Scissors: Are Your Hands Crampt And Tired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT GRAVE

hey all, i meant to post this months ago. i noticed that cutting out 20 sheets have put some aches into my hands. so while i was at walmart, i went past the fabric section and found these awesome snips. they fit to your hand better. spring loaded and ergonomically correct. since i got these, i have had not problems, and noticed that most of my cut are straighter.

DSCN0858.jpg

Ghost147 said:
Yeah, i've seen this somewhere as well. But i still like exacto knifes the most :D

I second that. It's easier to me to use the exacto blade especially when working on the small curves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally have used the same exacto knife for a long time (changing the blades out of course when one got dull) as it works easier on my disability, but I might give those scissors a try, as everything deserves a first time go around.

You should definatly get an exacto knife, it is alot better for the pieces that have tiny edges and difficult cuts. I started out using scissors, but they just couldn't hack it when I moved onto the more difficult pieces.

Nintendude said:
I personally have used the same exacto knife for a long time (changing the blades out of course when one got dull) as it works easier on my disability, but I might give those scissors a try, as everything deserves a first time go around.

Agreed, i much prefer my 'xacto, but we should certainly never discredit something without due research/first hand experience. Heck, i have a pair of really old scissors, but they're the sharpest thing in my house! Apart from my wit, of course.

aaaand applause... but yeah, those look really comfy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone says to use a knife, but why? the only things that i have come across that need a knife are very small.

also most of the things that are cut out have the flaps, which dont need to be perfect because they are on the inside.

so aslong as the folds are good and straight, there shouldnt be any problems, right?

i use an xacto knife aswell casue for the most part i can cut a pep piece out alot faster with it ,plus very little scraps laying on the floor just one big sheet with pieces stamped out of it lol

You'd be very surprised on how much accuracy with your cutting affects the overall quality of your build. If there's too much excess around the tabs, parts might not fit together well and eventually you'll end up with a badly-shaped piece. The same goes for edges - if you cut too much off, or perhaps not enough and there's excess, you'll end up with similar problems later on when all the little faults add up.

Honestly, the best tool to use in cutting out your pieces is a craft knife/Exacto knife, paired with perhaps a metal ruler if you're not confident about running those straight lines without some guidance. Try to cut just on the line as opposed to outside or inside it, and if it helps, you can set the print quality in Pepakura to 'high quality bitmap'. This should give you nice, clean, thin lines that are easy to follow, but reduce the amount of problems that could eventually affect your build.

End result: a professional build, without your hands aching, and much less waste paper pieces strewn about your work area.

Not to say that scissors don't have their place - I prefer to cut extremely large pieces out with a decent pair of tailor's scissors, specifically support struts and the such where accuracy isn't so vital.

ok i see your point. im not fighting here, just trying to see why you guys do this.

even thou some pieces dont fit right, or any other defect in building the model, once it is fibered, bondo will hide any defect and smooth the model so that it looks right, just like auto-body repair. when you form a piece of sheet, weld it into place, grind down the defect weld spots, then bondo it, it looks like nothing ever happened... if your a good painter, which i am not..

i know that my EOD would have looked better if i got an artist to paint it up for me, but still you cant see all the screw ups that are on it (like the chunks from a dremil gone wild..oopse) cause of hte finishing that i did.

also it would have looked even better if i did the HD build

Could you provide the exact name or brand of those scissors? That or a link would be wonderful. I like to cut out pep pieces as much as possible with scissors then use an exacto knife to trim the rest off. I don't use tabs either so scissors work really well for my purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back