Serious Roadblock!

Do not vote until reading thread

• Just do it!! (OMG naughty!!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't do it!! (aww, well theres when you move out...)

• Secretly but stop if caught!! (OMG put it away!!)

• Secretly but try to persuade if caught!! (OMG its not what it looks like!!)

• Try to persuade them to let you!! (Its good for the environment, ahem papercraft!!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SparTom007

Jr Member
OH HAI!
Thanks for coming to this thread as you probably are thinking "it can't be that bad", and to be honest it isn't, but I feel the need to put this problem forward for reasons I will tell further down...
I'm 16 from the UK so I still live with my parents (mum and stepdad actually) and in September I will be going back to school. I just got a job (today actually as I write this was the day I got it) so money shouldn't be a big problem. Anywho, I was talking to my mum yesterday and she asked me how my armour was coming (I had to show it off around the house lol) and I said I haven't started the proper version yet because I am not going to until I am experienced enough with pepakura and have all the stuff I need like the card, glue, spraypaint, fibreglass and resin. At that point she interrupted me saying how do you plan on having that done? I said I'll either do it in the garden here or at grandads. She says no its too much, just because you seen someone else do it who was probably an expert, it doesnt mean you will be able to. I said I'm 16 now and might be 17 and driving by the time I am ready to resin it so I can. She said well we'll just have to see because you can't resin in the garden then because the decking and patio will be done by then. I said OK I'll ask grandad can he help me do it because I want to use his gloves, goggles and mask anyway. The conversation topic changed (unheated btw, I do not condone being disrespectful to parents and I bet 405th doesnt) and in my mind I wondered... There is probably a large number of youths who still live with their parents/guardians on 405th, I wonder if anyone else has this problem and if they do are they too embarassed to put it online.
I made this thread to ask that question and for people to embarassed to ask:

Imagine/you are in this situation and you need to persuade your parents to (at whatever stage) let you finish/start/continue making your armour. What do you do?
Just do your armour against their wishes
Don't do the armour, their house, their rules
Do the armour secretly and if they find out stop
"" ""do the below
Try to persuade them to let you

If you would try to persuade them then please share your ideas on how to do this (eg bribery, explanation of glory, fandom, competitions, party costume, something to keep you occupied and out of trouble)

If you chose any other reasons please say why too
Also, say things like try to persuade (and how) but if they say no then do secretly and feel free to express what you think of this thread

Thanks for taking the time to read this, it was a large amount to digest but I hope that by doing this that I am helping someone with a similar problem but is too embarassed to ask for help.

-SparTom

I would just show them the work of users here on this forum, and keep in mind that they have more wisdom than you do because they are older and have had their own share of mishaps.

Tell them your reasons for wanting to make the armor, and why you believe it is a good venture,

Best of luck

- Darke

darkesword2020 said:
I would just show them the work of users here on this forum, and keep in mind that they have more wisdom than you do because they are older and have had their own share of mishaps.

Tell them your reasons for wanting to make the armor, and why you believe it is a good venture,

Best of luck

- Darke
Thanks, when I decide what to do and if it comes to it I will show them this.
To be honest, I am mostly sore that this is the first thing in my life I have decided to do as a personal project (usually I used to just web browse and read books for constructive things to do) which I have promised myself I will keep to and not give up no matter what and my mum isnt supporting me at all (shunting me even!) My stepdad has only been stepdad for little time so I am not really that tight with him for a proper fatherson style bonding thing with this project. Also, I don't think he would want to help because hes more of a business man and his hobby is err bus spotting (yeah I LOLed too the first time) but my grandad would help!

Thanks

-SparTom

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, age is not so much as a problem as experience and knowledge. There are lots of minors on here, some with excellent armor. I, myself, have been on here and making armor since I was 17. Albiet, not good armor at first, but I'm getting better.

alexonekenobe said:
it matters if ur parents are soft if so just keep on bothering them about
Nah, my mum can be a real *beep* when she wants to be. She's not soft and if I pester my stepdad he will hide behind her but I wouldn't do that anyway.
I know you were just trying to help but that was a stupid thing to say.

I would explain to your Mom that this is a project that you are very interested and that you wish to start with the Pepakura helm. Once you've made a couple or so, and your skill has increased, show it to your Mom. When ready to attempt the next stage, resining the outside of the helm, ask permission to seek help from your Grandfather. Once that is finished, ask to do the fiberglassing. I.E. asking permission after each accomplished step to go to the next step. Show your Mom that you can be responsible and that your skill is increasing, using your helm as proof.

