothpick, could I use tiny paint brushes used for acrylics? My biggest concerns was, do I apply the toothpaste in thin layers like paint, or does it need to be a thicker layer. Also, once I apply my final color of paint, will I be able to tell where applied the toothpaste?

As for the answer to your question. No, I haven't received hordes of junk mail yet.

no, the toothpaste is too thick for paintbrushes. You want the paste on a little bit thick; you want to be able to scratch it off later.

Toothpaste can also be used as masking for the edges of masking tape. It really helps assure a sharp edge.

It's really easy to do. :)

here's the steps:

1: paint silver
2: apply toothpaste
3: apply color coat of your preference
4: lightly scratch off toothpaste
5: wipe off surface of helmet with a paper towel to assure no remaining toothpaste
6: be wowed by your Papeesheewoosh work!

the idea is that once you scratch off the paste, you'll expose the silver underneath.

I also grab some steel wool and rub it all over the surface to get some metallic particles on the green paint, resulting in a more metallic look. make sure to get some very fine steel wool.
after getting some metal dust all over it, do a clearcoat.

blackwash the whole thing with some very watered-down paint, rub the paint off.

grab the steel wool again, but lightly dip it in some silver acrylic. Wipe off a little excess silver paint on the wool with a paper towel, then lightly rub the wool onto the helmet. be sure to do fast strokes for a better effect. this is a version of dry-brushing, I just like the result a little bit better.

I also do some black steel wool dry-brushing, it adds a nice affect.

Hope this helps!!

Also, you know what's amazing? My browser now has an auto-correct for Papeesheewoosh. LOL!!! I'm laughing my butt off now!!

Last edited:
:D Whose cast is that, my friend? It looks like Xtremenoob's helmet, as the front check area isn't separated from the visor...but it's anyone's guess.
looks like it will be fun to paint!!

How does it fit?

Anyhow, Yeah, I'll do a mini tutorial, which will probably end up being a long tut; because I hate leaving stones unturned. :)

Sorry for super late reply, I've been really busy! The cast is from Hyperballistik. He is one of the guys with Stony props, and a member of the 405th. The Cheif helm you seen worn by the guys at impact props wears version 1. The helm version 2 which is the one that I have, was later updated with more details. Although there is some clean up, which is probably about 50 casts later, but clean up isn't to bad. Hyper did mention that its time for a new mold. Also, totally awesome price! $125 plus shipping! I'll share more info. once I get some more time.;) One more thing, hopefully you'll be able to do a tutorial soon. Trying to get things amped up, still have a lot to do before the end October. Thanks a bunch mblackwell1002. Ohh, almost forget. The helm fits very well!

Last edited:
IMG_20170422_131132.jpg
So I've been cleaning, and touching up the cast last couple of days during my lunch hour at work. Not a whole lot of progress, but definitely a lot of patience to bring out the details of the pill shaped slots on the back part of the neck. I had a pin hole on one of them, almost went all the way through. Another one I opened to wide, it made the rest look out of place. Instead of opening up all the rest of them a little more, I ended beveling the edges of the slots, which in turn blended in everything nicely. Still gonna touch them up a little more, but what you guys think? If you scroll back up to the earlier post with the pic of the slots, you can see the difference.

looks loads better, bro. It looks a lot nicer and cleaner; not to mention more noticeable.

Also, the only problem tut-wise is my lack of items to paint...:p

I'll probably just print an Halo Reach armor ability mod or 2 to make a tut from, considering I need to make one anyway.

Boooohhyaaahh!!!

I forgot your address, so now I saved that^ pic so I can have it when I need it. You're welcome. :D:D:D:D

I also accidentally spelled your name "jushua", so...your welcome for that too. you should be receiving lots of junk mail to a person named "Jushua Yourbad idea" LOL

Oh, and I sent you some breastfeeding pillow sample as well...HAHAHAHA
the site may not have taken it, I unsubscribed...but I hope it comes in soon...

so yeah...happy Papeesheewoosh-day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back