Express how this hobby will help you in life by providing a challenging project that you must finish to reach your desired result which is a Master Chief helm (or whatever you intend to make). Once the project is complete and you have shown your Mom that you are responsible and capable of starting AND finishing such a project, only then ask to start on the rest of the armor.

Good luck!

Tell her that if you become really good at it, you could make alot of money with armor building..
Money usually softens the type of parents you have.

Tell her its an awesome hobby and that there are plenty of experts to help out on the forum...and you can maybe add in that it keeps you from doing drugs............lol

The solution is simple. Make something small. Show her you can make something. then make something a bit bigger, as you get better, you'll learn more. Honestly, a suit of armour is not a good choice to start off with, the learning curve is pretty steep.

i 100% agree with mawr.
that seems like the most prudent course of action. step by step..
ALSO dont use resin and bondo as it is terrible for your health..
if you ARE interested in trying resin... USE AQUA RESIN
http://www.aquaresin.com/
there is an ENTIRE thread dedicated to this NON TOXIC product. im sure your parents are mostly concerned about your safety as some of these products are dangerous.. but aquaresin is water soluble and can produce results as good as bondo or resin... and you can fiberglass with it as well....

just search for skullcandygirl's aqua resin post. http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8678

also when i read your posts i am reading all your posts in a Brittish accent... lol is that bad .. i cant help it.

edatron said:
i 100% agree with mawr.
that seems like the most prudent course of action. step by step..
ALSO dont use resin and bondo as it is terrible for your health..
if you ARE interested in trying resin... USE AQUA RESIN
http://www.aquaresin.com/
there is an ENTIRE thread dedicated to this NON TOXIC product. im sure your parents are mostly concerned about your safety as some of these products are dangerous.. but aquaresin is water soluble and can produce results as good as bondo or resin... and you can fiberglass with it as well....

just search for skullcandygirl's aqua resin post. http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8678

also when i read your posts i am reading all your posts in a Brittish accent... lol is that bad .. i cant help it.
Thanks, I'll be sure to look at it. btw you probably read it like that because I am British lol. I have a more northwest accent and dialect though so its more scouse/wool.
Mawr, I see what you are saying but I have already made a helmet in pepakura which was good because even though it was paper it didnt warp. I wasnt ever and am still not planning on using that version to resin btw. That helmet was what I meant when I said show off around the house. I also did an assault rifle but it turned out kinda crappy and squashed (hard to use tape and paper when there is no opening to press parts together like in helmet.
Thanks anyway guys
still waiting for more input though...
- SparTom

EDIT: Damn, they don't sell aquaresin in the UK but to be honest, I wouldn't know which type to use!

I am having this exact problem right now. I've saved up all the money I need to make the armour, asked my mum to order the card for me, and she said 'NO!'

I told her what I'm making, she said 'NO! What are you going to do with it once you've made it? And what are you going to make it with?'

I told her I'd be using Fibreglass Resin, she said 'It's too toxic for a young boy like you.' (I'm 15; not so young...)

I said 'Fine, how about if I use something less toxic?'

'Like what? she said.

'Some people make it with hot glue.' (She knows I've used this at school before, so she can't say I'm too young...)

'And how are you going to afford all this?'

I handed her a spreadsheet with the cost of everything on there (including P&P)

Obviously I was wrong in thinking that this would show her that if I'm old enough to manage my own finances, surely I should be old enough to make some armour.

'It's a waste of money.' she said.

'It's creative.' I said.

'It's not a waste, and it's not money, it's my money. Surely I should have the right to do with it what I wish.'

'I'm not ordering the paper.'

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

=Ω24= Leyton said:
I am having this exact problem right now. I've saved up all the money I need to make the armour, asked my mum to order the card for me, and she said 'NO!'

I told her what I'm making, she said 'NO! What are you going to do with it once you've made it? And what are you going to make it with?'

I told her I'd be using Fibreglass Resin, she said 'It's too toxic for a young boy like you.' (I'm 15; not so young...)

I said 'Fine, how about if I use something less toxic?'

'Like what? she said.

'Some people make it with hot glue.' (She knows I've used this at school before, so she can't say I'm too young...)

'And how are you going to afford all this?'

I handed her a spreadsheet with the cost of everything on there (including P&P)

Obviously I was wrong in thinking that this would show her that if I'm old enough to manage my own finances, surely I should be old enough to make some armour.

'It's creative.' I said.

'It's not a waste, and it's not money, it's my money. Surely I should have the right to do with it what I wish.'

'I'm not ordering the paper.'

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Necro post. Check the dates of topics before posting on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back